Who has applied for SPFL membership?

ComeBackAlexStuart

From the Highland websites

January 31st – all clubs capable of becoming League Champions (based on points total &
number of games to play ) identify themselves

By March 31st- all potential League Champions apply to SPFL for membership
(clubs unable to achieve championship status need not apply)

So still a bit of time to go but if the club is capable of winning it they have to apply.

From the Highland websites

January 31st – all clubs capable of becoming League Champions (based on points total &

number of games to play ) identify themselves

By March 31st- all potential League Champions apply to SPFL for membership

(clubs unable to achieve championship status need not apply)

So still a bit of time to go but if the club is capable of winning it they have to apply.

ok, thanks. I thought the first deadline was 31st December. Do you happen to know any criteria the Clubs have to meet, other than being winners of their league?

I should have copied the next two lines.

Application - clubs will detail their ability to comply with entry requirements as per SPFL Rules
and confirm club’s willingness to comply with Rules on an on-going basis

ok, thanks again. I'll try and find out what the requirements are. As a Montrose fan, it seems we are in danger of possibly being involved in that dreaded play-off. There may not be a play-off of course, if the league winners are either not interested or don't meet all the entry requirements. This would be a life saver for any Club that finishes bottom of League 2.

It's not 100% clear whether entry level licensed clubs are actually allowed to not be interested, if they meet all the entry requirements. The ability to give it the body swerve appears to revolve around the availability or lux value of floodlights. Don't know for sure but I suspect Edinburgh City will already be compliant on that, so I'd be surprised if there isn't a playoff this season. It's more likely that the Highland League entrant won't make the grade given Wick and Clach have been reported to be the only clubs with grounds that meet SPFL standards in that regard.

It's not 100% clear whether entry level licensed clubs are actually allowed to not be interested, if they meet all the entry requirements. The ability to give it the body swerve appears to revolve around the availability or lux value of floodlights. Don't know for sure but I suspect Edinburgh City will already be compliant on that, so I'd be surprised if there isn't a playoff this season. It's more likely that the Highland League entrant won't make the grade given Wick and Clach have been reported to be the only clubs with grounds that meet SPFL standards in that regard.

Not being interested is not an option. The SPFL has the right to allow variances from their requirements or time to meet them (Annan did not have floodlights when they were admitted).

Not to mention it was widely talked about earlier in the season that Brora didn't want promotion!

Well, their lights have already hosted SPFL football: they played East Fife in R2 of the Challenge Cup, earlier this season.

Even if this 'floodlight ruse' has any substance to it you would think Brora might look at things in the longer-term... even if they pulled some 'dodge' about their floodlights this season, how would the SFA react if they turned-up 12 months later saying "oops, forgot to get those lights upgraded again, darn it!"? It'd impact on the whole northern half of the pyramid, under the current rules, as no other ambitious club can go up - or a relegated club like Elgin or Montrose return - if Brora kept winning but staying in HL.

I agree with HJ. If the scenario did arise that Brora could not be promoted as their ground was not up to scratch (remember at the moment it is only speculation) then it would bring the Highland league into disrepute.

I would assume that some form punitive action would be taken against Brora from the Highland League. I am not sure what form of punishment this would encompass but something would have to be done as the league themselves would be held accountable from the SFA.

All clubs enter both the Lowland and Highland leagues on the basis that they know what the risks are with both promotion and relegation.

Well, their lights have already hosted SPFL football: they played East Fife in R2 of the Challenge Cup, earlier this season.

Even if this 'floodlight ruse' has any substance to it you would think Brora might look at things in the longer-term... even if they pulled some 'dodge' about their floodlights this season, how would the SFA react if they turned-up 12 months later saying "oops, forgot to get those lights upgraded again, darn it!"? It'd impact on the whole northern half of the pyramid, under the current rules, as no other ambitious club can go up - or a relegated club like Elgin or Montrose return - if Brora kept winning but staying in HL.

If you were Brora and you didn't fancy it I suppose you could play an experimental team in the play off? Given that the game seems to have been relatively tight between them and city- and that they have drawn recent games in HL- it wouldn't be a huge shock if they lost out on aggregate.......albeit to an 'undergo' whoever it may be from the LL.

You mean play an under-strength XI, or throw the game...?!?!

I mean some people might be injured and others might be on holiday/at a wedding etc- it's a possibility that this could genuinely happen as reading mickeys blog, ww have at least three guys missing a week cos of that!

I should have copied the next two lines.

Application - clubs will detail their ability to comply with entry requirements as per SPFL Rules

and confirm club’s willingness to comply with Rules on an on-going basis

so that's Rangers out then

I mean some people might be injured and others might be on holiday/at a wedding etc- it's a possibility that this could genuinely happen as reading mickeys blog, ww have at least three guys missing a week cos of that!

It's the same guy holidays/best man for weddings such a popular guy he is for the welfare ;)

I would be quite funny if brora were forced to apply but tried to avoid promotion via not upgrading their floodlights, only for the spfl to grant them a waiver.

They're no the only LL/HL team like that though.?

Canny see my team ever having floodlight fitba. ??

Brora are a joke. Their chairman saying he wants then to dominate the highland league - where is the ambition and excitement in that? There isn't any. Clubs should be looking to rise up the league's and playing the big teams. It's taken far too long for a pyramid to be introduced. I love the idea that an amateur team could get to the premiership, like how it is in England.

They're no the only LL/HL team like that though.? Canny see my team ever having floodlight fitba. ??

Why not? Cost? Even with it meaning no promotion?

I think eventually floodlights will be required at tier 5, if you compare our regulations to that of England we are lenient, down there floodlights are required from what would be about tier 7 up here.

Brora are a joke. Their chairman saying he wants then to dominate the highland league - where is the ambition and excitement in that? There isn't any. Clubs should be looking to rise up the league's and playing the big teams. It's taken far too long for a pyramid to be introduced. I love the idea that an amateur team could get to the premiership, like how it is in England.

Paying £25 to sit in soulless empty stadiums like St Johnstone every week we cannae wait.

Archived