Hypothetical - Ayrshire/Central leagues

glensmad

When we played teams like Ashfield Lanark & Perthshire to name a few they only brought along committee . Annbank & Darvel would always bring along 10 or 15 bodies on top of committee.

LADESIDE

While I can see your point about the Ayrshire leagues, and while a couple of the Ayrshire teams bring big supports through to Dunterlie, I seen possibly the smallest away support from an Ayrshire side last year.

I would never criticise a support though, as these are the people making the effort, and with supports dwindling (ours included), the big loss to our treasurer last season was a central side being relegated.

I won't mention the central side who have the biggest committee in Scotland when they play away!

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give me one benefit of Talbot playing Sauchie or Mussleburgh in a league game.

It is arguable if it is a higher standard or not. They will bring no fans, it is not a fixture that will bring out the floating or casual Talbot fan. In fact some fans might not bother as there is very little history between the clubs and there will be no former players or manager to add a bit of spice.

All this does is increase travelling costs with no increase in crowds

Musselburgh. Population 21 000. Maybe, just maybe, the word that Talbot are coming to town might get a lot of people that otherwise might never have bothered giving Junior football a chance?

Musselburgh. Population 21 000. Maybe, just maybe, the word that Talbot are coming to town might get a lot of people that otherwise might never have bothered giving Junior football a chance?

No it won't. Anybody who was that bothered will have seen us when we played in the Junior Cup Final. We also played them in it the following year at Mussleburgh and the home crowd was nothing more than decent.

My point is any travelling fans they do have are not interested in travelling to Ayrshire for a run of the mill league game (this also applies the other way round btw)

Whats so hard to grasp that the further you have to travel the more your away following diminished

The West Super league was started as the bigger central teams wanted to tap into the Ayrshire juniors which was flourishing at the time whilst the central league were struggling

I believe the West league has now run its course and we should go back to the Ayrshire/Central leagues again & revamp the West of Scotland cup as that is just a sideshow now . If we go to this East/West nonsense even more fans will be lost to the juniors forever

LADESIDE

By flourishing I can only assume you mean financially. As in the 10 years preceding the WoS SL central teams had dominated the WoS cup and only Kilwinning and Largs had success in the Scottish cup - Pollok, 'lie and Renfrew had all won it within the last 5 years pre the merge.

I am shocked at saying this...but I agree with RRG that Glasgow based players then became more likely to play for Ayrshire teams after the merge and Ayrshire got stronger. The top 2 sides in the first season of the league were Pollok and Neilston.

There is no doubt the merge has made a lot of central teams weaker you only have to see who was in the first league and where Bens, Maryhill, Larkhall, Johnston B, are now. In fact all 6 central teams are no longer in the premier. While only Kilwinning are no longer in either of the super leagues and in fact 5 of the first ever teams are there just now.

The merge has been good for the bigger Ayrshire teams. However despite my own teams fall recently I would never go back - trips to Meadow, Beith, Kilbirnie are easier than Lesmahagow, Lanark, Larkhall etc so it's not that travel is any worse and due to the merge new rivalries are made rather than just local derbies.

While I can see your point about the Ayrshire leagues, and while a couple of the Ayrshire teams bring big supports through to Dunterlie, I seen possibly the smallest away support from an Ayrshire side last year.

I would never criticise a support though, as these are the people making the effort, and with supports dwindling (ours included), the big loss to our treasurer last season was a central side being relegated.

I won't mention the central side who have the biggest committee in Scotland when they play away!

A won't mention them either lol

But to be fair they bring a fair few fans down as well plus they spend a few bob in our hospitality suite ha ha

LADESIDE

That's reinforcing the point being made.

By flourishing I can only assume you mean financially. As in the 10 years preceding the WoS SL central teams had dominated the WoS cup and only Kilwinning and Largs had success in the Scottish cup - Pollok, 'lie and Renfrew had all won it within the last 5 years pre the merge.

I am shocked at saying this...but I agree with RRG that Glasgow based players then became more likely to play for Ayrshire teams after the merge and Ayrshire got stronger. The top 2 sides in the first season of the league were Pollok and Neilston.

There is no doubt the merge has made a lot of central teams weaker you only have to see who was in the first league and where Bens, Maryhill, Larkhall, Johnston B, are now. In fact all 6 central teams are no longer in the premier. While only Kilwinning are no longer in either of the super leagues and in fact 5 of the first ever teams are there just now.

The merge has been good for the bigger Ayrshire teams. However despite my own teams fall recently I would never go back - trips to Meadow, Beith, Kilbirnie are easier than Lesmahagow, Lanark, Larkhall etc so it's not that travel is any worse and due to the merge new rivalries are made rather than just local derbies.

OK then the Glasgow and Renfrewshire teams join in with Ayrshire and Lanarkshire goes East....similar to the old Western League.

Whats so hard to grasp that the further you have to travel the more your away following diminished

Hmmm, maybe because the distances you are objecting to are so completely laughable in the grand scheme of Scottish football? Lowland League and Highland League manage far longer regularly just fine.

