Who's Going Down?

594 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it just me... It's probably just me... Is anybody else developing, just below the surface somewhere, a slightly unhealthy desire TO finish 11th (rather than definitely safe) just so your club can have the chance to become the legends that keep The Rangers out of the top flight for another season? For all that Motherwell (and Rangers) fans keep pointing out Motherwell's horrendous record against the (old) Rangers, on current County and Motherwell form I'd give either a very good chance of winning a playoff against them, regardless of The Rangers' own more recent upturn in form.

ETA "have the chance to", and also to say I don't ACTUALLY prefer the idea of finishing 11th instead of higher, it just could end up being really cool for whoever does.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all that Motherwell (and Rangers) fans keep pointing out Motherwell's horrendous record against the (old) Rangers, on current County and Motherwell form I'd give either a very good chance of winning a playoff against them, regardless of The Rangers' own more recent upturn in form.

I can’t speak for County, however, you are deluded if you think Motherwell (even on our current form) will beat Sevco over two legs. If we don’t finish in 10th position we will be relegated, FACT. With that in mind, I will happily leave you to dispose of Sevco to ensure they spend another year in the Championship.

I'd be more delighted if the Tribute Act didn't even make the playoff final.

You and me both, however, assuming Sevco will play Hibs in the championship decider, and when it matters Hibs are worse bottlers than us. I would fancy our chances against any other team bar Sevco. I really don't know what the problem is with playing against this Rangers tribute act, however, we have one and there is nothing that we the fans can do about it. Only the players can change our awful record against Oldco/Sevco/Newco or what ever they choose to call themselves these days.

Only 3 of the team have played Sevco, maybe count for something?

That’s a possibility, however, I reckon our fear of the team in blue has a more deep rooted psychological reason. We still perceive them as still being a top side, consequently, if we meet Sevco in a play off the previous defeats from Oldco and Sevco will infiltrate the mind of our current squad and they will bottle it. Our one chance, is that we now have Skippy and Pearson who I believe can rise above the historical fear of the team who play in blue at Ibrox. Will that be enough? Only time will tell.

Only 3 of the team have played Sevco, maybe count for something?

More importantly, we don't have a manager that's a snivelling apologist towards them as McCall was - we were beaten before we walked onto the pitch against them as a result of his approach.

More importantly, we don't have a manager that's a snivelling apologist towards them as McCall was - we were beaten before we walked onto the pitch against them as a result of his approach.

^^^^^^^ this. Would still be more than happy to step aside and give Ross County the opportunity to beat them though.

Think we would see off Hibs, Queens or Falkirk without too much trouble but the thought of playing Rangers gives me the fear.

It would be fantastic to keep them down but the embarrassment of getting beat would be too much to take.

Looking at the next couple of fixtures I expect Thistle to lose at Celtic and Ross County (due to form) to pick up 6 points from St Mirren and and St Johnston. Similarly I would expect Motherwell to beat St Mirren (on current form). The most important match for me would then be Motherwell vs Partick next weekend. If Partick can win that with 5 only 5 games left and a 7 point cushion then Motherwell are odds on for the play off. But if Motherwell can beat Partick then its anyone's game as you have 3 teams within 3 points of each other.

If all three teams are within a couple of points of each other then id say partick are most likely to drop into the play off as the other two will be carrying a bit more form and confidence.

The way I'm looking at it we can't afford to let Ross County go more than 4 points clear of us before we play them post split (assuming it's not the last game of the season!) that way if we beat them in the head to head, it goes to the last match and anything can happen. If we do go more than 4 points behind, we are fucked.

So unless Ross County drop points (more likely against St. Johnstone than St. Mirren) we need to win both upcoming matches against St. Mirren and Partick.

A St. Mirren defeat to us basically relegates them I think, a Partick win would make them more or less safe and could condemn us to a play off place depending on Ross Counties two upcoming matches.

It could be everything is more or less decided going into the split or that the whole thing gets blown right open.

the thought of playing Rangers gives me the fear.

I hate everything about that mob and the fact that countless past Motherwell teams have bottled it at the mere mention of their name. We had an opportunity to lay it to rest under McCall in that now infamous cup match and you guessed it we sh*t it. They are nothing special as countless teams have since shown in the lower leagues, so I don’t know why can't we just man up for once and show them whose boss. :unsure:

I am actually now 100% in favour of Motherwell finishing 11th and pumping Rangers in the playoff final, primarily for the pleasure it would give Motherwell fans, and secondly for the pleasure it would give everyone else in Scottish football apart from Ra Celtic and Re Rangers.

I am actually now 100% in favour of Motherwell finishing 11th and pumping Rangers in the playoff final, primarily for the pleasure it would give Motherwell fans

Thanks, however, I will forgo that pleasure a let you deal with Sevco in the playoff. :rolleyes:

Just curious are you confident that Ross County would beat Sevco in a two leg play off?

Archived