Who has applied for SPFL membership?

ComeBackAlexStuart

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would any Highland League side want to play in the SPL?

They have an excellent sustainable league with a host of 'derbies' why give that for the expense of trips to Berwick, Glasgow, and Annan?

Because, oh hard of understanding, when said benefactor loses interest & buggers off, it will be the same situation as Aberdeen Bon Accord, Ballingry Rovers, Gretna, Tarff Rovers did face and Celtic Nation (nee Gillford Park) are now facing - being stuck with a large number of players on contracts they haven't a hope of being able to honour nor even afford the expected compensation payment required to annul; to say nothing of any bills to outside suppliers.

In short, after the untold damage they will have done to other clubs by rigging the league, Brora Rangers will then fold - bye bye to the only sizeable local amenity the locality has as the liqudator flogs it for more holiday homes for Home Counties Hooray Henrys and Henriettas.

All this, just so some pigmy plutocrat could have his jollies. As Viscount Melbourne and Spiderman put it, with great power comes great responsibility. If you want to go play at being God, get Civilization or Football Manager or Cities... whatever. At least then others won't be left to pick up the pieces when you get bored.

You really haven't been following Brora's situation at all, have you?

You're pigeon-holing them to suit your pre-conceived prejudices about a certain kind of club ownership which you seem to be absolutely seething about. Or you're just seething at me - which is perfectly understandable.

Either way, peach of a post. :lol:

You really haven't been following Brora's situation at all, have you?

You're pigeon-holing them to suit your pre-conceived prejudices about a certain kind of club ownership which you seem to be absolutely seething about. Or you're just seething at me - which is perfectly understandable.

Either way, peach of a post. :lol:

Yes, thank you Joffrey.

"You're pigeon-holing them to suit your pre-conceived prejudices about a certain kind of club ownership"

Yes, because that "certain kind of club ownership" did another Rangers oh so well of late.

30m1xts.jpg

:whistle

Points proven! Many thanks.

What points? You make post after post across various forums with all manner of pie in the sky ideas, and the second they get taken apart with even the most basic of analysis, you jump to ad hominem attacks.

It doesn't even appear that you have any real opinions & are simply flirting from one to the next: this time last week you were all for punishing Brora for threatening to not fulfil their play off fixture, this week it's "Leave Brora alone!" Chris Crocker fashion.

Which is exactly what the new system was partly designed to stop - numskulls wanting to play Football Manager Reality Mod with a community's football club for several years to the overall detriment of the league, then getting bored & walking off leaving everyone else to pick up the pieces once it no longer swells their ego.

How would the new system stop what is happening at Brora...if indeed it needs to be stopped? If you mean by putting them off going "up", it depends on the sugar daddy. It certainly wouldn't have put off the lad at Gretna.

Every few years as happened with Kilwinning Rangers, Bellshill Athletic and Bathgate Thistle and most recently with Hurlford a junior club gets a sugar daddy and proceeds to dominate for a few years until he gets bored. It's probably only a matter of time before some obscure central belt club will be on a Gretna trajectory on that sort of basis and it's probably how the first domino will drop in terms of junior participation in the so called "pyramid". If anything, the new setup encourages this type of ownership model given the way that taking an unlikely club into the national divisions is likely to generate publicity in an ego-trip sort of way. Hopefully, the community club model will be the dominant one, but there will undoubtedly be some exceptions to that trend.

What points? You make post after post across various forums with all manner of pie in the sky ideas, and the second they get taken apart with even the most basic of analysis, you jump to ad hominem attacks.

It doesn't even appear that you have any real opinions & are simply flirting from one to the next: this time last week you were all for punishing Brora for threatening to not fulfil their play off fixture, this week it's "Leave Brora alone!" Chris Crocker fashion.

Looks like it's me that you're seething at then! If you don't like my ideas then please just ignore them (most folk do) instead of getting yourself into a lather over it.

My point above was that you have already typecast Brora as a certain type of club - despite the fact that they are evidently keen not to be over-ambitious - and you proved it by jumping straight to the Rangers comparison, as other folk have with Gretna. I understand that you don't think their ownership model is too moral, but there are a few models out there. I'm in agreement with LTL that the community model is better, but I don't grudge Brora their time at winning a trophy or two since they'll never have a hope of success any other way - they haven't the fan-base/repeat income to afford a sustained challenge, and likely never will.

Regarding my contradictions: whilst I can see why Brora are doing what they are doing, I do want the pyramid to work - even if it seems to me like a meek first effort at a pyramid. So I would support a method of passing the play-off place to the next club on sporting merit, who meet the criteria, and who apply - uncoerced. If this means a sanction of deducting the number of points from Brora (I think that's what you were referring to) that would give Turriff their shot then that is better, in my opinion, than having any doubts about the commitment of a club and their players to the play-off matches.

And your comments regarding 'ad hominem' attacks are positively hypocritical, you shitgibbon

How would the new system stop what is happening at Brora...if indeed it needs to be stopped? If you mean by putting them off going "up", it depends on the sugar daddy. It certainly wouldn't have put off the lad at Gretna.

Putting Brora off going up? Hell no, if they win the playoffs I want to see them go up - and to have to pay for the improvements required to do so resultant. At least then the locals will have something tangible from his time turning their club into his personal gang hut. The prospect of having to cough up large outlays of money off the field as much as on the field is always a powerful deterrent against the petty egotist - they don't care about the club, will resent any spending on infrastructure & avoid it wherever possible. They're only interested on spending on players, & anything else cutting into their "pocket money" will make them think twice as to whether they wish to continue their folly.

