Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

What a wonderful series BB was and BCS has been, the equal of BB for me, if not better. When i started watching it a few years back i struggled to get into it, and stopped at end of season 2. I dont no why in retrospect. Something didnt click. But on catching up on the whole thing since beginning of 2022, it is fantastic, and one day im sure ill do it all again.

Spin off - Doubt realistically there will be one, but gotta be about Lalo for me. Stood out above all else, in a cast and storyline of awesomeness.

I thought that was wonderful. Genuinely shed a wee bit of a tear at the Chuck scene. It was a wee bit more of a wholesome ending than I was expecting after last week, but it’s probably the perfect send off. Just excellent throughout, and some of the best acting I’ve ever seen in a series. 

Thought it was a wonderful send off.

Here's a silly suggestion for a spin-off, sequel, prequel. Animated "shorts" It'd maybe lean into the comedy more, but still get little snippets into the world. Do an episode on a particular character(s). Slippin' Jimmy scam, Lyle's first day at Los Pollos Hermanos. Jesse, Badger & Skinny Pete get up to something.

Thought that was decent. Friend of mine said it was anti-climactic but I have no idea what he was expecting. Fitting end for Jimmy probably. Good to see him come clean and also admit he has guilt about Chuck.

Probably my favourite drama series ever. This or the Wire. Just brilliant TV from start to finish. There was excellent acting from all of the main cast throughout (and obviously Odenkirk is tremendous) but I thought Rhea Seehorn was particularly good. Really enjoyed watching Kim's character evolve through the show.

10 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Thought it was a wonderful send off.

Here's a silly suggestion for a spin-off, sequel, prequel. Animated "shorts" It'd maybe lean into the comedy more, but still get little snippets into the world. Do an episode on a particular character(s). Slippin' Jimmy scam, Lyle's first day at Los Pollos Hermanos. Jesse, Badger & Skinny Pete get up to something.

Believe it or no, this actually exists already. Animated Slippin Jimmy shorts...

It's absolutely shite! 

3 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Thought that was decent. Friend of mine said it was anti-climactic but I have no idea what he was expecting. 

I think I feel the same as your mate. I think they wanted to reverse the message of BB which, at times, felt a bit like "crime is cool"... Walt was gonna die anyway but that way he gets to die having beaten all his enemies and with a smile on his face, while "Baby Blue" blasts out, serenading his real true love.

BCS went against that and had a grim, albeit somewhat redemptory, ending. It was probably the right thing to do but still left me feeling a bit sad. I think I wanted him lying on a beach in Mexico surrounded by coke, hookers and big piles of cash.

Think the ending was perfect. Everything was earned, nothing was just wrap written for the sake of it. Everyone is where they should/deserve to be.

Looking at the triumvirate of Walt, Jesse & Saul....dead, free, jailed. Each had the most appropriate ending

18 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think I feel the same as your mate. I think they wanted to reverse the message of BB which, at times, felt a bit like "crime is cool"... Walt was gonna die anyway but that way he gets to die having beaten all his enemies and with a smile on his face, while "Baby Blue" blasts out, serenading his real true love.

BCS went against that and had a grim, albeit somewhat redemptory, ending. It was probably the right thing to do but still left me feeling a bit sad. I think I wanted him lying on a beach in Mexico surrounded by coke, hookers and big piles of cash.

Yeah I can get that. Tbh I don't think I would have been really against some kind of "Saul" ending where he manages to find a loophole to get off with it or goes off and manages to stay on the run.

But I liked how it was a very down beat and sorta depressing "Jimmy" ending. It just kinda felt right to me in the tone of the show.

Edited by AuAl

On WW, his scene in the finale just nailed down what an absolute c**t he is. Dismissive, arrogant, wouldn't even change things to save his family pain....and the last comment about Jimmy "never changing" was just so insightless in the extreme. It's him that's gone too far and would never change, Jimmy did in the end even when Walt and Chuck were throwing that accusation around at him. 

1 minute ago, AuAl said:

Yeah I can get that. Tbh I don't think I would have been against some kind of "Saul" ending where he manages to find a loophole to get off with it or goes off and manages to stay on the run.

But I liked how it was a very down beat and sorta depressing "Jimmy" ending. It just kinda felt right to me in the tone of the show.

I think we got the Gene ending, the Saul revival and ending, then the Jimmy ending.

Absolutely tremendous final season and genuinely gutted that's the series over. Have really enjoyed the weekly release of episodes too and the buildup to each one being aired. Odenkirk excellent as usual but, as others have said, Seehorn really stole the show.

Have never really re-watched tv series but very tempted to start over on BB now!

Aye I was surprised at how much anger I felt at Walt in that scene. Reminder of what an arsehole he was (great character but). 

Really liked the timeline mixing overall. The small details like in the last episode when Marion was watching the Saul Goodman videos on the laptop, and the reflection of the screen in Gene's glasses is in colour - despite all the surroundings being back and white. It's tiny things but I think it works so well. Loved BCS for that kinda detail.

Edited by AuAl

I'll be honest, I had a bubble at the last 20 mins or so, partly because of the events unfolding on screen, partly because I knew it was ending.

Ending with him and Kim, stood against a wall, sharing a sneaky cigarette set me off again. I wanted the happy ending for both but the events of Breaking Bad set far too much in motion for that to ever happen.

All very bittersweet in the end. 

What a show. What a body of work.