Who's Going Down?

594 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sadly Motherwell will be relegated and anyone who believes any differently is deluded. Without doubt this is the worst Motherwell team that I have watched in over 50 years of going regularly to games home and away.

Worst team I've seen at Dens in a decade - defending was comical.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think general consensus is that Ross county are f**ked. id stick Motherwell down there with them, not seen anything from them that would suggest a turn around whereas st Mirren look at least to have a bit of fight about them.Ross county down M'well relegated through the play offs. Hearts and Hibs back up next season.

We are staying up. Better performance from us today and were battling until break away goal at the end.

Celtic and United away - out of the way, still in 10th and a home game v Killie over St Mirren.

Pearson looking like a shrewd signing with one or two others. We have 5 or 6 key players out injured. A few of them come back and we will be OK.

3 home games out of 4 coming up.

Feel better after today strangely...

Amazed nobody tipping Jags to fold and go down! I don't think they will although I am still nervous, but thought a few more would have that opinion.

I think it's County and St. Mirren with both going down and Hearts and little ole' Rangers coming up...I don't think the SFA and SPFL would have it any other way .

Amazed nobody tipping Jags to fold and go down! I don't think they will although I am still nervous, but thought a few more would have that opinion.

I think it's County and St. Mirren with both going down and Hearts and little ole' Rangers coming up...I don't think the SFA and SPFL would have it any other way .

Yeh, agree re. The jags.. although as supporters we will always be nervous until mathematically impossible. However our goal difference is s clear indicator of how competitive we are... +5 and 4th bottom! Look at 3 below us.. all -20 plus.. I think we are decent.. just lack a bit of believe sometimes.

watched the game this morning. I am afraid County will be relegated. They've had a good run in the top league but dont have the quality to overhaul two teams and finish third bottom.

Finishing second wont be enough as I assume Hibs will win all six matches in the playoffs

Hibs to bottle the playoff and Motherwell to stay up.

Unlikely as we are rubbish players like law and Kerr worst signing made we also need a fast striker and Nielsen a shot in goals we are conceding far to many and if we get relegated playoff or straight done we will be the second team to play at fir park and vanish just as gretna did

Our bags are packed. Motherwell, you have been evicted, please leave the Scottish premiership house. :unsure::thumbsdown

I simply don't think it's as cut and dried as that yet. Looking at the fixtures to the split, our games are fairly evenly balanced - I don't think one of us has a significantly worse set of games than the other.

Obviously the form table (below) doesn't look good for you guys, but I'd suggest we are eminently capable of suffering a downturn in form and dropping points in games we ought to be winning or drawing.

At least it's interesting. The threat of play-off and increased likelihood of relegation might be horrendous in the long term, but in the short term it's done a huge amount for the bottom half of the league.

P5JwWVZ.jpg

I had assumed that Ross County were going to have the easier run in, having played ICT and Celtic twice each in January. I'd say Motherwell's run-in to the split is ever so slightly easier but there's not much in it.

Of the top six form teams in the ten-match table:

County still have to play Aberdeen (A), Dundee (H), Dundee United (A) and St Johnstone (H).

Motherwell still have to play Dundee (H), Inverness (H) and Aberdeen (A).

St Mirren still have to play Inverness (H), Aberdeen (A), St Johnstone (A) and Celtic (H).

County's next home game is against Motherwell, which really is a must-win for them.

I don't think you can discount us from 11th place any more.

From that top 6 we still need to play Celtic (H & A), Dundee (A), Dundee United (A), Inverness CT (H), Aberdeen (A)

We won't get many points from that lot if any.

From that top 6 we still need to play Celtic (H & A), Dundee (A), Dundee United (A), Inverness CT (H), Aberdeen (A)

Ouch, that is a tricky run. But not so much harder than the teams' below you that you can see us catching you before the split. It's likely still to be post-split that you could get dragged into it, I reckon.

I ended up sticking 20 on us to finish bottom in despair after the dundee game, but since the utd game there's been a glimmer of hope. If we can get some injured players back, then you never know, could scrape some wins maybe. Even got a point at the weekend!

Motherwell have been truly dreadful, the best we will do is finish 10th, but there is maybe some light at the end of the tunnel. Apparently a decent performance up at Tannadice last week (wasn't there) and then coming back from 0-1 down, with ten men and about 9 first team players missing on Saturday.

We need more new faces in today and we need to get players back from injury which has absolutely decimated us this season. We aren't going to transform over night into a great side but I think we might be able to claw out enough points to stay up.

Next match is massive, away to Ross County and then we have three winnable home ties in a row.

Fingers crossed.

Greg Stewart is suspended for your visit to Dens. That makes a huge difference. He's been consistently excellent, far and away our best player this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Some fag-packet figures mixed with speculation:

In the last ten years, 33 points is the lowest total to get 10th place.

Dunfermline had 18 points that season after 27 games in 2005-06, the same figures as St Mirren have just now (who have played one more than Motherwell and Ross County). Three teams finished with 33 points that season including Dunfermline for "joint" 11th. Livingston finished last on 18 points.

St Mirren finished 10th in 2009-10 with 34 points. They averaged 0.9 points per game both in the first 26 games and then in their last 12 games.

---

From here on in:

St Mirren need 1.5 points per game from their last 11 matches to reach 34 points

Motherwell & Ross County need 1.3 per game, including their game in hand over St Mirren

Partick Thistle need just 0.75 per game.

On recent trends:

Motherwell are recording 0.7 points per game since Barraclough was appointed (including the draw they got against County on weekend he was announced but wouldn't have picked the team).

Since the transfer window opened, Motherwell are recording just 0.1 points per game.

St Mirren are recording a steady 0.9 points per game since Tommy Craig was given the boot and Teale was made interim manager.

St Mirren have also scored 0.9 points per game since the start of January, but that doesn't reduce the sample that much. So they're on similar form to the 09-10 season, but Craig's disastrous start means they would end with a lower total than previously.

Ross County are currently on 0.9 ppg since McIntyre was appointed; and 1ppg since the turn of the year.

Partick Thistle are currently on 0.6 ppg since the start of January.

---

So based on the trend since the new year, the table would finish as:

Thistle 32-33 points

County 28-30 points

St Mirren 28 points

Motherwell 19-20 points.

---

I don't expect Motherwell to finish that low, they will return to the mean, whatever that is, I guess mid-late 20s. But that's being generous I suppose.

St Mirren are probably surfing their mean with Kenny McLean gone.

County could finish anywhere between 25-35 points. The recent upturn means the timing of this analysis flatters them but it also shows the impact of some of their January signings (notably Raffa De Vita). The squad is good enough but will the manager make the right choices?

Thistle probably have too many points on the board, but only if they can find two more wins. I think with Stevenson and Taylor they'll do that by the skin of their teeth.

I think 30 points would get 10th place based on the above, because I just can't see the bottom three all getting 1.3+ ppg from here.

Archived