Rangers v Heart of Midlothian, 05/04/2015 (Match Rescheduled)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Manchester you blamed the police for a mob of Rangers fans kicking them down the street now it's the hearts fans fault there seems to be a theme developing here.

No i didn't and No i didn't but thanks anyway

Here's a point to ponder.

When Aberdeen and Dundee United were mopping up the trophies & doing wonders in Europe, most neutrals wished them well. Not so Rangers - no other British club (bar perhaps 1970s Leeds) has so many openly celebrating them every time they come a cropper. Whenever a side apart from Celtic beat Rangers, that side's derby rivals fans seldom hide their pleasure about it.

When Celtic got to a UEFA Cup final in recent times, most grudgingly wished them well. When Rangers did so, there was universal hope Zenit St Petersburg would tank them, and that was long before their fans caused chaos in Manchester.

Maybe, just maybe, the sheer hatred of them by other clubs is down to a century's worth of being scumbags on & off the pitch with a ludicrous sense of entitlement because they believe supporting or employment by Ibrox bestows automatic life membership to some kind of fuckwits' master race?

I would say your point had some relevance and perhaps merit if you hadn't left out the most widely hated team in England amongst fans of other teams. That being Manchester UTD. The reason they and Rangers are most hated? Success.

Look at it this way, if your not a Man Utd fan. Did you have an irrational dislike for them during the Sir Alex years? Yes? Has that hate somewhat relinquished since he left and they are now fighting to finish 3rd/4th at best? Yes? Point proven.

I wasn't at the game last night but from the videos I seen it doesn't look anything like as bad as two games i have been at in the last few years. 1st: Glasgow cup final at firhill, rangers fans (parents and kids, I took my nephew) pelted across the police divide by Celtic neds on the other. Police stood, watched and eventually tried to stand in front of the missles to act as a shield. The seats in this section were also all ripped out. The rangers neds were in another stand completely so it couldn't possibly be them. How was it reported? "Old firm fans rip up seats". 2nd game: hearts 0-3 Celtic in the game Lennon got attacked. I was in the hearts end with hospitality from work. After Lennon got attacked I witnessed hundreds of celtics fans rampage and attack stewards and police. How was it reported? It was widely ignored. My point? The media portrayal of incidents can vary greatly from the truth.

To be honest i am an armchair fan in that I will go to one or two games a season and pick and choose exciting games in Scotland and England to attend at random. I don't particularly care if the rest of the Scottish teams hate Rangers. Just don't be so shocked when that hatred is returned back in greater numbers by the bigger support. Again, I don't condone any violence and it was shocking to see missles being thrown into the hearts end in the videos. But I really really doubt random folk, especially women and kids would be attacked even by one idiot, without other fans of rangers stopping it. I just don't.

You have yet to make a single point on this thread which isn't a load of pish.

Pish/ doesn't fit your stupid, naive, stereotyping agenda? Hmmm

I'm relatively new to this forum but I genuinely didn't realise the sheer stupidity amongst other teams fans. When I go to games I park along past the asda, so I exit the same way as away fans and alongside their buses. I've yet to see anyone even say a cross word in their direction let alone attack or Brick buses. Aberdeen are the exception to this as they tend to be kept in at the end of the game so I'm already gone by the time they come out.

Honestly it's like me saying: I was in the McDonald's in Union st Aberdeen before a game and got called a weegie b*****d and a would get my c**t kicked in etc (true actually) by some daft wee neds. Then me saying all Aberdeen fans are backward farmer Neanderthals. When of course, it's a few daft wee neds you get in every support.

Awww f**k here we go. The discredited poster :rolleyes:

Nothing to worry about MT as i clearly heard Willie Miller say that the Rangers protests were all good natured and well behaved. I know how much store you put in his words of wisdom.

Just for the record. If you want to behave like an arsehole at the football you will be treated like an arsehole and don't come greeting to me looking for sympathy.

Yes, so you are saying that verbal taunts about a football team deserve to be greeted violently then?

