Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

Bob Odenkirk said the next episode features the scene that they were filming when he had his heart attack.

Three quarters of the scene is footage from just before he took ill and a quarter from afterwards. He says he cannot remember a single thing from the scene before he collapsed.

I hadn't even considered that was a thing during this series. Seems so long ago that he took unwell.

Really enjoyed the latest episode. Got a quick question though.

Spoiler

How did Lalo actually get his life ending injuries as Gus' gun didn't seem to fire?

Really enjoyed the latest episode. Got a quick question though.
Spoiler

How did Lalo actually get his life ending injuries as Gus' gun didn't seem to fire?

It's difficult to see because the camera angle is behind Lalo's gun but Gus does fire his own gun five times.

4 hours ago, charger29 said:

It's difficult to see because the camera angle is behind Lalo's gun but Gus does fire his own gun five times.

Cheers, I got the impression it clicked but didn't fire not that Gustavo would leave things to chance....

Cheers, I got the impression it clicked but didn't fire not that Gustavo would leave things to chance....

I thought Gus’ gun didn’t fire too. I wondered if Lalo’s gun had deflected off something and he essentially shot himself.

Gus only had a revolver, which would appear to be a model with only the 5 chambers in a cylinder. As he gets off 5 shots. It all happens in the span of a second with Lalo firing so it's maybe not the clearest. Slow it down you can see the exchange where they trade shots and Gus gets 4 shots in.

image.thumb.png.413efe2d5d3e9d961a261589ed57e84d.png

It then transitions to a close up on Gus where he gets the 5th and final shot in before hitting empty.

image.thumb.png.5dd4b434c1d7b42d3c26c26bce659e40.png

Gus of course choosing a revolver, because even though they have fewer shots. Their reputation is on jamming less often. Kind of important considering it would be sat down there for an unknown period of time. Plus can be more powerful than your typical handgun.

BCS Tuesday! 

Definitely think the happy ending is on for Gene now the way that Jimmy and Kim parted ways, there has to be a reunion there! 

Time jump was perfect, no time for a wallowing Jimmy episode. Hello Saul Goodman! 

Loved Mike finding a big ol' cum splodge on their floor! And thought we were gonna get some full frontal Saul schlong at the end there when he got out of bed! Turning a bit blue this! 

Edited by Christophe

What a season this is turning out to be! In other news, I visited Gus's Superlab Laundry in Albuquerque last week. Sadly, it's in a part of town that didn't make me feel comfortable getting out of my car, or even stopping my car, to take a photo at 10 o'clock at night, and three cop cars parked across the street just made it worse. The car wash from BB is still a car wash (Mister Car Wash, imaginatively enough) but they've put a wee museum in the waiting area with cast cards and a replica of the vending machine. Walter White's house has a fence around it and sign basically telling people to f**k off if they're thinking of throwing a pizza slice on the roof.

Spoiler

A nice, satisfying closure for the prequel. I was initially unsure about Gus' wine bar scene. When thinking about it a bit more, it's a great scene in terms of broadening his character and confirming his desire to remain unattached from anyone else whilst in this line of business. Most writers would focus solely on forward-moving storylines and action scenes as their series draws to an end, but for me, that's what makes the writing of BB and BCS stand out as particularly intelligent and thoughtful in comparison.

I imagine we'll see Walt and Jesse next week.

Another superbly directed, edited and scored cold open with over 6 minutes before a word of dialogue.

Yeah, lots of closures from this timeline...Gus, HHM, Kim but most of all Jimmy McGill. I was half expecting WW and JP to occupy those 2 seats in front of his desk. We'll just have to wait till next week.

Spoiler

Has IMDB been given previews of the final 4 episodes?

image.png.50fcad4b8315343ae7a1a10772a1590b.png

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I was half expecting WW and JP to occupy those 2 seats in front of his desk. We'll just have to wait till next week.

I saw...

Spoiler

...a YouTube guy who had gone through the closing timeskip in some detail and saw the tag on the LWYRUP license plate was 2005, and the handicapped sign that he hangs on the mirror has an expiry date of 2008 and they have a three year lifespan. So he's pretty sure the skip forward takes us about 12 months from the normal BCS timeline to 2005, around three years still before the start of the BB timeline.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Another superbly directed, edited and scored cold open with over 6 minutes before a word of dialogue.

Yeah, lots of closures from this timeline...Gus, HHM, Kim but most of all Jimmy McGill. I was half expecting WW and JP to occupy those 2 seats in front of his desk. We'll just have to wait till next week.

Hide contents

Has IMDB been given previews of the final 4 episodes?

image.png.50fcad4b8315343ae7a1a10772a1590b.png

I haven't rewatched BB since it aired so I wasn't sure if they were ending on the first meeting between Walt & Saul.

A podcast I listen to swears when they checked Wiki a couple of weeks ago that the next episode was called Walt & Jesse. Before being changed to Nippy. When Nippy was officially announced it was speculated as the end of the BCS timeline since it split from the A & B episode titles this season

On a different note the scene that Bob Odenkirk had his heart attack. I've seen it said it was in this week's episode. It was actually last week during the Saul, Kim, and Lalo scene. They'd done the close ups and then it happened. Weeks later they came back and shot the wide shots.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I haven't rewatched BB since it aired so I wasn't sure if they were ending on the first meeting between Walt & Saul.

Hide contents

A podcast I listen to swears when they checked Wiki a couple of weeks ago that the next episode was called Walt & Jesse. Before being changed to Nippy. When Nippy was officially announced it was speculated as the end of the BCS timeline since it split from the A & B episode titles this season

On a different note the scene that Bob Odenkirk had his heart attack. I've seen it said it was in this week's episode. It was actually last week during the Saul, Kim, and Lalo scene. They'd done the close ups and then it happened. Weeks later they came back and shot the wide shots.

Where did you hear that? Odenkirk said himself the scenes he done prior to his heart attack were in this week's episode. He looked like hell at the HHM wake. 

Loved the Jimmy and Kim parting of ways. Was perfectly heartbreaking and also gives hope of a happy ending for both of them.

The skip forward in time was also very well done as well, I actually thought it was him waking up with Kim in a motel for a second before realising where he was.

Rhea Seehorn also said it was the scene with Lalo last week.

The scene in last week’s episode where Jimmy and Kim are both still in the apartment with Lalo had to be filmed in chunks several weeks apart because Bob had his heart attack in between, right?
Yes, but I want to make sure nobody is looking for that moment of, “Is that where he’s getting ready to go?” Because it’s not there. It was a very difficult scene to shoot with a lot of coverage [the camera filming one actor at a time]. We had shot the majority of Bob and my stuff, and then we had to come back and turn around do Tony [Dalton]’s side.

'Better Call Saul' Star Rhea Seehorn on Jimmy & Kim's 'Alarming' Fight - Rolling Stone