Who's Going Down?

594 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Out of curiousity I checked the league table for this stage when we got relegated in 2005. Suddenly I don't feel quite so relaxed about dodging the play off spot. If I were a Thistle fan I'd be getting twitchy. When teams at the bottom hit form simultaneously it can trigger frighteningly quick changes to assumptions about "safety".

zvbza1.jpg

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be surprised if anyone went through the forum and found more than a couple of posts by Thistle fans proclaiming us safe. Fans of other teams, maybe.

If we lose our next 2 and so do Killie it's a genuine 4 way post split fight to avoid one place.

I think 42 points is the magic number, probably 41 for us unless we suffer some wild beatings in the games we lose.

If Sevco reach the play off final, the whole of Scottish football, bar Sevconians, will be supporting their opponents whoever it is out of St Mirren, County, Motherwell or ourselves

Apart from Celtic fans ;)

Shits getting real tight and can't say I'm not worried. We're playing ok but County and Well on their unstoppable streaks puts us in seriously deep shit.

Given that Thistle have finally overcome their two-wins-in-a-row hoodoo recently, you'd expect them to be alright.

But then the Thistle squad's psychology has been extremely brittle since the beginning of last season

I think 42 points is the magic number, probably 41 for us unless we suffer some wild beatings in the games we lose.

Jim McIntyre mentioned 42 points before the win at Dundee United at the weekend. That's three wins and two draws from Motherwell from their last six matches, which is perfectly achievable for them with the amount of goals in their team.

It's three wins for County, with two matches against St Mirren still to play.

I'm not sure 42 points could be enough now!

Out of curiousity I checked the league table for this stage when we got relegated in 2005. Suddenly I don't feel quite so relaxed about dodging the play off spot. If I were a Thistle fan I'd be getting twitchy. When teams at the bottom hit form simultaneously it can trigger frighteningly quick changes to assumptions about "safety".

zvbza1.jpg

I'd like another couple of wins to be absolutely sure in all honesty.

Its certainly going to be an interesting and exciting run in. Clearly no-one wants the play off spot, and rightly so.

Fair play to Motherwell for turning it around, I didn't see that coming to the extent that it has.

I thought our run was going to come to an end tonight (and couldn't have overly complained if it had), but then that late goal gave us a deserved victory.

On current form you'd have to say that Partick are going to be involved in the battle, I think ourselves and Motherwell both have more about us at the moment.

2013-14 - 11th - Hibernian - 35pts
2012-13 - 11th - St. Mirren - 41 pts
2011-12 - 11th - Hibernian - 33 pts
2010-11 - 11th - St. Mirren - 33 pts
2009-10 - 11th - Kilmarnock - 33 pts
2008-09 - 11th - St. Mirren - 37 pts
2007-08 - 11th - Kilmarnock - 40 pts
2006-07 - 11th - St. Mirren - 36 pts
2005-06 - 11th - Dunfermline - 33 pts
2004-05 - 11th - Dunfermline - 34 pts
2003-04 - 11th - Aberdeen - 34 pts
2002-03 - 11th - Dundee Utd - 32 pts
2001-02 - 11th - Motherwell - 40 pts
2000-01 - 11th - Dundee Utd - 35 pts

In an average season 36 points would keep you safe. Not this time, you'd have to think. However finishes 11th could well have a record points total for a second bottom team.

2013-14 - 11th - Hibernian - 35pts

2012-13 - 11th - St. Mirren - 41 pts

2011-12 - 11th - Hibernian - 33 pts

2010-11 - 11th - St. Mirren - 33 pts

2009-10 - 11th - Kilmarnock - 33 pts

2008-09 - 11th - St. Mirren - 37 pts

2007-08 - 11th - Kilmarnock - 40 pts

2006-07 - 11th - St. Mirren - 36 pts

2005-06 - 11th - Dunfermline - 33 pts

2004-05 - 11th - Dunfermline - 34 pts

2003-04 - 11th - Aberdeen - 34 pts

2002-03 - 11th - Dundee Utd - 32 pts

2001-02 - 11th - Motherwell - 40 pts

2000-01 - 11th - Dundee Utd - 35 pts

In an average season 36 points would keep you safe. Not this time, you'd have to think. However finishes 11th could well have a record points total for a second bottom team.

Its not that long since we were talking about record low points totals for the bottom teams!

The turnaround in form of Motherwell and County has been incredible.

Surely nobody will do a Hibs?

If Thistle go down it won't be because we've done a Hibs. We've just beaten Inverness CT, St. Johnstone and grabbed a draw against Aberdeen away. We should be feeling safe, FFS. We've just had absolutely no favours from the other teams, and Ross County and Motherwell look unstoppable.

I've always felt we're still in this, and if we don't beat Motherwell on Saturday we're well and truly in it!

Hopefully Kilmarnock join us in a 4-way.

If Thistle go down it won't be because we've done a Hibs. We've just beaten Inverness CT, St. Johnstone and grabbed a draw against Aberdeen away. We should be feeling safe, FFS. We've just had absolutely no favours from the other teams and Ross County and M

Why on earth should you need favours? I'm going to take them from whoever is giving them (Celtic tonight, for example!) but if we don't get any it's entirely Ross County's fault for being so dreadful at the start of the season. Likewise, if Partick end up in the playoffs, it's because they deserve to be there.

You're not really getting what I'm saying. I'm not saying we need favours.

I was arguing that it can't be classed as "doing a Hibs", as that requires your bottle crashing and going on a horrendous run of form. We've been in good form lately but we're still not safe despite having more points than we did at this stage last season.

I'm pointing out that this season it looks like it'll take an unusually large amount of points to avoid finishing 11th, and so whoever finishes in the play-offs could genuinely feel unlucky to do so. That's not down to "doing a Hibs", it's just down to the extraordinary runs that County and Motherwell have been on.

Of course if we finish 11th we deserve to be there.

Unfortunately for us I still believe that it will be Motherwell in the playoffs because as excellent our recent form has been it has just come too little, too late as Ross County's form is even better and I don't see where they are going to drop any points. We on the other hand are going to have to win every single remaining match which is a tall order and unrealistic to be honest.

Archived