League Vacancies

HibeeJibee

and I think that's the point as well unless they are goin to become airdire university. but it means that your team has the chance to go to the juniors or the seniors and good luck to you because we need to support growing vibrant clubs even if that means that others have had there time.

You have to wonder why Airdrie never quite made the grade as a university town, unless you have actually been there of course.

Could be a bit of a cooling off period just now while the league bodies digest/work out who's going to be playing where. There's the potential for a bit of embarrassment for the LL if their four previously unlicenced clubs remain so: do they accept a smaller league at a time when they're supposed to being increasing in depth, or do they give clubs another year to get licencing sorted out?

The LL actually have no discretion on this, for what it's worth. From 2015/16 onwards clubs must have a licence to play at the fifth tier. That's why I suspect the outcome on entry level has not been to the liking of the LL and some of the applicant and existing member clubs and there is some sort of appeal process underway.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, if Glasgow Uni are to play in LL, and to play at Airdrie, I think it will be a ridiculous decision.

I am ok with groundsharing when it is reasonably close to where you normally play.

Had it been sharing at Firhill or Scotstoun then can't see any problem with that.

On top of that my concern would be what their standard will be, at the moment they play

in the Caledonian League and at that are bottom or near to it.

Stirling Uni's 2nd XI played in this league and were comfortably in the top half, but considered

it to be a move up grade to play in the East of Scotland where they haven't done well.

A question I have for the experts on P&B, is the SFA member the same as an SFA license.

Surely at this stage teams that have failed to gain the license should be replaced, but only

by licensed teams, shouldn't be bringing unlicensed teams in on the promise they will get one.

After all everyone has known when licenses should have been in place.

Find the delay on the decisions regarding next season annoying, can only assume they are

awaiting the finish of the East of Scotland season.

Going back to the licence/member situation, Just wondering if Stirling Uni have license/member

should they not also be included in the Stirlingshire Cup competition, though the draw for 2015/16

has been made without them, so the other way to look at it, have they not got the license?

Time we had answers.

Stirling uni would need to put themselves forward for the stirlingshire cup and join the stirlingshire fa to be in it.

What Stirlingshire FA,?

How many FA's are there in Scotland ?

Seems an over complicated system up here.

I could be wrong but think you are members of the east of Scotland fa and that's why you play in the east of Scotland cup (image printers) and other eos affiliated comps.

A question I have for the experts on P&B, is the SFA member the same as an SFA license.

No, but the difference is solely a technical one as the criteria for both are now the same. At the moment existing members don't need a licence to vote at SFA AGMs or play in the Scottish Cup (although they must start in the preliminary stage) but that won't be indefinite.

Going back to the licence/member situation, Just wondering if Stirling Uni have license/member

should they not also be included in the Stirlingshire Cup competition, though the draw for 2015/16

has been made without them, so the other way to look at it, have they not got the license?

Time we had answers.

Stirling are members of the East of Scotland FA. They could be members of the Stirlingshire FA as well... Burntisland are members of the EOS & Fife FAs... but my guess is they aren't interested as most of the Stirlingshire Cup is played in July.

Officially there are 9 regional FAs covering Scotland - but in practice the march of history has divided these into 2 categories. Four or these could be termed 'super FAs' and their main duty is providing cups to clubs in the lower reaches of the pyramid: these 4 would be the North of Scotland, Aberdeenshire, Eos, and Southern Counties. Five generally provide just a single cup for SPFL clubs: these are the Forfarshire, Fife, Stirlingshire, Glasgow, and West of Scotland.

It would almost be possible to call the EOS FA the Lowland FA as so many clubs have chosen it in order to obtain the highest possible standards of competition. Gretna, East Kilbride, Stirling Uni, Burntisland are all members despite having by rights another FA more local to them. It will also be interesting to see whether BSC Glasgow choose to join the EOS FA or the Southern Counties FA, given EK went EOS.

Thanks again to HJ for explaining about the FA's.

See what you mean about the Stirlingshire cup, strange competition anyway

the final from last season being played as pre-season game for next season.

Thanks again to HJ for explaining about the FA's.

See what you mean about the Stirlingshire cup, strange competition anyway

the final from last season being played as pre-season game for next season.

Its because the games run into the season beginning and no clubs take it serious so they field a reserve side. What used to be a credible cup is now just extra development games

The decision on new teams is meant to be announced in May so surely we'll have to hear something this week.

In terms of ground sharing, Stirling University sharing with Stirling Albion seems sensible and BSC Glasgow have to share until they find another ground and at least they are still playing in Glasgow under this ground sharing agreement. The idea of Glasgow Uni playing in Airdrie is pretty ridiculous. If there had been a Lowland League and Glasgow Uni were accepted while I was at uni there then I might have gone along to some matches if they'd played in Glasgow. Not a chance anyone will go to Airdrie to watch them. I know that the university teams are never going to have a sizeable fanbase but playing in a different town seems really pointless.

University College Dublin will be playing in the Europa League next season. Their average attendances since 2000 have been:

871 - 1,085 - 783 - 306 (lower tier) - 653 - 546 - 711 - 549 - 600 - 685 - 556 - 486 - 431.

Bath almost made the Conference, and reached FA Cup R1 thrice, before their difficulties.

That said the usual experience here is for having poor supports, even by non-league standards... In some cases the ground being a long way from the campus or halls of residence is a possible factor, however by the same token Heriot-Watt and Stirling (when they were at Gannochy) were on campus, and Aberdeen Uni are right opposite their main halls and have good facilities e.g. covered stand.

The thing about Glasgow Uni playing at Airdrie is if you dont drive and want to support them its a train ride in and a 15 minute walk to the ground.

Will cost at least £12 per adult to do that and students may not be able to do that every second week never mind an away game lol

Agreed. The university of Coatbridge just pipped St. Andrews and Cambridge in last years uk league table.

Nothing beats the Freshers' Ball in the majestic surroundings of the Whifflet campus as a social gathering for well-heeled Hooray Henrys. I know some people will talk up the LL pretty much no matter what, but trying to sell the Uni teams as a positive is really taking the piss, in my opinion. There is zero chance of them developing a worthwhile following in a Scottish context and if one of them won promotion their presence would undermine the credibility of the whole SPFL structure in a lot of people's eyes. It wouldn't surprise me if the delay on announcing what has happened is because SFA officeholders have found a way to keep all three Uni teams out of licensing and it has messed up the LL's plans for next season. The SFA can add any additional requirements they see fit to any club licensing application, so if a club's face doesn't fit they can easily be excluded.

I can't see Glasgow uni getting much more than friends or family of players to travel out to airdrie.

However if that is what gets them up to licensing then so be it, I don't believe in judging teams on the number of fans are expected to support them. Especially where it's clear that the club has other funding means.

There is a requirement that clubs are licensed, should an applicant be licensed or clearly demonstrate they will be before the seasons start then they should be accepted unless there are more clubs in that position than there are places. Should that be the case then other factors can be judged such as additional off-field standards or current playing standards but not things like fan numbers or location.(as the ridiculous super duper league proposed)

There is a requirement that clubs are licensed, should an applicant be licensed or clearly demonstrate they will be before the seasons start then they should be accepted unless there are more clubs in that position than there are places. Should that be the case then other factors can be judged such as additional off-field standards or current playing standards but not things like fan numbers or location.(as the ridiculous super duper league proposed)

Agree certain eosfl clubs are at that stage just now.

Why should they spend fortunes upgrading ground and facilities and not be accepted into the LL when other clubs see the fast track option of ground sharing ?

Archived