Queen of the South v Hibernian

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair play to Hibs. they upped their game and took their chances.

Thought we were good in the first half and a bit unlucky not to score. Second half Hibs played better and were gifted the crucial opener.

They kept going after they scored and the second was a belter.

Thought Miller was OK but I can't wait to see Burnsy back in midfield. Usually McShane produces one cracking delivery in three but

today his set pieces were rank. Wee Danny did well and I have to say Kidd did better than at Falkirk.

Great result by Bairns means we really need to lay the Cowden bogey to rest next week.

Aye and you, Russell has been poor for the last few games. Yes as I've said on the match thread it would appear we are being run on a shoestring which isn't helping Fowler and it may well come back to bite us.

I disagree with you about Russell.

But we agree about a less than satisfactory January transaction.

Hewitson dictating or weak Fowler management?

So far this january we have lost 4 players and replaced them with 1 unfit player from Peterhead. Add to that Dykes who was knocking on the first team door.

If you are counting Dzierzawski going to Peterhead on loan as a loss then you need to count Slattery returning from Queen's Park as a gain surely? There's a three day overlap when we had neither but Slattery will be back on Monday. Kiltie was an extra to cover lack of players at the time and has effectively been replaced by Paton's return to the squad. Millar has replaced Kerr.

We're a striker down having lost Baird but have gained squad wise in the return of Burns, Mitchell and, imminently, McKenna. You could probably argue we've also effectively lost Fowler as it would probably take an emergency to see him pull on the boots again given he didn't do so today and preferred to give a 16 year old from the 20's squad a spot ont he bench. The playing squad is bigger than it's been all season though. It's a legitimate point that we're down a striker though unless we move Russell back to playing up top.

As for the game, thought overall we did ok and it's a reflection on how decent we've been this year that people are talking about a crisis in the wake of a loss to a decent Hibs side. Thought we were the better side first half and had Russell scored instead of hitting the bar early on or Holt scored with the header from a free kick that flashed wide it might have been very different. Second half Hibs got on top but even then to an extent it was a tale of two penalties. One silly one given away by us and one very good shout not given at the other end. It was every bit as much a handball as the one that got Mark Durnan suspended for this week! Second HIbs goal was a great strike but we should have closed him down better. We never looked like getting back in it after that.

Some positives though in Burns and Paton looking good when they came on and good to see Mitchell on the bench also. Falkirk winning at Tynecastle is a disappointment as those are points I'd banked on them not getting but we're still in decent enough shape. We can't afford to be dropping points at Cowdenbeath next week though (if Central park is playable).

Why are you being such a dick? You appear to have done sorry of truthhurts style of vendetta against SD. Leave it out, yeah?

He comes across as one in a lot of his posts. I don't know if he's trying (and failing) to be a wind up merchant or if he's just a bit of an arse. With no Truthhurts on here for a while, you may have nabbed his alias!

O/T, I haven't seen Kirkyblue(sp?) on here for a while either. Was he banned?

Totally forgot about Flash, he was indeed a decent poster.

Yes, he and Kirky were both good.

As for the game, it went with form and we can have no real complaints about the result, given how the second half panned out.

I like Atkinson, but it was a needless penalty to concede. He didn't need to come tearing out and he didn't need to go to ground. That's what invited Cummings to make sure he went over him.

After that, there was no way back and the final margin might have been bigger.

I did think our penalty shout before it was a bloody good one though. I was surprised it wasn't given and as others have said, it might obviously have made a real difference, had it been.

There's no doubt that January's movement has weakened us. As SD points out, an equation can be produced to suggest that with injured players returning, there's not been much of a net loss. The fact that we've lost two players to our direct rival however, means that the loss is actually significant in my view.

Our first half was decent yesterday, but McShane's dead ball delivery was absolutely appalling. He's hit and miss with them at the best of times, but he must have produced about eight consecutive misses yesterday - there's really no excuse for it.

Losing to Hibs is no surprise or disgrace, but the Falkirk result turned yesterday into a rotten day for us. A glance at the table still says it's all to play for. I feel though that the tide has taken a distinct turn, and I'm not very confident at all that we're going to make the play-offs.

SD mentions playing Russell "up top"; if thats means as a central forward ( inside forward in pre- decimal), then I can count on the finger of one finger the times I've seen him play there in the time he has been with us.

Baird scoring at Tynie just highlights that we are light in that position with Lyle - whom I personally would not have subbed - being seen as good for 60 mins these days apparently.

Take the point though about long term injured returning but they ain't regular goalscorers. Still concerned too about losing one or two this month but with virtually no money in the Scottish game, it may be down to pre-contracts and summer moves in the end.

I had an uneasy feeling coming in to this game and my low expectations were duly rewarded.

That said, I thought we competed well for an hour and it was anybody's game, and I'm waiting to see that big shout for a handball for our possible penalty. With Durnan in the stand after his (alleged) hand ball in the penalty box last week, we could well feel aggrieved that we didn't get that one. If the TV replays show that my eyes deceived me, I can believe it but I'll be a bit miffed if it was blatant....

We seemed to lose the midfield after an hour, and maybe Millar was the problem at that stage. When he had the ball he rarely wasted it, but we were up against a good midfield and we needed all of them harrying and chasing.

I was in favour of Jim keeping his place so if it was inexperience then hopefully he learns from it.

Once Burns and Paton came on, we steadied the ship, albeit it was too late.

Hibs were miles better than the last time they were down, when you're on a good run and confidence is flowing, you get results.

I didn't find out Falkirk had won until I was half-way back to Edinburgh, that wasn't in the script. And hearing Houston waxing lyrical about Kerr and Baird was painful. But, that's over, we move on....

We're still in there, bring on Cowdenbeath.

I thought Millar has some lovely touches but he will not be an 'in your face' midfielder. If he is playing , then we would be better putting in someone beside him to do the ugly stuff. Very apparent that we were not physical AT ALL in the midfield and that's a concern. McKenna has done this job in the past but how often are we going to see him now and will he be able to get back to the level of before ? Crowd 3677

Can't believe that keepers continue week after week to come racing off their lines - conceding crazy penalties and facing the red card into the bargain. These are game changers why don't the coaching staff drum it into keepers - this is an absolute NO NO . In the same way as defenders going to ground in the box and risking the dreaded double whammy.

Jim didn't learn from his previous Martin Boyle incident - that is disappointing but to be fair to him you see it at the top level week in week out as well.

He is however progressing well but you sometimes wonder what players and management actually work on at training?

Not for the first time, early chances squandered have come back to haunt us. We were also denied a stone-wall penalty, as deliberate a hand ball as you will ever see. If refs are to get a pay rise it should be taken off what is paid to their ineffective "Assistants". Agreed with our MoM award going to to Dowie. Danny was a constant thorn in Hibs' side in the first half but dropped too deep after the break until the dying stages. Having said that, the whole team's approach after the break seemed to be more hesitant, or perhaps it was because Hibernian were restricting us more. Overall probably a fair result but made the more difficult to accept with Falkirk's win at Hearts.

Archived