If these people really were fans - rather than glory hunters wanting a "wee team" to salve their egos as their "big team" does another Hindenburg - the extra distance would mean nothing. Just a thought.

There is time when fledgings must leave the nest, and the likes of Beith, Medda, The Rose, Talbot, etc have long outgrown their nests and need a better challenge more likely to entice serious sponsorship (and fan interest) than the shiny pennies the current Junior set up has to offer.

But yet here the talk amongst some is of making smaller geographical sized leagues, not larger: putting the big fish back into those lovely wee ponds where their fans can big it up running up cricket scores against umpteen Three Legged Donkey FCs from derelict townships or dormitory villages that don't care about the Juniors. In what dimension exactly would that count as progress?

And then they'll wonder why the best players - starved of regular games against the best sides the grade has to offer - will pick a poorer LL side in preference as still offering a sterner test overall and a better prospect for advancement than a grade regressing (not least of all getting into the Scottish Cup).

Hmmm, maybe because the distances you are objecting to are so completely laughable in the grand scheme of Scottish football? Lowland League and Highland League manage far longer regularly just fine.

If these people really were fans - rather than glory hunters wanting a "wee team" to salve their egos as their "big team" does another Hindenburg - the extra distance would mean nothing. Just a thought.

Most Lowland League and Highland League travelling supports barely reach double figures. Is that what you want.

Sneer all you like about them not being "true fans" but you are chasing people away from the game. Just a thought

A lot ?? can you name some ? I have only heard a couple of smaller fife clubs want that

Of course you seldom run into lower league clubs. Look back and you will find plenty who would favour change, where they could cash in on gates when Rose visit.

There is time when fledgings must leave the nest, and the likes of Beith, Medda, The Rose, Talbot, etc have long outgrown their nests and need a better challenge more likely to entice serious sponsorship (and fan interest) than the shiny pennies the current Junior set up has to offer.

But yet here the talk amongst some is of making smaller geographical sized leagues, not larger: putting the big fish back into those lovely wee ponds where their fans can big it up running up cricket scores against umpteen Three Legged Donkey FCs from derelict townships or dormitory villages that don't care about the Juniors. In what dimension exactly would that count as progress?

And then they'll wonder why the best players - starved of regular games against the best sides the grade has to offer - will pick a poorer LL side in preference as still offering a sterner test overall and a better prospect for advancement than a grade regressing (not least of all getting into the Scottish Cup).

Agree with lots of your points but the further travelling involved with LL clubs is more than balanced out with them having floodlights which allow for more travelling time as midweek kick offs will be at 1945.

Sadly very few junior clubs as things stand can claim to have floodlights which means that these 1830 kick offs will continue to happen and that's why for example a glenafton v Musselburgh tie would create problems travel wise for a 1830 kick off.

If clubs don't want to be involved then they don't have to be was my understanding of what's being asked tonight.

If Ayrshire clubs don't see any merit in the idea then they can stay put and play each other.

If they then so desired to go back to the old Ayrshire District Leagues I'm sure they would get enough votes to do so.

Going back to the original question, Glencairn's status on the list (9th in the top tier of the Central Region) is pretty consistent with what we were as a Central club from what I remember. We were a bit of a yo-yo team between the Central Division One and Two before the Super Leagues were formed, so to have survived as a Super League club for six seasons now is a decent achievement in my opinion.

Going back to the original question, Glencairn's status on the list (9th in the top tier of the Central Region) is pretty consistent with what we were as a Central club from what I remember. We were a bit of a yo-yo team between the Central Division One and Two before the Super Leagues were formed, so to have survived as a Super League club for six seasons now is a decent achievement in my opinion.

fella, no harm to you, but the fact that in this Whole thread there have been a handful of responses (of which thre are yours!) to your airy fairy fantasy question means that no-one's that bothered. Thanks for hinting at a far more interesting issue though!

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that the Ayrshire clubs suffered when the merge happened due to lack of support from travelling Central clunbs and I stick by my point. However, for the grade to make any kind of advancement then in no way should it go back to regional leagues. That would be suicide for the image of the game.

The challenge needs to be there for all clubs on the park and being part of a wider geographical more competitive league gives that.

fella, no harm to you, but the fact that in this Whole thread there have been a handful of responses (of which thre are yours!) to your airy fairy fantasy question means that no-one's that bothered. Thanks for hinting at a far more interesting issue though!

It was interesting enough for you to reply, though. :thumsup2

To answer the OP Talbot where number one back in the Ayrshire district league days and are still number one in the current set up, the more things change the more they stay the same.

On other points I am with the Kilbirnie lads I would love to see the return of the Ayrshire leagues but better run than they where, the current set up has been detrimental to a lot of Ayrshire teams like Craigmark, Muirkirk, Irvine Vics, Ardeer etc. nothing against our central league Brethren btw but the current set-up has went kinda stale for me. As for an east/west merger forget it it will drive loads of fans away from the game the thought of travelling away to Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Newtongrange etc every other Saturday gives me the boak.

Archived