Money worries at Stenny

You want to see a club that sets money aside to replace the pitch ?? Got a spare few minutes for a drive to Forfar?

Fair play if that is correct . No reason to doubt you as farfar have recently upgraded all their money making facilities and seem to be doing well. Time will tell at pitch replacement time though !!!!

As a matter of interest , who will actually foot the bill for the replacement pitch ? Forfar Athletic, Farmington, Angus Council or a combination of the three ?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People don't like them and don't want them to be successful. But they are. Obviously the more and more that pop up will see demand fall and subsequently income will fall.

Are players not people ? Stenny are one of the first ones to replace theirs. Is it any coincidence that they are suffering financial problems now ? Also Montrose are shitting themselves at the prospect of replacing theirs.

Ah that old made up cliche.

I know for a fact that a high percentage of Brechin City players hate playing on artificial surfaces. No cliche at all !!

Ah that old made up cliche.

I'm not sure it is a made up cliche tbh.

Ian Murray said at one of our meet the manager sessions that he was against us installing a plastic pitch. His reasoning was that the majority of his players didn't like playing on them, himself included, and from a footballing perspective he'd much rather we had a grass surface.

Go to any youth teams and ask them. A high % of them love them. There's a few older players who weren't brought up with them that don't like them but they will soon be gone.

The average age of the Brechin squad is around 24. I think they will be around for a number of years yet..........If their joints hold out on these plastic pitches of course.

Stenny made some announcement around the time Rangers went bust that they would scrap all their youth teams if The Rangers(2012) weren't voted into the Championship/Premiership they would not be able to fund any of their youth teams.

They never scrapped all their youth teams so maybe the cost was too much after all?

Everyone would rather play on grass if it was a great standard but that's rarely the case is it. When I grew up I would have given anything to play and train on a fantastic 3G surface rather than a hilly, dog shit covered, long grass, dodgy goal posts, run for miles after the ball is kick out shitheap that councils charge £40 to play on.

Everyone would rather play on grass if it was a great standard but that's rarely the case is it. When I grew up I would have given anything to play and train on a fantastic 3G surface rather than a hilly, dog shit covered, long grass, dodgy goal posts, run for miles after the ball is kick out shitheap that councils charge £40 to play on.

By any chance do you own or work for a company that install artificial surfaces?

Clubs will also be saving themselves a fortune as they wont need to rent pitches out - that includes their entire youth teams as well

Yes, but at the same time whenever the first team or youth teams are training they are losing money from not renting the pitch to someone else, so they are effectively renting the pitch for whatever the going rate is. There's no saving there at all.

Didn't expect Stenny to be in financial trouble but I'm not that surprised. A few times in recent seasons I've been surprised that they've been able to sign players over teams like Airdrie and Ayr.

Going by the statement it seems like they were gambling on getting a good cup run/draw to fund this season, which is lunacy.

Some clubs have said they were set up for a couple of seasons due to the big crowds from the Rangers games. Add to that our away crowds at Ochilview and surely Stenny should be nowhere near the scenario where they have to cut costs? Or have these other clubs been fibbing?

Not sure how much truth there is in this but I read that East Fife actually lost money when they hosted Rangers last season - the cost to erect scaffolding and put the temporary stand in place cost them more money that they brought in from gate receipts.

As for Stenhousemuir, something about the whole situation stinks. I just doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

I've read back the statement and, as others have pointed out, there's a few things that stick out, particularly the passage about the additional revenue:

• Transfer fees - how often do clubs at this level make money from selling on players? Off the top of my head, I can only think of three players we moved on for profit in recent years: David Templeton, Colin Hamilton and Jack Hamilton (all to Heart of Midlothian). Beyond that, I'm struggling. Therefore, why was this budgeted for the upcoming season?
  • Cup runs - similar to the above, cup runs are a bonus, not an expectation. We played in four cup matches this season: Brora Rangers in the Challenge Cup (a 1-3 away loss); Airdrieonians in the League Cup (a 3-1 away victory); Hearts in the League Cup (a 1-2 home defeat); and Brechin City in the Scottish Cup (a 1-2 home defeat). Why was a cup run ever taken into consideration? As Neilly pointed out on the SFC forum, did Scott Booth promise them a cup run? If that's indeed the case, then he's failed on one of his objectives for the season.
  • Attendances - there was absolutely no chance that Rangers were going to remain in the division for another season (and a possibility that Dunfermline Athletic would join them in the Championship), so crowds of around 4-500 should have been expected this year. The Pars bring a good support with them, so do Stirling Albion and Greenock Morton to a lesser extent, but unless we drew a big team in the cup, we were never likely to sell out Ochilview.

I can accept the cost of relaying the pitch and Scott Booth's outrageous salary, but nothing else makes sense. Someone down the line has made a huge boob.

In terms of attendances your averages since promotion in 2009-10 have been 533, 560, 625, 543, 826 (presence of Rangers) and you were on a healthy 612 at halfway a couple of weeks ago. So it doesn't seem like that can be the explanation.

In term of cup runs, the only time you've won more than 1 tie in either the Scottish or League Cups since 2009 was the League Cup 2012-13 and last season's Scottish Cup... On both occasions you won 2 ties, although last season beat Annan and Fraserburgh before losing to Albion, no big gates would be involved. I presume some decent money would be made from last season's Challenge Cup run tbf, including TV fees for SF? But it would have been odd to bank on a run in either major cup, or the sharp end of the Challenge Cup, and you did beat Airdrie them face Hearts in front of 1,800.

Archived