It's funny how something can be both utterly incredible and not remotely surprising at the same time.

I am in no way condoning any violent behaviour in this post, before anyone pounces on this....

Is it any wonder Rangers fans have a "battle fever" mentality when you look at the sheer hatred of them by other clubs.

Prime example, page after page after page of debate about, in part, the match having to be abandoned due to heavy snow fall less than an hour before kick off. Accusations a plenty about deliberately turning off under soil heating due to a fear of playing Hearts or not being able to afford it blah blah absolute rubbish. Compare and contrast to Dundee Utd who are in a region where even half a dozen junior matches went ahead. Will we see the same level of speculation or ridicule? Will we hear the media or the BBC radio presenters or guests calling for an official investigation into why the game didn't go ahead? I'm highly doubtful.

It's a bit of a cliche but when your cornered you tend to come out fighting and that's what Scottish football supporters, commentators and media have done to the rangers fans for the best part of a decade. Of course this has went into overdrive in the last few years.

Think about it without the blue glasses for a second.

The question you really need to ask is not what do we expect Rangers fans to do, it's why are Rangers fans so disliked by everyone else?

I'm a Hearts fan, in general we don't get on well with Celtic but there's barely ever anything like the nonsense that happened last night. Even when we leave park head I can't remember being attacked and generally find one of them to chat about football too.

And tbf to No.8 he almost gets it right with his post yesterday. The bit about Hearts fans singing on their way past the protest I kind of agree with him. While singing a few songs is no reason for a reasonable human being to lash out, they were walking past a bunch of fired up football fans from Glasgow. Imo a stupid thing to do was to noise them up.

I would say your point had some relevance and perhaps merit if you hadn't left out the most widely hated team in England amongst fans of other teams. That being Manchester UTD. The reason they and Rangers are most hated? Success.

Look at it this way, if your not a Man Utd fan. Did you have an irrational dislike for them during the Sir Alex years? Yes? Has that hate somewhat relinquished since he left and they are now fighting to finish 3rd/4th at best? Yes? Point proven.

I wasn't at the game last night but from the videos I seen it doesn't look anything like as bad as two games i have been at in the last few years. 1st: Glasgow cup final at firhill, rangers fans (parents and kids, I took my nephew) pelted across the police divide by Celtic neds on the other. Police stood, watched and eventually tried to stand in front of the missles to act as a shield. The seats in this section were also all ripped out. The rangers neds were in another stand completely so it couldn't possibly be them. How was it reported? "Old firm fans rip up seats". 2nd game: hearts 0-3 Celtic in the game Lennon got attacked. I was in the hearts end with hospitality from work. After Lennon got attacked I witnessed hundreds of celtics fans rampage and attack stewards and police. How was it reported? It was widely ignored. My point? The media portrayal of incidents can vary greatly from the truth.

To be honest i am an armchair fan in that I will go to one or two games a season and pick and choose exciting games in Scotland and England to attend at random. I don't particularly care if the rest of the Scottish teams hate Rangers. Just don't be so shocked when that hatred is returned back in greater numbers by the bigger support. Again, I don't condone any violence and it was shocking to see missles being thrown into the hearts end in the videos. But I really really doubt random folk, especially women and kids would be attacked even by one idiot, without other fans of rangers stopping it. I just don't.

Arrant nonsense. Leaving aside the casual use of "hated", do you really believe that Man U are despised for their success? I would frankly suggest that any negative feelings towards them had much more to do with the manager's personality, his arrogance, his intimidation of officials and the media, and the practises he instilled in his players. Not to mention the myth that the man was a genius, rather than someone who lucked into nigh-on a full side graduating from the youth set-up at once, and had the leeway to make many expensive mistakes in the transfer market. He did ban the BBC for a while, so I suppose you've got that in common.

If success was the catalyst for "hatred", why did the Nation not unite in disdain for the Liverpool side of the 70s and 80s? I remember nothing less than respect for what is probably the best club side it's ever been my privilege to see.

