wumins fitba

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2015765-men-vs-women-will-women-one-day-be-better-at-football-than-men

Well who realy cares? not many folk certainly tho after talking about this at work i thought i see what p&b thinks of it.

will women ever be as good as men at football? probably not. some people seem to believe that shite male sunday league player > profesional female internation player which surely cant be the case.

The short answer is that for reasons mention the best men will always be better than the best women. however i think the biggest thing holding back the womens game is that they just dont have the numbers that men do. if they had roughly equal numbers of men and women playing football regularly at all ages then i think there would be much more of an overlap in abilitys than the current gulf that exists. you may even have female players who could compete along side male players but who knows.

when the subject of pay comes up i realy dont think its unfair, as i sid before even if women had the same strength depth as men therir best 11 would not be as good as the mens . in that case they couldnt expect to earn as much either. after all its not rorry loys fault hes not as good as ronaldo but nobody suggests he should get paid the same.

• 1 month later...

Well it seema like the both of yous do care about it or you wouldn't be spending time talking about it on here.

Also the misfortune your talking about why did you go in the first place then?? Even from one of the best womens team in Scotland compared to one of a few down in England you can still see a big difference in the standard of play. Women's football doesn't get the same media as males so that is why prob 80% of people will always think womens football waste of time even in this day of age..terrible.

• 5 weeks later...

Well it seema like the both of yous do care about it or you wouldn't be spending time talking about it on here.

Also the misfortune your talking about why did you go in the first place then?? Even from one of the best womens team in Scotland compared to one of a few down in England you can still see a big difference in the standard of play. Women's football doesn't get the same media as males so that is why prob 80% of people will always think womens football waste of time even in this day of age..terrible.

we did accidently post this twice. in the other thread there was abit more of a response but none of it was realy all that positive. i was more wondering where the top womens teams compare to the mens game ie what level could they compete at? and what do you think is the main thing putting girls of football - or sports in general? is it the attatude of parents? other girls? boys? or society in general?

• 2 weeks later...

Have taken my daughter to watch the Scotland women's team who are doing good things under Anna Signeul. Was very entertaining and pleasantly devoid of any diving or rolling around feigning injury. How the standard relates to the men's game is pretty much irrelevant as the two will likely never mix.

Prob the main thing putting females off being involved in football is the stigma that alot of people attach to it. If you play football you must be a lesbian. From when I played this happened alot of the time and I was getting to a point I wouldn't tell people I played as they would just assume it. Nowadays the female game is slightly getting more publicity in the press which is great. But female and males you can never compare as male is much more physical and faster.

Prob the main thing putting females off being involved in football is the stigma that alot of people attach to it. If you play football you must be a lesbian. From when I played this happened alot of the time and I was getting to a point I wouldn't tell people I played as they would just assume it. Nowadays the female game is slightly getting more publicity in the press which is great. But female and males you can never compare as male is much more physical and faster.

I think this is changing. Lots of women and girl teams around and a higher profile for women's football generally. Hopefully in a few years that sort of nonsense will be gone for good.

Women's football is not everyone's cup of tea, which is fair enough, but it's taken off a bit recently and I'm a convert to the cause.

I don't understand the comparison to junior football - a violent local sub-genus of the sport - at all. There isn't anything like as much rough play in the women's game.

It's a lot slower but a lot more methodical and technique-based, with substantially less aimless thwacking.

The players at the top level have been coached from an early age and, if you watch it enough and give it a chance, it shows. Using the example of Arsenal, I reckon you would have to go back at least a generation or two to find the male Scottish equivalent of their player Smith.

Where i think the biggest difference lies, is in the genetic makeup of the sexes. Women, by some distance, are far more logical, less irrational and tend to only worry about really super-serious things. Which is why we love them. Throwing yer heed into a flying boot to clear shots, or sticking the napper on a pissant opponent, far less spitting on him or, the ultimate sin, cheating to win, is all part of the theatre of the game and how important it is to win. Anyone who's ever seen David Coleman's intro for the Battle of Santiago between Chile and Italy, and his horrified expression in warning viewers as to the violence, would agree with me. In my opinion, its not that girls are shite, just relatively passionless.

Where i think the biggest difference lies, is in the genetic makeup of the sexes. Women, by some distance, are far more logical, less irrational and tend to only worry about really super-serious things. Which is why we love them. Throwing yer heed into a flying boot to clear shots, or sticking the napper on a pissant opponent, far less spitting on him or, the ultimate sin, cheating to win, is all part of the theatre of the game and how important it is to win. Anyone who's ever seen David Coleman's intro for the Battle of Santiago between Chile and Italy, and his horrified expression in warning viewers as to the violence, would agree with me. In my opinion, its not that girls are shite, just relatively passionless.

Man City ladies seem to have a fair bit of passion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32377723

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32138580

But but but......a bit of a storm in a b-cup about it. England managers getting their knickers in a twist, the poor cow having to apologise and defend herself, and the possibility of what we'll call 'mitigating circumstances' playing a part leaves me a little sceptical. The male England captain shagged the left-backs missus, called his team-mates brother a you-know-whit, and still chucked it on his own terms. It's called character.