Promotion is all about ensuring clubs find their natural level for the good of the game as a whole. It is madness to allow one club severely financially doped to be allowed to sit in one league when their correct level is one or two levels above that. If that means that Mackay spits the dummy & storms off screaming "I'm not playing anymore!" when a season of SPFL3 means he finds it a lot more difficult to buy that league - so be it; and any more of his ilk considering the same will think twice before blowing their money on a similar short term ego-trip.

It would certainly be ironic, however, considering his club will have passed Montrose on the way down, a club run by a similarly medium sized business owner who once tried to "buy" the Northern Juniors annual trophy haul with the unfortunate Bon Accord, only to find matters a lot harder when he bought a bigger club to "play" with instead.

What has occured at Brora (& other such non-league clubs spending money they cannot even self-generate a fraction of) happens precisely because it is too easy for any successful medium-sized business owner to effectively buy all the trophies they covet at that level.

Whilst bad enough at the higher echelons of the game, it is downright lethal at grassroots level where most clubs are heavily reliant on gate money and fundraisers by volunteers who often don't even have their expenses met, and will swiftly drift off in disillusionment (along with the fans) rather than continue to labour in vain for their clubs when they haven't a hope in hell of success in a rigged league - especially in a singular league like the Highland.

The ground has been done up and looks a lot better now than before the money appeared. But it wasn't the owners cash that paid for that - the supporters have done it. Same as at Nairn. The owners have ploughed a fortune into the team while it was left to the support to do up the ground.

One feels a touch of sympathy for the folk who've stuck by the club and ran it during long periods of nothing, desperately trying to compete with the relative megabucks Shire sides and trying to attract players to play in a location which, for anyone south of Perth, might as well be the edge of the universe. The hangers-on will then decide that in order to keep their SFA status they'll need to get involved with yet another SHFL club.

All Brora will be left with are memories. Once/when the money stops, so will the club. The village (populated by 1200 people, I believe I am required by law to mention) was barely interested in the team and that's how it will be eventually again.

All Brora will be left with are memories. Once/when the money stops, so will the club. The village (populated by 1200 people, I believe I am required by law to mention) was barely interested in the team and that's how it will be eventually again.

:lol:

The village (populated by 1200 people, I believe I am required by law to mention) was barely interested in the team and that's how it will be eventually again.

I have this image of a sign just outside the village like the ones in all best cowboy films - "Brora, pop. 1200"...and the local undertaker has to rush out and change it every time someone dies or there's a birth. Hopefully someone with a bit of computer know-how will post one here.

Putting Brora off going up? Hell no, if they win the playoffs I want to see them go up - and to have to pay for the improvements required to do so resultant. At least then the locals will have something tangible from his time turning their club into his personal gang hut. The prospect of having to cough up large outlays of money off the field as much as on the field is always a powerful deterrent against the petty egotist - they don't care about the club, will resent any spending on infrastructure & avoid it wherever possible. They're only interested on spending on players, & anything else cutting into their "pocket money" will make them think twice as to whether they wish to continue their folly.

Promotion is all about ensuring clubs find their natural level for the good of the game as a whole. It is madness to allow one club severely financially doped to be allowed to sit in one league when their correct level is one or two levels above that. If that means that Mackay spits the dummy & storms off screaming "I'm not playing anymore!" when a season of SPFL3 means he finds it a lot more difficult to buy that league - so be it; and any more of his ilk considering the same will think twice before blowing their money on a similar short term ego-trip.

It would certainly be ironic, however, considering his club will have passed Montrose on the way down, a club run by a similarly medium sized business owner who once tried to "buy" the Northern Juniors annual trophy haul with the unfortunate Bon Accord, only to find matters a lot harder when he bought a bigger club to "play" with instead.

What has occured at Brora (& other such non-league clubs spending money they cannot even self-generate a fraction of) happens precisely because it is too easy for any successful medium-sized business owner to effectively buy all the trophies they covet at that level.

Whilst bad enough at the higher echelons of the game, it is downright lethal at grassroots level where most clubs are heavily reliant on gate money and fundraisers by volunteers who often don't even have their expenses met, and will swiftly drift off in disillusionment (along with the fans) rather than continue to labour in vain for their clubs when they haven't a hope in hell of success in a rigged league - especially in a singular league like the Highland.

All of which, I suppose, begs the question: which models of ownership are appropriate, or acceptable, for our clubs? What are you for?

If Brora, by whatever means, manage to lose to Edinburgh City, they will stay in the HFL. But if Edinburgh City then beat Montrose, is it not the case that Montrose will also drop into the HFL??

Does this not upset the Brora plan in that they now have Montrose in their league who presumably will be desperate to get back out of the HFL at the earliest opportunity.

I get that Brora are content to stay in the HFL and keep on winning but surely the idea of the pyramid is to stop the closed shop leagues from all directions and teams won't always get what they want.

If Brora, by whatever means, manage to lose to Edinburgh City, they will stay in the HFL. But if Edinburgh City then beat Montrose, is it not the case that Montrose will also drop into the HFL??

Does this not upset the Brora plan in that they now have Montrose in their league who presumably will be desperate to get back out of the HFL at the earliest opportunity.

I get that Brora are content to stay in the HFL and keep on winning but surely the idea of the pyramid is to stop the closed shop leagues from all directions and teams won't always get what they want.

Brora would be delighted to get a bit of competition that involves one lengthy trip as far as Montrose a season.

Absolutely ridiculous speculation that Brora created about entering League 2. f**k them. I hope Edinburgh City go up and show them what they are missing.

Don't need utter diddies like Brora holding back the growth and development of Scottish football.

Archived