Hypothetical - Ayrshire/Central leagues

glensmad

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the OP Talbot where number one back in the Ayrshire district league days and are still number one in the current set up, the more things change the more they stay the same.

That's odd - I thought he wanted to compare current position with where clubs were back then.

Currently Talbot are second in the league - back then you were mid table (4th out of 7 clubs). Ended the season with almost half the points the league winners had.

Glenafton 46 points (G/d +36). Talbot 24 points (G/D -3).

Sorry, pal. I shouldn't have had a dig. It was just funny the way you kept jumping in trying to drag people back to it.

More power to your elbow!

Well that was the thinking behind the thread, but I recognise it has gone off on a probably more interesting tangent. :rolleyes:

To answer the OP Talbot where number one back in the Ayrshire district league days and are still number one in the current set up, the more things change the more they stay the same.

On other points I am with the Kilbirnie lads I would love to see the return of the Ayrshire leagues but better run than they where, the current set up has been detrimental to a lot of Ayrshire teams like Craigmark, Muirkirk, Irvine Vics, Ardeer etc. nothing against our central league Brethren btw but the current set-up has went kinda stale for me. As for an east/west merger forget it it will drive loads of fans away from the game the thought of travelling away to Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Newtongrange etc every other Saturday gives me the boak.

Another post on this thread which lacks facts.

Pre super league talbot hadn't won the Scottish for 10 years, the west for about 15 and by the time they finally won the super League that was their first league title for nearly 10 years between the old first and the new super league.

Maybe there is so much desperation to return to the old ways as some people enjoyed watching 10-0 league victories due to the difference is teams in the same league. Now we have much more competitive leagues

Pre super league talbot hadn't won the Scottish for 10 years, the west for about 15 and by the time they finally won the super League that was their first league title for nearly 10 years between the old first and the new super league.

Maybe there is so much desperation to return to the old ways as some people enjoyed watching 10-0 league victories due to the difference is teams in the same league. Now we have much more competitive leagues

the games that most of us see as the "big" games are trips to beith,auchinleck,glenafton,medda and Largs.petershill,aurtherlie,shotts,Neilson ect just don't have the same draw for me.saying that the premier is pretty much an ayrshire league anyway so who knows!!!!

Not only that, there is also a romanticism amongst some Talbot fans we are and always have been unbeatable.

The simple fact is that Pollok ran that league for the first few years.......not anymore though!!!!

That is a bit disrespectful to the old Ayrshire league. I genuinely don't remember us hitting 10 in a league game, it was much more competitive than that.

In the Superleague I do remember Talbot 10 Renfrew 1, Talbot 9 Ashfield 0 and in the WOS Talbot 14 Vale Of Clyde 0.

The connection, all Central league sides so the competiveness may be slightly better but hammerings do still occur

That's odd - I thought he wanted to compare current position with where clubs were back then.

Currently Talbot are second in the league - back then you were mid table (4th out of 7 clubs). Ended the season with almost half the points the league winners had.

Glenafton 46 points (G/d +36). Talbot 24 points (G/D -3).

The leagues not over yet, Talbot have won the league the past two season and Talbot won the Ayrshire district league way more than any other team. You know fine well he meant in general.

Did your good selves not put 10 past Kilsyth in a premier game as well?

If your gonna come on wae stats at least try & check everything 1st bud lol

LADESIDE

the games that most of us see as the "big" games are trips to beith,auchinleck,glenafton,medda and Largs.petershill,aurtherlie,shotts,Neilson ect just don't have the same draw for me.saying that the premier is pretty much an ayrshire league anyway so who knows!!!!

Again check stats.This goes in cycles its ayrshire turn the now but you will actually find the majority of seasons since the west premier has been on the go there has been more central teams than ayrshire in the league. Check it if you can be bothered.

Kinda pointless going on about the good old district days, they will never return, you would think after 12 or 13 years you would all have accepted it.

Quality not quantity. :)

I know thats tongue in cheek but its basically true.

I read that as Ayrshire having a hardcore of strong teams and Central teams being more fluid in their strength. Teams can get to the top for a short time but can't maintain it and fall back and somebody else takes over.

Again check stats.This goes in cycles its ayrshire turn the now but you will actually find the majority of seasons since the west premier has been on the go there has been more central teams than ayrshire in the league. Check it if you can be bothered.

Kinda pointless going on about the good old district days, they will never return, you would think after 12 or 13 years you would all have accepted it.

check what,8 ayrshire teams and 4 central in the premier.the last ayrshire league had 7 teams so it's actually got more ayrshire teams than the ayrshire league had!

Not only that, there is also a romanticism amongst some Talbot fans we are and always have been unbeatable.

The simple fact is that Pollok ran that league for the first few years.......not anymore though!!!!

Still won the most super leagues....likely be equalled this season unless Hurlford do it which is very possible...but you're right we certainly don't run it anymore. Hopefully on our way back up though

LADESIDE

It was just the 9

LADESIDE

Naw, it was only nine; for what its worth, the manager had walked away that week and the team were at a very low ebb.

You're maybe thinking of the time Kilsyth took ten of Kilbirnie (W of Scot cup Rd 4 18/4/64)

Naw, it was only nine; for what its worth, the manager had walked away that week and the team were at a very low ebb.

You're maybe thinking of the time Kilsyth took ten of Kilbirnie (W of Scot cup Rd 4 18/4/64)

Apologies for the1 goal lol

That would have been the season we nearly went out of the game

Then a young Sconie Davidson was asked to bring a good juvenile team to keep the club going & it turned out ok lol

LADESIDE

Archived