Decent areas near Edinburgh

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leith is a great area for your average joe i would have said. Definitely a lot of decent pubs and eateries plus gym, swimming pool and cinema and plenty decent 2nd hand shops among other things. Would say you can't get better for your money in Edinburgh, Gorgie would prob be similar in terms of rent but nowhere near as nice

I was under the impression leith was full of pubs and easy whores?

This was certainly the case 20 odd years ago and there are a good few lowlifes kicking about but its a decent area with a pretty good mix i would say. Not really that many pubs there, a lot of them have closed down.

Its a lot like Glasgow

Lived in Leith for about 8 years and would say it's defo my fave part of Edinburgh - really is something for everyone..pubs, good restaurants, fantastic takeaways, excellent shops, the bants, alot of genuinely great folk..lived in Stockbridge, Morningside, Gorgie, Chesser, city centre, and Granton and nowhere else was even close for the vibes!

This was certainly the case 20 odd years ago and there are a good few lowlifes kicking about but its a decent area with a pretty good mix i would say. Not really that many pubs there, a lot of them have closed down.

Its a lot like Glasgow

To be honest I've really only been to Edinburgh for the football. Not spent anytime there boozing or shopping.

I believe it has a castle.

Depends on what you're looking for? Quietness, cost, nightlife, accessible for work. Etc. For god sake if you want a local pub DO NOT live in Barnton or Cammo! It's lovely, quiet but fucking boring!

Can't disagree with that. I'm in Cramond and it's dull as dishwater at times, then again I go into town for a drink so doesn't really bother me. Don't get out that much now, so who cares, plus it's great for running.

If I could go anywhere. I'd be heading to Stockbridge, but that's pricey as hell.

To be honest I've really only been to Edinburgh for the football. Not spent anytime there boozing or shopping.

I believe it has a castle.

A typical Glasgow attitude!!! I used to be the same being from Glasgow originally and my family are all from there but having lived in both i definitely prefer Edinburgh now.

I suppose coming to the footy isn't the best way to get to know a city and you need to spend a good bit of time here to get the vibe. i always thought it was full of stuck up folk like the stereotype suggests but you get used to the vibes and it really is a top city

I lived in Leith for seven years and it changed a bit in that time - a lotof the older, rougher, traditional pubs have shut downa dn been replaced with trendy eateries. There was a moderate outcry when the Volunteer Arms was turned into some hipster hang-out and last time I was down there I saw that the Dalmeny is now a Tapas bar. Great Junction Street is still a shithole though.

Leith is excellent but when we were looking to buy somewhere we got a three bedroom house further out the centre for the same price as a small two bedromo flat in Leith.

Morningside is full of students for obvious reasons. To be honest it depends what type of home you're looking for, cause I'd be recommending different areas for a flat, house or bungalow tbh

The pubs on GJ street are shit but still has decent shops there, few bookies and there are 2 new butchers and a fish monger that have opened that are shit hot as well. Plus there is a geezer down there near the lidl that has a burger stand and its ace

I suppose coming to the footy isn't the best way to get to know a city and you need to spend a good bit of time here to get the vibe. i always thought it was full of stuck up folk like the stereotype suggests but you get used to the vibes and it really is a top city

Hearts and Hibs are both fantastic awaydays. Hearts away probably has the best pubs of any Scottish ground - Roseburn bar before the game, then afterwards got he other way to the Diggers then the Golden Rule, then the Polwarth Tavern. Glorious.

Hearts and Hibs are both fantastic awaydays. Hearts away probably has the best pubs of any Scottish ground - Roseburn bar before the game, then afterwards got he other way to the Diggers then the Golden Rule, then the Polwarth Tavern. Glorious.

And where you go for Hibs games?

Also what fancy places are you talking about that were pubs that were shut down? Only decent pubs i can think of are Kings wark, Cameo and the Roseleaf around that area?

I lived in Leith for seven years and it changed a bit in that time - a lotof the older, rougher, traditional pubs have shut downa dn been replaced with trendy eateries. There was a moderate outcry when the Volunteer Arms was turned into some hipster hang-out and last time I was down there I saw that the Dalmeny is now a Tapas bar. Great Junction Street is still a shithole though.

Leith is excellent but when we were looking to buy somewhere we got a three bedroom house further out the centre for the same price as a small two bedromo flat in Leith.

Dont think there was much of an outcry when the Volly Arms changed ownership, it was really struggling. Serrano and Manchego on Dlamey St is pish youre right. The guy who said earlier that most of the pubs have shut down here is wrong.

All wonderful pubs. Mind you I've never done any of them for the football, it's just I work 15 minute walk from the Roseburn and 2 minutes from the others. That area of town is very decent for good pubs and is only 20 minute walk from the centre of town and Lothian Rose. Or sjc and his boat of you'd prefer!

Archived