Soccer on a Sunday

Grim O'Grady

The problem with this fixture arose as the LL set the date that coincided with a Stirling Albion home game.

Not the fault of the university but they did their best to resolve the situation when they were refused permission to use Forthbank on the Sunday, with the co-operation of Threave and Spartans the problem of the fixture was solved with everyone agreeable, though it seems the League weren't happy.

Now the LL has a 'contact us' facility on the website, I have used this more than once to ask questions, ALSO pointed out this fixture well in advance, did I get any response NO none whatsoever!

Now lets look at who is responsible for setting the LL fixtures, now difficult job this, has a maximum of 7 YES 7 league games to

put in place. How many teams groundshare, hmmm, 2 that complicates things,lol.

Come on now the Scottish Football League fixtures been in place How Long?

Only has to check out the fixture of ONE team still manages to set the Uni for a home fixture at the same time as Stirling Albion.

The Lowland League, esp the admin side is still coming across as a 'Mickey Mouse' operation.

Not responding to website queries,

Sometimes 2 or 3 days before tables updated.

Now this moan goes back to the very start of the LL,

I was contacted to provide a brief match report, which would appear on the LL website,

in return free entry to any LL game as long as a report was submitted,

I sent in reports, details of games that I was going to, NEVER had one response.

So in fairness the LL need to get their own act together!

Just who do you think the LL administration are? They are people doing a voluntary service to make us one of the best (if not the best) organised non-league set-ups in Scotland. They are not employed by the league but have full time jobs outside football. I know they have had difficulty with the website but I agree that there is no excuse for never getting back to you on a particular question submitted through the website (assuming that they got it).

The fixture secretary has to be without doubt the best in non-league football. It is a huge improvement on what we had in the East of Scotland days and vastly superior to what the junior universe has. There is only so much that this volunteer can do to work around the two ground sharing clubs (Is there any link to the fact that both of them are still to be licensed?). It is hardly the fixture secretary's fault that Stirling's home ground cannot be played on in consecutive days. I would suggest that the problem lies elsewhere and the club in question need to ask themselves if they have the facilities to operate at this level of football.

Free entry for match reports???

Sat 4th October 2014 Albion v Dunfermline

Sun 5th October 2014 Uni v Albion Rovers

Im no here to have a go at the uni but if the league were nae happy how did the match at Ainslie get the go ahead in 1st place ? :wacko:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sat 4th October 2014 Albion v Dunfermline

Sun 5th October 2014 Uni v Albion Rovers

Im no here to have a go at the uni but if the league were nae happy how did the match at Ainslie get the go ahead in 1st place ? :wacko:

1. Happen the pitch wasnae as soggy in October?

1. Happen it fucked the pitch up they said "never again".

I'm not having a go just thinking it through.

Might be thinking a load of codswallop too?

Grimbo

1. Happen the pitch wasnae as soggy in October?

1. Happen it fucked the pitch up they said "never again".

I'm not having a go just thinking it through.

Might be thinking a load of codswallop too?

Grimbo

Grim ffs gie me a break!!!

Your the one who wants it to be professional league.

Having teams play away from their nominated park is codswallop if ye want it to be taken seriously.

As I stated before if the league were nae happy with this arrangement how did it get the go ahead in 1st place.?

I take it someone from the league committee sanctioned it and as jute pointed out why was it no advertised so neutrals could go along?

Newky, the next thing that'll happen is teams that have still to play league cup games with each other will merely suggest that the league game counts for three points and as a cup tie- just like can happen at boys club and amateur.

Normally I'm all for common sense and getting games on but I agree with you here- this makes the league look sloppy at best and another reason for those in league two to be far from happy with dropping into it.

The date, time and venue were shown on the LL site. I believe Stirling booked the venue before the holiday period.

Brechin played a few home league games at Forfar last season as their pitch was unplayable.

The website is not accessible from my phone (keeps coming up error) and did nae see it on the bbc etc.

The 1st i knew about it was grims thread.

Obviously I wasn't the only one who knew nothing about it.

Can someone give the lad on the other thread info if the unis are playing tomorrow.

Fair point regarding Brechin I never knew that.

Al get doon off my soapbox now and find some northern league games, least their whole set up is well organised :P

LL may not have been happy with Sundays arrangement, but having given BSC permission to change venue against Stirling University earlier in the season, I don't suppose they had much choice but to agree to it, eventually.

As for Cicero's response, OK on the main the fixture secretary does an excellent job, but my point of Stirling Albion's fixtures being set for the full season it isn't a big task to check if they are at home on certain dates.

Secondly, if the website 'contact us' is unreliable how do you contact the fixture secretary.

I'm not trying to make the fixture secretary look bad, but as I follow the Uni. I did try to point out the problem when the fixtures were issued, that would have been sufficent time to arrange an alternative date.

Also why should the secretary have even thought of Forthbank being able or unable to host a Saturday and a Sunday game.

Surely the Sunday is only an alternative as in earlier in the season when Stirling Albion and the Uni had to play at home in a Scottish Cup weekend.

Maybe a point to be learned here, that supporters can be helpful in such circumstances.

I take the point on board that the league is run by volunteers, but I do voluntary stuff myself, to do it justice then, if you take something on, you must be able to allot a certain number of hours to do the job properly.

As for the League itself, these things have to arise before rules are really put in place, and it is a case of lessons to be learned maybe we will address these problems better in the future.

Final point, did anyone gain or lose an advantage from the game going ahead.

Stirling, disadvantage, playing 'home' game Away from home.

Threave in fairness would probably have expected to go home pointless if the game had gone ahead at Forthbank.

Did it affect anyone else in the League, No.

Did it affect anyone else in the League, No.

I can't agree with this point, the result wasn't know pre ko, what if threave had got a point? Maybe that would have been enough to finish 13th ok so 14th might not mean much this season but it might, how would you feel if it was your club disadvantaged by another club being allowed to play a side at a neutal venue rather than away from home? It may not even be a full point, could it reasonably be predicted stiring may have won by 8 had it been at home? that one goal could be enough to change things dramatically.

Last point & not pointing to any particular poster because he's not the only one.

Rome wasn't built in a day & the Pyramid has taken even longer, last season we finally got the LL off, well on the ground. There's still mutterings about just how serious the HL are about the Pyramid.

It's not the perfect Pyramid (in my eyes) BUT it's here & let's make the most of it, it stands up & it (hopefully) can be improved as we also improve.

Eventually all clubs will be at the "professional" standard that is deemed to be fitting for this level but surely there should be some flexibility at this level to (in the great words of Suggs) bend not break the rules?

Thinking back I would have preferred that we would have had the play-off promotion in place last season but alas 'twas not to be. That wasn't in the rules.

Grimbo

Archived