Soccer on a Sunday

Grim O'Grady

Any SPFL teams done this?

well, Meadowbank had to play "home" cup ties against Hearts at Brockville and Hibs at Starks because the polis wouldn't let them play those clubs at the Stadium. When Berwick's roof blew off at Shielfield in the 1990s they played "home" games at Tynecastle and Meadowbank.

Perhaps your own club should have played Celtic in the Scottish Cup at Fergie Park....?

Oh no no no Tam, WW wouldn't be so unprofessional as to play an home tie at any other ground, surely you are mistaken, despite the newspaper cuttings in their club house, never can trust they journo's eh?

Grimbo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any SPFL teams done this?

well, Meadowbank had to play "home" cup ties against Hearts at Brockville and Hibs at Starks because the polis wouldn't let them play those clubs at the Stadium. When Berwick's roof blew off at Shielfield in the 1990s they played "home" games at Tynecastle and Meadowbank.

Perhaps your own club should have played Celtic in the Scottish Cup at Fergie Park....?

Did Meadowbank ever play hibs hearts or the old firm at the commonwealth stadium ??

Yes perhaps they should've played Celtic at Rosewell but the polis stopped it on safety grounds then ye end up getting robbed by yer landlords for one match only ;)

Bit of a difference there compared to todays LL match.

I give up :P

I can see the arguments against Stirling v Threave going ahead at Ainslie Park, but as the Gopher points out we are not the first club that this situation has happened to, BSC did play us at EK.

But if the game was postponed until it could be played at Forthbank, why would it be midweek, surely there must be some fixture juggling to be done when cup games are scheduled.

Personally I wasn't in favour of travelling to Edinburgh for a home game, but did go.

I echo Gopher on this as well Thanks very much for the Hospitality.

I gather the LL wasn't keen on the idea of taking the game to Ainslie Park,

But, 1, they let BSC change venue against us.

2, when the fixtures were released it should have been noted at that point that Stirling Albion were at home that day.

So in a way the League had no alternative but to agree to an arrangement that both teams agreed upon.

I can see the arguments against Stirling v Threave going ahead at Ainslie Park, but as the Gopher points out we are not the first club that this situation has happened to, BSC did play us at EK.

But if the game was postponed until it could be played at Forthbank, why would it be midweek, surely there must be some fixture juggling to be done when cup games are scheduled.

Personally I wasn't in favour of travelling to Edinburgh for a home game, but did go.

I echo Gopher on this as well Thanks very much for the Hospitality.

I gather the LL wasn't keen on the idea of taking the game to Ainslie Park,

But, 1, they let BSC change venue against us.

2, when the fixtures were released it should have been noted at that point that Stirling Albion were at home that day.

So in a way the League had no alternative but to agree to an arrangement that both teams agreed upon.

Thanks for that Mr.Hardy sensible post clearing one or two things up.

Oh no no no Tam, WW wouldn't be so unprofessional as to play an home tie at any other ground, surely you are mistaken, despite the newspaper cuttings in their club house, never can trust they journo's eh?

Grimbo

Yeve never been in our social club long enough to have read the newspaper cuttings :P

How many LL clubs have taps of real ale ??

You'd only empty it over a table anyways ;)

I wouldn't spill my pint if it was decent. I don't mind bottled, it's better than the fizzy chemical shite tbh.

Grimbo

Thanks Mr.Hardy for your comments, some people get excited about hee haw. Both teams were obviously happy to get on with some fixtures instead of getting screwed up in trivialities. An evening midweek game for any of our border teams is a a bit of a nightmare, especially in this weather, so why even consider it. Can we just watch football, and enjoy it, cheers.

Thanks Mr.Hardy for your comments, some people get excited about hee haw. Both teams were obviously happy to get on with some fixtures instead of getting screwed up in trivialities. An evening midweek game for any of our border teams is a a bit of a nightmare, especially in this weather, so why even consider it. Can we just watch football, and enjoy it, cheers.

Goph, there's a mental element (no offence intended) on here that struggle to contain their jealousy of anything Spartans related, had the fixture been at Leiths Meadowbank 3G pitch I'm sure both teams would have been congratulated on seeking an alternative to further postponements & would probably have asked why more teams aren't doing this to prevent the massive fixture backlog that will no doubt be building up if this winter weather persists?

At least at ours the spectator gets some cover from the elements.

