Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

Did we really need 5 minutes build-up of him fixing his kid's bike and struggling to start his car?

Yes we did, as it obviously gave you the buildup to this guys character and to whether or not you cared if his car blew up or not, which everybody watching was expecting thinking he was a wrong-un hiding behind a normal family life and was about to be dealt with by Gus or Hector as we thought he had stolen something which he was very worried about losing, to that end it was a very well used device which played with your emotions and involved you in the scene!!!
Or you may be equally justifiably annoyed that it DID play with your emotions in such a way that the expected explosive pay-off didn't happen!!!
Both ways worked and either way shows how easy it is to be drawn in by well written and paced plot devices such as this!!!

18 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Yes we did, as it obviously gave you the buildup to this guys character and to whether or not you cared if his car blew up or not, which everybody watching was expecting thinking he was a wrong-un hiding behind a normal family life and was about to be dealt with by Gus or Hector as we thought he had stolen something which he was very worried about losing, to that end it was a very well used device which played with your emotions and involved you in the scene!!!
Or you may be equally justifiably annoyed that it DID play with your emotions in such a way that the expected explosive pay-off didn't happen!!!
Both ways worked and either way shows how easy it is to be drawn in by well written and paced plot devices such as this!!!

Aye, fair enough. Although I thought it was pretty obvious the car wasn't going to blow, 'cos that's exactly what you expected would happen. 

However, did I miss something with the ending? Jimmy offering to make a cup of coffee?!?!

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Aye, fair enough. Although I thought it was pretty obvious the car wasn't going to blow, 'cos that's exactly what you expected would happen. 
However, did I miss something with the ending? Jimmy offering to make a cup of coffee?!?!

Think that was probably the real first moment of Jimmy becoming Saul, he knew he had a part in Chuck's death but when Howard said he felt responsible Jimmy took that opportunity to shift ALL of the blame onto him and so therefore absolve himself of any guilt that he may have felt, "That's your cross to bear Howard" and the making coffee was him washing his hands and moving on seemingly untouched the way Saul would do and does, remaining connected but not legally responsible, snaking around the criminality of his connections, involved but not personally so, IMO!!!

The latest episode was excellent, from Mike just being Mike to Gus being "c**t" Gus and Jimmy's job interview, twas brilliant!!!

Great episode will be interesting to see where Jimmy goes after getting Mike involved in a job, could Mike be caught and "Saul' defend him, its great to have the twins and the doctor from BB back in as well.

On 14/08/2018 at 12:24, King Kebab said:

Think that was probably the real first moment of Jimmy becoming Saul, he knew he had a part in Chuck's death but when Howard said he felt responsible Jimmy took that opportunity to shift ALL of the blame onto him and so therefore absolve himself of any guilt that he may have felt, "That's your cross to bear Howard" and the making coffee was him washing his hands and moving on seemingly untouched the way Saul would do and does, remaining connected but not legally responsible, snaking around the criminality of his connections, involved but not personally so, IMO!!!

Interesting that you and many others are buying into all this, it's certainly what the producers are hoping for.  I've enjoyed countless character based shows/films that are slow paced and find BCS pretty grim.  There's a boxer called Arthur Abraham that does nothing for the first 2.5 mins of every round then finishes with a quick flurry in an attempt to catch the judges attention favourably, which is the sporting version of this series.  This wouldn't  have gone beyond the first season (which it basically still is) if it wasn't for Breaking Bad imo.

25 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Interesting that you and many others are buying into all this, it's certainly what the producers are hoping for.  I've enjoyed countless character based shows/films that are slow paced and find BCS pretty grim.  There's a boxer called Arthur Abraham that does nothing for the first 2.5 mins of every round then finishes with a quick flurry in an attempt to catch the judges attention favourably, which is the sporting version of this series.  This wouldn't  have gone beyond the first season (which it basically still is) if it wasn't for Breaking Bad imo.

Agree to an extent, but I also thought Breaking Bad took a hell of a long time to get going also. If not for the outstanding reviews I'd have given up by the end of season 3, thinking it was shite.

I expect this will wind up the same, but it is taking it's time.

5 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Agree entirely, it's like pulling teeth. We know how things end up aswell so there's no mystery. Wish they had just done a straight spin-off rather than a prequel, Saul Goodman is a terrific character while Jimmy is utterly dull.