St Mirren should welcome relegation.

As it says in the title I think it would do St Mirren the world of good going down this year. They've been the "nearly relegated" team so often it's getting embarrassing. They celebrate not getting relegated like they've won the world cup.

I put it to he sensible decent folk of P&B that this would give them the chance to re-build, gather some momentum and come back up a better team.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's St Mirren's home record since moving to the new ground? I know they started with an epic winless home streak, and they're in another one right now, of course. Can't have helped with making St Mirren Park feel like home.

Surprised to see that this is season #9 in the top flight. Throw in the League Cup and that's not a bad achievement.

As it says in the title I think it would do St Mirren the world of good going down this year. They've been the "nearly relegated" team so often it's getting embarrassing. They celebrate not getting relegated like they've won the world cup.

I put it to he sensible decent folk of P&B that this would give them the chance to re-build, gather some momentum and come back up a better team.

Great post.

How bad could relegation actually be for St Mirren? Gilmour has sounded pretty scared of it but I don't really see how badly they could do out of it.

The STV page has 9 players out of contract (including Marwood but not Arquin) and you would imagine that if the board had common sense, most of the squad would have relegation clauses cutting a percentage of their wages.

The prize money difference is less than what it has been in the past and the parachute payment would help as well. Also got McLean and McGinn who would move on for decent money.

Although it wouldn't be ideal, there would be players left over who would form the spine of a decent team and probably be competing for promotion. The strength of the league might mean that it'll be a bit more difficult at first but it shouldn't be a disaster scenario with what they have left.

Gilmour to me seems to be scaremongering his support to try and force them to sell the club ASAP. Reminds me a bit of when the Texas takeover went through at Dundee and information was spread that we would have had a ridiculously low budget. In reality, the investment accounted for around four players initially and although we weren't run in the most efficient way, there wasn't any real immediate danger apart from the impatience of some supporters who expected a team to instantly compete in the top flight. Things have worked out OK for us I guess but I'm still a bit pissed off with the misinformation campaign that forced the deal through.

Archived