County v Maureens 17/1/15 - how many points are at stake really?

I would normally say that a flat midfield four would be a terrible idea, it would give Kenny McLean too much space to drive at the defence and spray passes about.

But Arquin will be playing, so doing that with an ultra-high defensive line could work. Firstly, it chokes the space in midfield that McLean would otherwise get. Secondly, it would catch Arquin offside half a dozen times and while there could a be time when Arquin got 1v1, I don't think his 1v1 finishing will have immediately improved - I think it would be worth the risk. Thirdly, it would allow County to keep the extra striker on the pitch.

But it depends on Brittain being able to hold his own on the right of midfield. I don't think he's been terribly good this season when he's had to play there while he is still nursing an injury. The first Celtic match and the recent ICT derby spring to mind. I'd far rather him as a centre mid if he's playing, but then that's an area that is oversubscribed in a 4-4-2. You would get very little in a creative sense down the right hand side with Saunders behind, we've seen it time and again over the last two and a half seasons with various personnel. That's why I'd have Maatsen with Saunders, but there would have to be a striker less and no-one in the squad does the lone striker as effectively as Arquin at his best. It's still an unbalanced team whichever way you look at it.

So it puts a lot of creative pressure on Carey, who hasn't performed well since his baby. I'd still rather start him than Cardle in the circumstances, who would narrow the pitch too much and ruin the whole strategy.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McLean has been playing as our main striker recently as we have had sod all else to play there with Thommo out. Imagine on Sat he will play just off Arquin - a position to which he is maybe better suited as it gives him a wee bit more space. To me he was wasted playing deep anyway. Further forward he attacks defences and shoots on sight. Now need a centre-back and an experienced midfielder (and a right winger and another forward :) ).

Is there any way of changing this to 7-aside? I feel it might give us a better chance, and we can use a bad weather / electricity forecast as an excuse. ASSUMING the answer's yes, here's my first attempt at a preferred lineup. I'm sure I should have put Reguero more central, and wasn't sure at all where to park the bus, but apart from that about right?

72bawES.jpg

Bunglebonce, mentor me :unsure:

Is there any way of changing this to 7-aside? I feel it might give us a better chance, and we can use a bad weather / electricity forecast as an excuse. ASSUMING the answer's yes, here's my first attempt at a preferred lineup. I'm sure I should have put Reguero more central, and wasn't sure at all where to park the bus, but apart from that about right?

72bawES.jpg

Wait! Carey was played by Carey Mulligan in the recent film!

This works on so many levels...bravo good sir!

How's the weather looking up in Dingers? I think our problems are going to be on the road up, not the actual destination.

Heading up so guaranteed to be called off at 2pm

Weathers calm, been some snow but not enough to panic anyone at this stage. Forecast is cold but dry for tomorrow. I'd be surprised even shocked if it was called off but stranger things have happened.

72bawES.jpg

:lol:

Awww mods, can we keep him????

CAN WE!?

72bawES.jpg

I like the look of that line up, old sport.

Archived