• 8 months later...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2015765-men-vs-women-will-women-one-day-be-better-at-football-than-men

Well who realy cares? not many folk certainly tho after talking about this at work i thought i see what p&b thinks of it.

will women ever be as good as men at football? probably not. some people seem to believe that shite male sunday league player > profesional female internation player which surely cant be the case.

The short answer is that for reasons mention the best men will always be better than the best women. however i think the biggest thing holding back the womens game is that they just dont have the numbers that men do. if they had roughly equal numbers of men and women playing football regularly at all ages then i think there would be much more of an overlap in abilitys than the current gulf that exists. you may even have female players who could compete along side male players but who knows.

when the subject of pay comes up i realy dont think its unfair, as i sid before even if women had the same strength depth as men therir best 11 would not be as good as the mens . in that case they couldnt expect to earn as much either. after all its not rorry loys fault hes not as good as ronaldo but nobody suggests he should get paid the same.

As far as pay, it's not about being as good as men, it's just about popularity. Women's tennis players also lack physical advantages of men, and top players wouldn't be able to compete with top men players, but pay is fairly similar, because women's tennis is about as popular as men's tennis.

Similarly, top American women's football (soccer) players make millions in endorsements and can be richer than the best American men soccer players, because women's soccer is popular over there, especially the national team. Their national women's team scrimmaged with one of their youth men's team a couple years ago and was destroyed, I don't remember the result, but it was a big difference, something like 8:2 or similar. It doesn't matter, women's soccer is very popular there regardless.

Women will never be comparable to men in sports that rely on speed and power, but it doesn't really matter, it's traditions and supporter tastes that stops women's football form being as popular as men's. More than half of all women who play soccer at some pro, amateur, youth, senior level live in the US and Canada right now. Different traditions and culture over there, mainly because of their college sports system. People realise that women aren't as big or fast or strong as men, but it's still sports, still drama. If sports were just about speed, power, size and best highlights, then we might as well just pump everyone with steroids, but it's not what sports are about, they are more about traditions, drama, emotions, role models. Obviously, highlights and speed go a long way, but women's sports can be very popular and big money makers, in some cultures.

Maybe 50 years from now women's football will also be very big, it's already grown a lot financially compared to 20 years ago. But it's still just a regional sport right now.

It is what it is - a lot of the players are skilful, but the game's played at a much lower tempo with less tackling and so on. I've been to quite a few games in the last few years as the summer season fills a gap when there's nothing else on, but I'm not convinced it'll ever find mass acceptance in this country given our penchant for 100mph blood and snotters football.

In terms of whether the sexes will ever compete on a level playing field, I remember the manager of the German team who horsed Glasgow City about 18-0 on aggregate in the Champions League saying it was never going to happen, as women are starting from a baseline of being 20-30% physically smaller, slower and weaker than men, and that even an exceptional female player wouldn't be able to adapt.

Someone told me a while ago that Glasgow City who are obviously head and shoulders above the rest of the Scottish womens' game were talking about playing a friendly against Petershill who they groundshared with at the time to show how far they had come. From what I heard, the idea was quietly shelved after they played a couple of bounce games against boys' clubs and were roundly beaten.

It is what it is - a lot of the players are skilful, but the game's played at a much lower tempo with less tackling and so on. I've been to quite a few games in the last few years as the summer season fills a gap when there's nothing else on, but I'm not convinced it'll ever find mass acceptance in this country given our penchant for 100mph blood and snotters football.

In terms of whether the sexes will ever compete on a level playing field, I remember the manager of the German team who horsed Glasgow City about 18-0 on aggregate in the Champions League saying it was never going to happen, as women are starting from a baseline of being 20-30% physically smaller, slower and weaker than men, and that even an exceptional female player wouldn't be able to adapt.

Someone told me a while ago that Glasgow City who are obviously head and shoulders above the rest of the Scottish womens' game were talking about playing a friendly against Petershill who they groundshared with at the time to show how far they had come. From what I heard, the idea was quietly shelved after they played a couple of bounce games against boys' clubs and were roundly beaten.

Maybe it won't, at least I think it would have to start elsewhere in Europe. It's costly to grow a sport's audience in today's crowded and rich sports market. Bigger countries in Europe will probably have to lead the way and maybe it catches up in Scotland. Germany right now is the clear leader in Europe in terms of investment and participation in women's football, UK is far behind. Maybe it will catch up with time.

Women's football in general has progressed so much over the last couple decades. Until 90s, we had no women's world cup or women's football in the Olympics. Now women's world cup is a pretty big event and generates close to a 100 mil US dollars and attracts dozens of millions TV viewers for the final, and its revenues, attendances, viewers grow significantly every 4 years. Some women football players manage to make millions each year now, that was unthinkable 20 years ago. Who knows what happens in another 20 or 40 years, maybe that progress will reach UK as well, and maybe we'll have real sustainable pro leagues (instead of semi-pro) in UK and Europe.

