9 Dart Finish or 147 Break?

gavin_3110

Which is harder, 9 dart finish or 147 break?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

147 for me. Requires 36 shots whilst having to plan 2/3 shots ahead at any point in time.

Ronnie O'sullivan has 13 career 147s while Phil Taylor has had 11 in his career, in televised competitions.

I would suggest that a 9 darter is almost expected at a darts championship now - there have been 25 in televised events since 2007 which I think is a pretty impressive stat which suggests a 147 is more difficult.

Both, however, are sporting perfection and I think I could play for the rest of my life and never come close to either.

Would put a 9darter as marginally harder.

A 147 can be started by the other players poor break or shot setting the balls nicely for the break.

Not always the case but sometimes it is the start and momentum to get things going.

A 9 darter is 100% solo and cannot be affected by other player.

Edited by MEADOWXI

Definitely the 147 for me. Far more variables involved in a 147, the only thing that is the same every time you step up to the table is the location of the pockets. You could say there is an element of luck involved though when you split up the reds and stuff like that.

Haha, my favourite topic, there was an old thread on this from about 8 years ago that went in one of the culls, which ended up in one of the bitterest disputes I have seen on here that went on for months.

For the record, the correct answer is 9 dart finish. ;)

Definitely the 147 for me. Far more variables involved in a 147, the only thing that is the same every time you step up to the table is the location of the pockets. You could say there is an element of luck involved though when you split up the reds and stuff like that.

This.

Not sure if it's harder but I definetely have more admiration for someone who makes a 147. I think mainly for what's been touched on already about the variables, it requires you to think, adapt and be inventive. A 9 dart finish doesn't require any of that, it's the same every time.

On the other hand with a 147 you can get away with some misjudged shots - like poor positioning - but pot your way out if trouble. In that sense I doubt any 147 has ever been 'perfect' the way the player had planned to play every shot.

147 is infinitely harder but a 9 darter isn't the same every time there are quite a few ways to go.

How many nine darters do not involve seven of the same shot (treble 60)? Obviously any of the nine darters made in the double start double finish competitions, but generally you see seven treble 20s hit and the last two are depending on the player's choice (but again the treble 19 and double 12 is the most popular route).

I would love to see someone do treble 20, treble 19 and Bull three times. Obviously switching three times in the same three darts increases the difficulty incredibly, but even though there is a few ways to go generally you do see the same pattern.