Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

1 hour ago, Callous_Pint said:

Decided to start watching this having just completed watching the stunning Breaking Bad - it seemed like the natural progression, and I had a pretty burning desire to learn more of this world and the characters within. 

Unfortunately, what I seem to have been watching thus far can only be described as a complete and utter crock of shite. 

The standout performer in Breaking Bad - a certain roustabout Government agent in Hank Schrader, played by Dean Norris - appears to have been bombed out. Perhaps he has been deemed too "everyman" for this art-house vanity project.

What on Earth was Vince Gilligan thinking? Perhaps the brilliance of Breaking Bad was despite his flagrant incompetence and not because of any perceived directorial mastery.

Having worked my way through, I found myself threatening to fall into possibly even enjoying the show, with the affable character of Werner Ziegler in particular capturing my imagination. However - in true Gilligan style - Werner was needlessly killed, in a "twist" as disappointing as it was tragically foreseeable. What Better Call Saul delivers is some sort of pseudo-improvement on Breaking Bad, where the pace of a snail and snooty cinematography fools simpler audiences into being wooed by a direly lacking product.

image.gif

BCS is a back story of one character.  BB is a full blown drugs war, shown from both sides of the law.  Of course it's going to be a different pace ffs.

18 hours ago, Callous_Pint said:

Decided to start watching this having just completed watching the stunning Breaking Bad - it seemed like the natural progression, and I had a pretty burning desire to learn more of this world and the characters within. 

Unfortunately, what I seem to have been watching thus far can only be described as a complete and utter crock of shite. 

The standout performer in Breaking Bad - a certain roustabout Government agent in Hank Schrader, played by Dean Norris - appears to have been bombed out. Perhaps he has been deemed too "everyman" for this art-house vanity project.

What on Earth was Vince Gilligan thinking? Perhaps the brilliance of Breaking Bad was despite his flagrant incompetence and not because of any perceived directorial mastery.

Having worked my way through, I found myself threatening to fall into possibly even enjoying the show, with the affable character of Werner Ziegler in particular capturing my imagination. However - in true Gilligan style - Werner was needlessly killed, in a "twist" as disappointing as it was tragically foreseeable. What Better Call Saul delivers is some sort of pseudo-improvement on Breaking Bad, where the pace of a snail and snooty cinematography fools simpler audiences into being wooed by a direly lacking product.

Hiya Dean, hiya pal 

• 2 months later...
On 17/04/2019 at 20:24, Busta Nut said:

So putting 2 & 2 together.

There is a BB movie on the way.

BCS has been pushed to 2020.

Movie in the winter, Saul about this time next year??

I think that maybe the movie is a smokescreen for them filming post BB stuff with Jessie in it, which will actually be part of BCS.

Him and Saul/Gene coming together in some way to close out both their stories.

On 22/04/2019 at 21:53, Callous_Pint said:

To all of you down-voting and mocking my earlier critique on Better Call Saul, would you care to discuss it like men or just continue to leave sneering comments and sniping red dots?

f**k off Barry Norman

On 22/04/2019 at 21:53, Callous_Pint said:

To all of you down-voting and mocking my earlier critique on Better Call Saul, would you care to discuss it like men or just continue to leave sneering comments and sniping red dots?

5289F44F-E282-4C3C-AAEC-E5F36AA4C7BB.gif

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 01:00, Callous_Pint said:

Image result for better call saul gif

To my knowledge Barry Norman is now deceased. Am I to take this as a threat against me?

In any case, he was an extremely respected and revered film critic, two reputations which I certainly do not appear to hold on this forum. I appear to be more a figure worthy of disdain and ridicule. Then again I am surrounded by fans of Better Call Saul, which says more than I ever could.

For less cultured minds, I can understand how being part of an echo chamber such as this one can bring feelings of inclusion and gratification. However, true enlightenment can only be obtained when one opens one's mind up to opposing and seemingly controversial views.

Having previously been beset by arrogance regarding such opposing views, I can say for all here that I sincerely hope that personal growth comes swiftly. Then perhaps one day we can converse on this forum as opposites, but equals.

3 minutes ago, Callous_Pint said:

To my knowledge Barry Norman is now deceased. Am I to take this as a threat against me?

In any case, he was an extremely respected and revered film critic, two reputations which I certainly do not appear to hold on this forum. I appear to be more a figure worthy of disdain and ridicule. Then again I am surrounded by fans of Better Call Saul, which says more than I ever could.

For less cultured minds, I can understand how being part of an echo chamber such as this one can bring feelings of inclusion and gratification. However, true enlightenment can only be obtained when one opens one's mind up to opposing and seemingly controversial views.

Having previously been beset by arrogance regarding such opposing views, I can say for all here that I sincerely hope that personal growth comes swiftly. Then perhaps one day we can converse on this forum as opposites, but equals.

You should hook up with Kincardine, m8.

His verbosity also knows no bounds.

2 hours ago, Callous_Pint said:

... and on a Better Call Saul thread, no less. It's outrageous. Maybe you should try harder. I'm sure everyone would appreciate that.

4 minutes ago, Callous_Pint said:

Literally all I've called for is an intelligent debate surrounding better call Saul, namely how it isn't what it's cracked up to be. For you to infer what you appear to be inferring when said debates should be the sole currency on forums such as these is obtuse in the extreme.

People disagree with you. Deal with it. Or, y'know, try harder. And for the record, I'm implying. You're the one that's inferring.

Looks like we've got a penny store, two-bit pseudo-intellectual on our hands here :lol: 

I will bite. Better Call Saul is magnificent and goes into hefty detail on the backstory of not only the entire landscape we are shown in your beloved Hank Schrader's Breaking Bad-era Albuquerque, but the characters within it - including those who shape those very characters. It's obviously not going to progress at a breakneck speed, but if you value true character development - in my opinion, Hank's is one of the poorest-developed arcs within Breaking Bad - then I don't see why anyone wouldn't be a massive fan of BCS, other than to display the bizarre level of ignorance and devil's advocacy you appear to be showcasing here.

5 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Looks like we've got a penny store, two-bit pseudo-intellectual on our hands here :lol: 

I will bite. Better Call Saul is magnificent and goes into hefty detail on the backstory of not only the entire landscape we are shown in your beloved Hank Schrader's Breaking Bad-era Albuquerque, but the characters within it - including those who shape those very characters. It's obviously not going to progress at a breakneck speed, but if you value true character development - in my opinion, Hank's is one of the poorest-developed arcs within Breaking Bad - then I don't see why anyone wouldn't be a massive fan of BCS, other than to display the bizarre level of ignorance and devil's advocacy you appear to be showcasing here.

Oh, look! Another member of the Gilligan brigade! Spare me.

15 hours ago, Callous_Pint said:

giphy (22).gif