Anyway, I think the blood and snotters football crowd shouldn't be the main target. If some rich folk in Scotland decide to invest into women's football, it should be more family targeted. The hardcore crowd might form over many decades. But the main niche should be families, especially families with girls. Women players can connect to girls in a way that men players will never be able to do. Girls used to copy Mia Hamm's ponytail haircut in the US years ago and pretend they were Mia Hamm during their own games. Today it's Alex Morgan and her pink headband, it seems like millions of girls want to wear pink headbands because they want to be like Morgan. Boys used to copy Beckham's haircuts, but Beckham or Ronaldo or Messi can never reach girls to the same degree.

It doesn't matter if a women's team can beat Petershill or not, and tbh, I don't think that anything would change even if they beat Petershill. People won't suddenly start going to women's football games just because they can beat Petershill.

If they focused on families, gave more family friendly atmosphere than typical drunk football crowds, added additional events to make it more of a nice summer evening for the whole family than just a football game, then maybe it could develop. Mass acceptance is far away, that would take decades at best. But I think there's a niche for them to have solid crowds and grow. If you keep attracting people and they have a good time, and your league also has good sports drama, it won't matter so much if the players are top athletes or not. You might even start developing hardcore supporters over long time.

There's this semi-pro frisbee league in the US and Canada (AUDL), it started just a few years ago and seemed like a crazy idea. Who wants to buy tickets to frisbee games? There are lots of popular sports that drain all the top athletic talent, frisbee is a minor sport that's left with mostly unathletic guys, and in popular perception it's a sport for hippies and dogs. But today just a couple years later there are a few frisbee teams that get 2000-3000 people to some games, they buy tickets, food, merchandize. They did it by marketing well, working hard within communities, keeping in touch with customers. They added good food, events for fans and various giveaways and what not, to keep people engaged. Instead of just a frisbee game, it's a fun summer evening out for family, and it's marketed well. If they just played a frisbee game and expected people to show up because they can beat Petershill, it wouldn't work.

we did accidently post this twice. in the other thread there was abit more of a response but none of it was realy all that positive. i was more wondering where the top womens teams compare to the mens game ie what level could they compete at? and what do you think is the main thing putting girls of football - or sports in general? is it the attatude of parents? other girls? boys? or society in general?

Just wondered where else you posted it. I'm assuming you know the subforum about women's fitba is here

Unfortunately it's not very busy as I see it's 3 weeks since I posted and nothing since...

I've started going this season and been 3 times so far.

Just wondered where else you posted it. I'm assuming you know the subforum about women's fitba is here

Unfortunately it's not very busy as I see it's 3 weeks since I posted and nothing since...

I've started going this season and been 3 times so far.

Although there is a women's sub forum I think this is probablythe correct place for this thread.

I don't know too much about women's football but I've been to a couple Scotland games. What I find a bit baffling is I have been to Scotland u21s games with similar if not more attendance than some of the women's games. I think the best thing for women's football could be a TV deal, it would be miniscule in comparison to the men's equivalent but with prices already low and attendances already low there's nothing really that could be done there.

A TV deal could be the only way to provide an income to help improve the game for women and possibly more a tie-in/link with the mens game too.

I watch Sunderland ladies all the time and have done for 4 or 5 seasons now and I enjoy it and a good mate of mine comes to the games with me now and we have even travelled away to watch them. They finished 4th down here in England last season and led the league till a few matches to go in their first season in the top flight after years of being effectively shit on by the FA and having seen a Man City side which finished miles behind us getting parachuted into the top flight because they had more money. The lasses stuck together and won the league for the third time running to finally get the promotion they deserved and made the most of it last season.

It should never be compared to the men's game (yet everybody does this).

They play on the same size pitch with the same size goals yet they are physically so much smaller. This is the main reason the keepers get so much stick as a lot of the time they cannot reach the shots which are high into the goals or low into the corners but the male keepers would have the same issue if we increased the width of the goals by 2 feet and raised the bar by 6 inches.

It's a different game, but no less enjoyable for that once you get used to it. Seen some great games watching them over the last few years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although there is a women's sub forum I think this is probablythe correct place for this thread.

I don't know too much about women's football but I've been to a couple Scotland games. What I find a bit baffling is I have been to Scotland u21s games with similar if not more attendance than some of the women's games. I think the best thing for women's football could be a TV deal, it would be miniscule in comparison to the men's equivalent but with prices already low and attendances already low there's nothing really that could be done there.

A TV deal could be the only way to provide an income to help improve the game for women and possibly more a tie-in/link with the mens game too.

The advantage down here is that some clubs, particularly the premier league ones, have a few quid to throw at the Ladies sides and have even started paying players and putting them on full time training programmes alongside the men's team, I seriously hope that when/if Sunderland get relegated that they do not neglect the Ladies side as they are actually the most successful part of the club,

Archived