Who has applied for SPFL membership?

ComeBackAlexStuart

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a bugbear of mine but Brora and City play senior opposition every week. They are senior clubs. Our media seem oblivious to this as well, granted :(.

Apologies, I just haven't got round to thinkiing of the non-league aspirants as "senior" just yet?

Furthermore, I find some of the clubs, but not the two aforementioned, a long way away from being ready for League Two or Division Three, or whatever it is called these days. That said, I am glad there is a channel for aspirant clubs to progress, something Scottish football needed many years ago.

Furthermore, I find some of the clubs, but not the two aforementioned, a long way away from being ready for League Two or Division Three, or whatever it is called these days. That said, I am glad there is a channel for aspirant clubs to progress, something Scottish football needed many years ago.

In terms of the ground standards there is basically no difference between SPFL1&2 criteria and HL/LL criteria - just running floodlights.... However, my expectation is that some clubs who are promoted (or aspire to it) will quite possibly do works beyond the mandatory, either as they want to or feel they need to in order to better cope with increased crowds and expectations. In a way you can see this already in LL - seated stands aren't mandatory, and neither are floodlights, but in practice everyone except Vale of Leithen has invested in a stand and most have floodlights too.

I was at the game yesterday, mainly to notch up another ground and visit my first Highland League ground, and I would think some investement in the ground would be required if they were to go up as there is no terracing, and I suspect they may need more turnstiles to comply with SPFL rules? The socail club was good but lacked variety in their beers.

The standard of football was very hard to judge as the wind was horrendous, and I have NEVER been that cold at a match in May before, although there was very little between the teams on the day. Stand out for me was the Brora winger, number 11 I think? A hard fought battle in dreadful conditions leads me to give credit to both sides, but also leaves me unable to hazard a decent guess as to how either would fare against senior opposition.

As for prices - £8 in was reasonable enough, although Ediburgh City charged £5 for the corresponding game. However, £10 for a mug or £5 for a badge meant no souvenirs for me as I found the prices ridiculous for what was on offer. Most clubs charge £2 or £3 for a badge and £5 for a mug.

Zander Sutherland?

...but in practice everyone except Vale of Leithen has invested in a stand and most have floodlights too.

Not sure the uncovered seats behind the goal at Lochburn Park should really be viewed as a seated stand and it was Maryhill juniors not BSC Glasgow that put it in (along with the floodlights) a long time ago when Ronnie Macdonald was still involved with them.

Reason there'd be no coverage on BBC website I'd imagine is that they tend to take what the dreadful PA Sport give them for anything outside the top league.

I trust the media officer for the Highland / Lowland Leagues requested media coverage from PA Sport? Or perhaps not.

Attendance at Meadowbank leg was 908 - official EC figure.

Can't find Dudgeon Park leg crowd anywhere. Conceivably there isn't one - City are one of few LL clubs to issue routinely and few HL do.

Do any HL clubs publish crowds?

In LL it is very sparse. Last season Threave and Gretna did, but not this season. Whitehill do in their programme but had none when I WW v Selkirk.

Edinburgh City do in their programme. Adding the 908 from that game their 2014-15 figures are:

* overall average - 204

* league average - 108

Last season's figures were 84 and 74 respectively.

Highland League? Media officer?

The SHFL doesn't even have an official Twitter feed or Facebook page.

I was being a little facetious. But there can be no complaints about the lack of coverage if the two leagues did not go out of their way to court the coverage at PA Sport.

I saw them against Spartans a few weeks back and the crowd was fairly sparse.

Crowd of 150 for that one.

Edinburgh City are among the more poorly supported LL sides. I understand that Gala, EK, Whitehill (131 / 110 last season), Gretna (122 / 143), Threave (151 / 143) and maybe Spartans get more. On the other hand, City seem to get more than Vale, Selkirk, the Unis, Preston and probably Dalbeattie.

Archived