Raith v Dumbarton

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Footballs a funny old game it seems as we all see things differently ... I thought Elliot was slightly better today, but still his usual fairyish, I'm going to roll about, keep my head down & look like I cant be assed being here self ... His assist was good, but other than that I thought he done very little to merit staying on that park for 90 minutes.

I'm totally agree with those that say there is no way in hell that sub should have been Stewart for Nade, Elliot should have been off. When you have not moved out your own half for 20 minutes you don't take off your only mobile, fast, work horse player and have 2 lamp posts upfront who will do nothing but stand there ...

Pleased with the win, great first half, horrendous second half, onto next week we go !

Well done Rovers today !playing with a bit of confidence after 2 victories on the road. Thought Callaghan had another excellent performance a big improvement on Mr Fox. Should have been out of sight but typically we start to get the jitters and almost blew it 2nd half, we badly need a goalscorer as we are making plenty of chances but aren't being clinical enough in front of goal. Apart from the last 15 mins Dumbarton were never in it , but to be fair they didn't look interested up until that point . Yet again the Witch pulls off another superb save to deny the Sons and on balance of play and chances it would have been harsh on Rovers not getting the 3points.

Good first half, poor second half. Squeaky bum time at 2-1 which was infuriating as we had looked relatively comfortable. If Stewart had finished that lovely move early into the 2nd half it was game over. Instead we sat back and invited Dumbarton onto us and made some sloppy decisions whilst in possession. First half though we restricted Dumbarton to long range efforts and played it simple and McKeown and Thomson were receiving a lot of the ball. In fact I'd say McKeown in the first half looked quite assured and decent. Will be interesting to see how close Conroy's free kick was in the first half. Quality penalty from him as well. Chuffed with the 3 points naturally :)

The M&M effect continues though. Elliot did indeed play a bit better. Malpas had a wee word in his ear as well? Or maybe told Bert to do so?

Also, the first half was one of the best performances of the season in terms of ball retention and slow build up, with players comfortable on the ball. Dumbarton offered very little in terms of attacking prowess first half.

A deserved win, especially after what happened at the Bet Butler in the final few minutes. McKeown off the line evened that up!

Also was it an open goal when the Dumbarton boy smacked the bar. I was to busy looking through my fingers by that point.

I didn't think it wad the bar it hit off, I thought I smacked right off Watson or Hills face and went over.. So was surprised when a goal kick was given.. But it makes sense that it was the bar as the power if the shot would have knocked them out if it hit them in the puss..

Another win which can't complain about although we faded a bit second half and let Dumbarton back into it. Three points to get us further away from relegation spots. Who knows, keep this up and we could force our way into the play off spots.

The home crowd at Starks baffle me. Positive and encouraging in the first half which made a nice change. Then resorted to type in the second half. With 55 minutes gone and us leading 2-0 there were people around me screaming at Murray to change things as if we were getting hammered. And the abuse of Elliot was horrific. Corner to Rovers in the last 5 minutes and a 'supporter' was telling Elliot he was a c**t and an excuse for a footballer. What a way to support your team.

Hopefully results continue to shut these muppets up.

We played very well in that first half, limiting Dumbarton to only a few long range efforts. Elliot was impressive in the early exchanges, as was Anderson and it came as no surprise that those two would link up for one of the goals. Penalty looked a stick on as well - the lack of complaints from the away end seemed testament to that. Elliot gets a lot of stick from our fans, some of it warranted and some of it not. He is still far too interested in winding up opposition, or telling the ref he's wrong for me, but he's now at an age where that won't change. He frustrates the life out of me, but on his day - the first half today - he is a cut above anything else we have in the final third. He hasn't scored in the league for over a year, which naturally leaves him open to abuse, but at times it's like he's got eyes on the back of his head when it comes to picking a pass. His movement drags the defenders all over the place and opens up the play and he was a total thorn in Dumbarton's side. I thought him staying on the park and hooking Stewart was the correct decision.

Conroy was effective as always, his positioning is excellent and he gives us the right balance on the left side. McKeown looked better today and had a good game, his header at the front post a high point, I'm warming to him. Ross Callachan has been the revelation of our season for me. It's so pleasing to see someone who we've likely spent a lot of money on developing over the years come through the ranks and perform as he is just now.

Fans today were infuriating, it's like the team can't please them. It is absolutely no surprise to me that some of them refuse to applaud them at the end of any game, it certainly seems to me that it is orchestrated and has been spoken about in the dressing room. I'm absolutely in agreement with them over it as well, I wouldn't applaud anyone who boo at 2-0 up.

Three wins out of three and Malpas is looking like an astute recruitment. Credit to Murray as well, I was all for getting him out a few weeks back, but you can't argue with the results. I'd love to finish here by saying it's nice to have a good feeling about the place again, but I can't help but feeling like there will be no pleasing some of our support.

No point kidding ourselves, we got away with that. Terrific first half performance, 2-0 and could've been more, and Stewart had an absolute howler with that chance just after half time. A seriously bad miss, but we were playing as well as we'd played since the second half in the opening game of the season.

From then on we invited the pressure on, Dumbarton missed a sitter shortly after scoring to make it 2-1 and how he ball didn't go in at the end I've no idea. Super Dave at it again, I thought it had hit the bar.

Real positives were Callachan and our two wingers who were fantastic in the first half. Negatives were the panicking hordes in the South Stand and indeed on the pitch.

First time we've led a home game at half time this season, by the way.

Thought we deserved a point. Terrific save by Raith keeper at the death. 1st half was shambolic, changed formation and we controlled the 2nd half at times. Big Findlay looked assured, van Zanten was excellent today, Agnew & Campbell worked their socks off too.

Play as we did 2nd half and we should beat Livi next week. Nish wasn't missed today IMHO. Megginson up top 2nd half looked far better than being lost in midfield.

Even the penalties were the same, a player running parallel to the 18 yard line getting brought down.

In that context the same, but ours was a stone waller (I've seen it in slow mo) and theirs at Dumbarton was farcical..

In that context the same, but ours was a stone waller (I've seen it in slow mo) and theirs at Dumbarton was farcical..

Both were penalties. I didn't think ours at home was at first, but when I watched it back it was obvious that it was.

Both were penalties. I didn't think ours at home was at first, but when I watched it back it was obvious that it was.

Strange though, as the referee had said to grant murray that he wasn't sure at the time...

Archived