9 Dart Finish or 147 Break?

gavin_3110

Which is harder, 9 dart finish or 147 break?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I chose the 147, because I find snooker to be a lot harder than darts, but when you're talking at the top level and you take the amount of attempts into account, then it's possible to imagine a 9 darter is proportionally a rarer occurance. Darts players play a lot more legs than snooker players play frames. I got the stat that O'Sullivan played 6117 ranking frames, Taylor would have played far more legs than that, but couldn't find that stat anywhere.

The proportion of these should be possible to work out if you could find the relevant stats, doesn't really prove which is harder though.

• 1 month later...

As a player of both sports I went for 9 darter. I would say I am better at darts than I am at snooker yet I've probably more chance of getting a 147 than a 9 darter. A 9 darter has limited ways of being done yet a 147 can be done lots of ways. Also if you make a mistake in a 147 there is still a chance of it being done but if a mistake is made in a 9 darter then that's it game over. All down to personal opinion though.

147 by a country mile for me.

I play both though snooker substantially more and I'm better at snooker than darts by far. I would never get a 147 in a million years but I've hit 6 treble 20's in a row on a dart board so physically only three darts away (though my doubles are ridiculously bad so wouldn't hit them).

Snooker my highest break is 52 which was a lucky day.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe this is actually up for debate, 147 is far far harder, anyone thats ever tried playing snooker should know this.

36 balls to pot or 9 darts at a board?! Theres nearly a 9darter every week in the premier league ffs.

• 3 years later...

The concentration and skill needed for a sustained period of time to perform a 147 break is unreal. One overhit shot, one bad canon into a ball or one bad contact with the white and the break is done. It’s not even a debate and anyone who has played both sports at any level must agree. Not really taking away from a 9 darter as that’s still an incredible achievement but I’ve watched players hit 9 darters and it’s almost done on instinct(and a huge amount of practice and skill tbf). 

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on your chosen sport. I'd imagine a big fat heifer like Adrian Lewis might struggle to get to 147 but, equally, Ronnie O'Sullivan might knock in a 147 with all the difficulty of him negotiating himself out of a supermarket carpet yet find himself in madhouse trying to bang in a 9 darter.

• 1 year later...