You'll notice I gave reasons for a dislike of Man U, and there are likewise many reasons to dislike the rangers and their Sisters. As for your "point proven", do you honestly believe that negative feelings towards the rangers and their fans are lessened now they're no longer successful? I would honestly say that feelings towards them have worsened as they continue with their arrogant bullying and cheating, with nothing but two extremely expensive titles to show for it.

As for their fans, the behaviour of the "minority" is bad enough, but for those who claim to be reasonable fans to say that it is reasonable for the knuckledraggers to behave this way simply beggars belief.

I am in no way condoning any violent behaviour in this post, before anyone pounces on this....

Is it any wonder Rangers fans have a "battle fever" mentality when you look at the sheer hatred of them by other clubs.

Just in case you've failed to notice or appreciate this before, this isn't a recent development , they've been hated and despised by all other clubs for fucking decades , so please don't use that as a convenient excuse for Friday night.

Pish/ doesn't fit your stupid, naive, stereotyping agenda? Hmmm

I'm relatively new to this forum but I genuinely didn't realise the sheer stupidity amongst other teams fans. When I go to games I park along past the asda, so I exit the same way as away fans and alongside their buses. I've yet to see anyone even say a cross word in their direction let alone attack or Brick buses. Aberdeen are the exception to this as they tend to be kept in at the end of the game so I'm already gone by the time they come out.

Honestly it's like me saying: I was in the McDonald's in Union st Aberdeen before a game and got called a weegie b*****d and a would get my c**t kicked in etc (true actually) by some daft wee neds. Then me saying all Aberdeen fans are backward farmer Neanderthals. When of course, it's a few daft wee neds you get in every support.

If only it was a few daft wee neds. It wasn't.

Here's a point to ponder.

When Aberdeen and Dundee United were mopping up the trophies & doing wonders in Europe, most neutrals wished them well. Not so Rangers - no other British club (bar perhaps 1970s Leeds) has so many openly celebrating them every time they come a cropper. Whenever a side apart from Celtic beat Rangers, that side's derby rivals fans seldom hide their pleasure about it.

When Celtic got to a UEFA Cup final in recent times, most grudgingly wished them well. When Rangers did so, there was universal hope Zenit St Petersburg would tank them, and that was long before their fans caused chaos in Manchester.

Maybe, just maybe, the sheer hatred of them by other clubs is down to a century's worth of being scumbags on & off the pitch with a ludicrous sense of entitlement because they believe supporting or employment by Ibrox bestows automatic life membership to some kind of fuckwits' master race?

There will be some of that but aside from the broadly similar nature of the clubs there is the very different nature of the teams.

The Larson/O'Neill side may not have been likeable as such but, like the Laudrup/Gascoine side before them they did at least merit some grudging respect. The Rangers side that got to Manchester did so playing a particularly ugly antifootball that made them tricky to like and easy to hate.

By contrast to the Seville situation look at attitudes towards the more modern Lennon/Brown version of Celtic whose main strategy for progress seemed to be based on losing heavily on the pitch and then appealing the result on a technicality.

Indeed you did.

No other manager in the UK could've ran away with the title like Ferguson did in his last season. That was the worst United team I've seen and they won it at a canter.

He bested Arsenal's greatest team and he bested Chelsea's greatest team. He's the best manager in my lifetime. No doubt about it.

No other manager in the UK could've ran away with the title like Ferguson did in his last season. That was the worst United team I've seen and they won it at a canter.

He bested Arsenal's greatest team and he bested Chelsea's greatest team. He's the best manager in my lifetime. No doubt about it.

Worth pointing out that he succeeded in both the pre & post Bosman era where the power switched from the Clubs to the players.......the man continually evolved to suit the changing football landscape.

SAF = Genius

I'm not questioning Ferguson's managerial record, as WRK did.

The central point he was making however, is that the fact that Ferguson's a horrible, bullying shit of a man, contributed to Man United's unpopularity with other supporters.

In this, he's right.

Archived