Airdrieonians record transfer

Can anyone tell me the record transfer fee paid for an Airdrieonians player (old or new), having a pub argument and can't find it on line, remember paul harvey going for around £200,000 but not sure if that is the highest? Owen Coyle at some point maybe?

Owen Coyle went to Bolton Wanderers for £250,000 in 1993.

Sandy Clark went to West Ham for a reported £450,000 in 1982, but official figures quoted at £200,000

Ironically Owen Coyle is also our record buy for £175,000 in 1990... He made his debut the same day as John Watson (whom we had signedfrom Fulham) against Ayr Utd. Coyle scored a hat-trick in a 6-0 win

TD

PS Coyle's start to the following Season was prolific to say the leats and unmmatched in modern times.... in the first 7 games he scored 17 goals including 4 hat-tricks...

1 25Aug *MORTON 4 - 0 COYLE(2,1P),WATSON,HARVEY.
2 1 Sep Kilmarnock 4 - 3 COYLE(3),LAWRENCE.
3 8 Sep BRECHIN CITY 3 - 0 HARVEY(3).
4 15Sep Forfar 4 - 1 COYLE(3),LAWRENCE.
5 18Sep MEADOWBANK TH 2 - 0 COYLE(2).

6 22Sep AYR UTD 4 - 0 COYLE (3),HARVEY.
7 29Sep Clyde 4 - 1 COYLE(4,1P).

Legend

Owen Coyle went to Bolton Wanderers for £250,000 in 1993.

Sandy Clark went to West Ham for a reported £450,000 in 1982, but official figures quoted at £200,000

Ironically Owen Coyle is also our record buy for £175,000 in 1990... He made his debut the same day as John Watson (whom we had signedfrom Fulham) against Ayr Utd. Coyle scored a hat-trick in a 6-0 win

TD

PS Coyle's start to the following Season was prolific to say the leats and unmmatched in modern times.... in the first 7 games he scored 17 goals including 4 hat-tricks...

1 25Aug *MORTON 4 - 0 COYLE(2,1P),WATSON,HARVEY.

2 1 Sep Kilmarnock 4 - 3 COYLE(3),LAWRENCE.

3 8 Sep BRECHIN CITY 3 - 0 HARVEY(3).

4 15Sep Forfar 4 - 1 COYLE(3),LAWRENCE.

5 18Sep MEADOWBANK TH 2 - 0 COYLE(2).

6 22Sep AYR UTD 4 - 0 COYLE (3),HARVEY.

7 29Sep Clyde 4 - 1 COYLE(4,1P).

Legend

Sure Kenny Black was also £175,000 from Pompey.

I'm sure he missed a sitter against meadow bank which would have given him a hat trick on 3 consecutive games. We were brilliant to watch in those days.

If memory serves me right he had a few chances to score another that night... And that would have been 4 hattricks in successive games

TD

Ian McPhee came first though an I didn't think we paid that amount for him. I thought he was an excellent player but didn't want to go full time if I remember correctly so didn't stay for the premier league campaign in 91. Gordon MacLeod now I thought he was going to be a star but he didn't last long. Did he retire through injury?

Ian McPhee came first though an I didn't think we paid that amount for him. I thought he was an excellent player but didn't want to go full time if I remember correctly so didn't stay for the premier league campaign in 91. Gordon MacLeod now I thought he was going to be a star but he didn't last long. Did he retire through injury?

McPhee was def £100,000. And you are spot on with your reason why he left.

MacLeod played a grand total of 10 games for us due to injuries!! We sold him to Dundee about a year later. He played a while for them then went to Meadowbank(?). Think he played for a fair few years after he left us.

TD

Just checked. He played 9 games for us before he went to Dundee in 1990. He played senior footy until 1998 when he went to Junior footy aged 31

Archived