Grimbo

Goph, there's a mental element (no offence intended) on here that struggle to contain their jealousy of anything Spartans related, had the fixture been at Leiths Meadowbank 3G pitch I'm sure both teams would have been congratulated on seeking an alternative to further postponements & would probably have asked why more teams aren't doing this to prevent the massive fixture backlog that will no doubt be building up if this winter weather persists?

At least at ours the spectator gets some cover from the elements.

Grimbo

Bait taken again yer its just no funny anymore!

My posts on this thread had nowt to do with yer beloved Spartans and again I stand by every post I've made. I would say the same if ww tried it as well!!!

Bait taken again yer its just no funny anymore!My posts on this thread had nowt to do with yer beloved Spartans and again I stand by every post I've made. I would say the same if ww tried it as well!!!

Nom nom nom

Who says I was talking about you Newks me lad? ;)

Common sense prevails every time over stuffy procedures n shit in my book, it's a not by the book book.

Grimbo

The problem with this fixture arose as the LL set the date that coincided with a Stirling Albion home game.

Not the fault of the university but they did their best to resolve the situation when they were refused permission to use Forthbank on the Sunday, with the co-operation of Threave and Spartans the problem of the fixture was solved with everyone agreeable, though it seems the League weren't happy.

Now the LL has a 'contact us' facility on the website, I have used this more than once to ask questions, ALSO pointed out this fixture well in advance, did I get any response NO none whatsoever!

Now lets look at who is responsible for setting the LL fixtures, now difficult job this, has a maximum of 7 YES 7 league games to

put in place. How many teams groundshare, hmmm, 2 that complicates things,lol.

Come on now the Scottish Football League fixtures been in place How Long?

Only has to check out the fixture of ONE team still manages to set the Uni for a home fixture at the same time as Stirling Albion.

The Lowland League, esp the admin side is still coming across as a 'Mickey Mouse' operation.

Not responding to website queries,

Sometimes 2 or 3 days before tables updated.

Now this moan goes back to the very start of the LL,

I was contacted to provide a brief match report, which would appear on the LL website,

in return free entry to any LL game as long as a report was submitted,

I sent in reports, details of games that I was going to, NEVER had one response.

So in fairness the LL need to get their own act together!

The problem with this fixture arose as the LL set the date that coincided with a Stirling Albion home game.

Not the fault of the university but they did their best to resolve the situation when they were refused permission to use Forthbank on the Sunday, with the co-operation of Threave and Spartans the problem of the fixture was solved with everyone agreeable, though it seems the League weren't happy.

Now the LL has a 'contact us' facility on the website, I have used this more than once to ask questions, ALSO pointed out this fixture well in advance, did I get any response NO none whatsoever!

Now lets look at who is responsible for setting the LL fixtures, now difficult job this, has a maximum of 7 YES 7 league games to

put in place. How many teams groundshare, hmmm, 2 that complicates things,lol.

Come on now the Scottish Football League fixtures been in place How Long?

Only has to check out the fixture of ONE team still manages to set the Uni for a home fixture at the same time as Stirling Albion.

The Lowland League, esp the admin side is still coming across as a 'Mickey Mouse' operation.

Not responding to website queries,

Sometimes 2 or 3 days before tables updated.

Now this moan goes back to the very start of the LL,

I was contacted to provide a brief match report, which would appear on the LL website,

in return free entry to any LL game as long as a report was submitted,

I sent in reports, details of games that I was going to, NEVER had one response.

So in fairness the LL need to get their own act together!

Just who do you think the LL administration are? They are people doing a voluntary service to make us one of the best (if not the best) organised non-league set-ups in Scotland. They are not employed by the league but have full time jobs outside football. I know they have had difficulty with the website but I agree that there is no excuse for never getting back to you on a particular question submitted through the website (assuming that they got it).

The fixture secretary has to be without doubt the best in non-league football. It is a huge improvement on what we had in the East of Scotland days and vastly superior to what the junior universe has. There is only so much that this volunteer can do to work around the two ground sharing clubs (Is there any link to the fact that both of them are still to be licensed?). It is hardly the fixture secretary's fault that Stirling's home ground cannot be played on in consecutive days. I would suggest that the problem lies elsewhere and the club in question need to ask themselves if they have the facilities to operate at this level of football.

Free entry for match reports???

I know but still be lot less than some clubs have spent

Will it? Remember the costs of renting are ongoing but the costs of upgrading is one off.

For what its worth I think clubs should be allowed to do whatever they like to meet the standards required, no point in stamping your feet and shouting its not fair they can do it cheaper.

Archived