wumins fitba

Good thread and sensible points. I agree it is a totally different game but still enjoyable - if both teams are of a similar standard. There are far too many one sided games for my liking, particularly internationals. In general, the basic skills are there with some good passing and moves. The biggest flaw is when the ball is in the penalty area - cue utter panic. Suddenly defenders are slicing the ball all over the place, forwards doing fresh air shots, the lot. This happens at least twice a game at every level of women's football. The result is often a scrappy goal with the ball trundling into the net after hitting off several players, or a misskick. Unfortunately these incidents are remembered and the 'skilful parts of the game are forgotten. I will continue to watch women's football if it is a competitive match but constantly comparing it to the men's game is silly.

• 3 weeks later...

Women's football is not everyone's cup of tea, which is fair enough, but it's taken off a bit recently and I'm a convert to the cause.

I don't understand the comparison to junior football - a violent local sub-genus of the sport - at all. There isn't anything like as much rough play in the women's game.

It's a lot slower but a lot more methodical and technique-based, with substantially less aimless thwacking.

The players at the top level have been coached from an early age and, if you watch it enough and give it a chance, it shows. Using the example of Arsenal, I reckon you would have to go back at least a generation or two to find the male Scottish equivalent of their player Smith.

Surely it's a lot easier to appear technically good in a much slower game where you're not being closed down anywhere near as much or as quickly. I'm sure quite a few men considered cloggers at lower league level would look a hell of a lot more skillful if you plonked them into the women's game.

Surely it's a lot easier to appear technically good in a much slower game where you're not being closed down anywhere near as much or as quickly. I'm sure quite a few men considered cloggers at lower league level would look a hell of a lot more skillful if you plonked them into the women's game.

At the moment certainly aye. The gulf is huge to the point of comparing apples with oranges. I wonder how big it would be if there was equal participation amongst boys and girls of all ages tho. There would still be a gap of course but youd imagine there might be a bit more of an overlap.

The point about the goalkeepers is spot on tho. Life just isnt fair. Very few women grow to be over 6"2 at all yet you rarely see a professional male goalkeeper who isnt at least that height or more

At the moment certainly aye. The gulf is huge to the point of comparing apples with oranges. I wonder how big it would be if there was equal participation amongst boys and girls of all ages tho. There would still be a gap of course but youd imagine there might be a bit more of an overlap.

The point about the goalkeepers is spot on tho. Life just isnt fair. Very few women grow to be over 6"2 at all yet you rarely see a professional male goalkeeper who isnt at least that height or more

I agree completely. Women will never make up for the physical advantage men have but there's no reason they can't be technically or mentally as good. The gap in quality is clearly largely explained by much higher proportions of men playing the game and additional/better coaching, facilities etc.

I'm just pointing out that those who talk about the women's game being technically better or equal to the men's game, at the moment, are talking utter guff.

That's true - my club had a women's team affiliated to it a few years ago, and they played a Scottish Cup game at our ground against a team from up Aberdeen way who had a wee lassie in goal that couldn't have been any more than 5'1". Early on in the game, our lot realised all they had to do was pass the ball high into the net every time they got into an attacking position, and the game ended something like 24-0.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a daft comparison... like comparing football and rugby. They are dif games. I have some experience of women's football and enjoyed mybtime immensely. Of course the best men's team would hammer the best women's team. That's a guven. In the same way that Djikovic would smash Serena Williams. But does that make her a lesser player. If course not!

Sheer lack of playing numbers doesn't help either, apparently the reason the Women's SPFL has split into 2 leagues of 8. The weaker teams were getting absolutely hammered when it was one big league. I wandered along to the SPFL2 game on Sunday between Hearts and Inverness and the standard was woeful compared to Hibs, Glasgow City & Celtic in SPFL1.

Archived