League Vacancies

HibeeJibee

Will be interesting to see what happens now with Glasgow Uni and AM soccer Academy.

Although the latter pulled out fairly early on in the process, presumably they still harbour aspirations of moving on up. Could a move to the EOS be on the cards, who would no doubt be grateful for an additional member, especially with Easthouses leaving. Also provides a natural geographic partner of sorts for Burntisland.

Think they were supposed to apply to the EoS by the end of March, if that's where they wanted to go. Who knows if they did, but they might be a boon for the EoS over a few years.

Good on Cumbernauld Colts for getting in, but shame for Civil - particularly when they're so close on licencing and there's no need for licencing to be a pre-requisite this coming season since no club came down from the SPFL. Hope they're allowed in after the 23rd July SFA licencing committee meeting to make it up to 16.

(It now looks like Civil being invited to the LL board meeting on Monday was to be told that they weren't getting in; 2+2 does indeed, in my case, equal 5!) :blink:

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the likes of Glasgow Uni and AMSoccer will look to EOS and SOS, now or in 12 months, in order to step-up from their amateur leagues.

Civil Service and Edusport could also play their way into the Lowland League through promotion, although neither were contenders this season.

Of course there could be as many as 2 vacancies in LL in 12 months time... Equally, there could be as few as 0.

If a southerly club was relegated from SPFL2 and a northerly club promoted, that's your 16 filled-up already.

If no differential - SPFL2 club survive, or 'swap' as would've happened this season if Brora defeated Montrose - you've got the current 1 vacancy.

If a northerly club was promoted and a southerly club relegated, you've got 2 vacancies.

(Latter pair would become 0 and 1 respectively if EOS/SOS champion was promoted but LL bottom was reprieved not relegated).

Good info. Take it that means they'll be in the Scottish Cup from now on at least. No word on licencing though? Maybe a formality for them given their youth teams and stadium; wonder if they'll be waiting for the SFA meeting on 23rd July along with Civil. Would be good to see them in the LL from this season - they'd lend credibility to it given their potential fan-base and location. Hopefully they'll ditch the 'Colts' name for their senior first team though!

What potential fan base?

Agree 100 %,nobody goes to watch Clyde or Cumbernauld Utd why will this be any different?

Because they have over 600 kids playing for them and they are trying to get this up to over 1000. They will try to attract the kids and their parents along to the games and the wider community in Cumbernauld. It won't happen overnight but there is potential

Because they have over 600 kids playing for them and they are trying to get this up to over 1000. They will try to attract the kids and their parents along to the games and the wider community in Cumbernauld. It won't happen overnight but there is potential

BSC and Spartans have hordes of weans and parents involved but hardly anyone goes to watch the LL teams!

Clyde attracted very few people from Cumbernauld and Cumbernauld Utd are pretty much a fan free zone.

BSC and Spartans have hordes of weans and parents involved but hardly anyone goes to watch the LL teams!

Clyde attracted very few people from Cumbernauld and Cumbernauld Utd are pretty much a fan free zone.

And Ross County survive- and some may argue prosper- with hardly anyone watching them ( relative to their grade and budget). So what's your point? Oh I remember it has to be about how many folk go through the door, not the level of challenge that will ultimately be presented if someone earns the right to play for a place in league 2 and potentially beyond.

There are even worlds where better supported teams get relegated because the team on the pitch aren't as good as the others in the league. Ever heard of hibs or hearts and closer to home, Clydebank this year?

We got relegated because we weren`t good enough and probably have the poorest budget in the league we were in.

We don't have benefactors as we are fan owned so don't attract business types on ego trips.

It didn't stop us from being supported by a few hundred every week,thats a fanbase for the level we`re at.

Ross County average over 3,500 which is comparable this season to Partick and Inverness and higher than Hamilton. Not sure that's particularly relevant.

Clyde averaged just over 500 at Broadwood this season, that's a bit more relevant. How many will a brand new team playing at a lower level at that venue average?

We got relegated because we weren`t good enough and probably have the poorest budget in the league we were in.

We don't have benefactors as we are fan owned so don't attract business types on ego trips.

It didn't stop us from being supported by a few hundred every week,thats a fanbase for the level we`re at.

And well done to Clydebank for realising that investment has to be made off the park before success on the park can be truly celebrated. I take it the football team have to build up a fund so to be able to contribute towards any proposed new stadium that is being built in the town.

Sometimes you have to take a step backwards before going forward. The Bankies will be a good addition to the LL/ SOS when they are ready

If the existing clubs all gain a licence (and I have to say Ill be a bit sceptical if they all do), and with the addition of CC and the prospect that CSS will be in soon as well, it confirms - although there was little doubt to be honest - that no Junior club is going to get involved anytime soon.

The only way well have a true Pyramid now is if the top Junior level(s) is/are classed as Tier 5 and an overall winner is included in the HL/LL play-off, but for that to happen there needs to be the appetite for it from the SJFA, and for the SFA to agree to it, both unlikely, as is scrapping the LL for a re-think.

I cannot see juniors being given equal status with LL. If they are to come into the pyramid I think now it would be at same level as EOS and SOS. Would give 4 teams to play off for any promotion.

Cannot see juniors joining pyramid anytime soon anyway and chance of an all encompassing set has been lost.

It wasn't him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden you came down to my dressing room and you said, "Kid, this ain't your night. We're going for the price on Wilson." You remember that? "This ain't your night"! My night! I coulda taken Wilson apart! So what happens? He gets the title shot outdoors on the ballpark and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville! You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda looked out for me a little bit. You shoulda taken care of me just a little bit so I wouldn't have to take them dives for the short-end money.

I cannot see juniors being given equal status with LL. If they are to come into the pyramid I think now it would be at same level as EOS and SOS. Would give 4 teams to play off for any promotion.

The SJFA would (rightly) never agree to that, so there's the conundrum.

Since the Juniors are so good, they shouldn't have a problem starting on level 6, as they would quickly play their way through the divisions. Clearly the Lowland League and the Highland League are established as level 5 now.

Bringing in the Cumbernauld Colts was a good idea, but they should really have added a 16th team. Hopefully they will sort it out.

Given the fixtures will need to be written as if there were 16 teams then adding another club shouldn't be too difficult if they get licensed(or in the case of Linlithgow suddenly become interested in the LL) in time for the season starting.

If I was involved with any of the other teams who had expressed an interest and backed it with ground and infrastructure improvements, I'd be fucking furious at a school team getting in and a place left vacant.

They already play in the Caledonian Amateur League and have a stadium in Cumbernauld. The only team who can feel aggrieved, in my opinion, is Civil Service Strollers. Edusport Academy playing in Annan and Glasgow University playing in Airdrie are much worse options than Cumbernauld Colts playing at Broadwood.

If I was involved with any of the other teams who had expressed an interest and backed it with ground and infrastructure improvements, I'd be fucking furious at a school team getting in and a place left vacant.

You need to let go of the bitterness because the Colts are making a success of Broadwood that Clyde can only dream of.

Archived