400million Scottish government underspend

Reynard

Little is mentioned from unionists about the 1.6 billion that was sent back under a Scottish Labour Government. That was a time when they were privitizing sectors of our NHS.

Scottish labour hadn't just had a referendum campaign where their whole argument for yes was based on not enough money being spent because they didn't have all the economic levers available to them. Surely they could have used all the money for food bank food or whatever shite they said was the cause of being in the UK.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

giving children with rich parents free food is another great redistributive policy....

It's possibly easier to just give to everyone instead of fannying about with the administrative issues surrounding picking who can and who can't get free food.

Scottish labour hadn't just had a referendum campaign where their whole argument for yes was based on not enough money being spent because they didn't have all the economic levers available to them. Surely they could have used all the money for food bank food or whatever shite they said was the cause of being in the UK.

Even with something as simple as buying tins of beans and bread, there would be some procurement nightmare involved.

If Scotland had voted YES. We'd still be in the UK as things currently stand. But I doubt people like you would have known this.

Judge the health of the oil industry in 2016 (When Scotland would have became independent). I predict you'll all be going very quiet on the oil front by then.

shouldnt we judge the job losses and the pension status in 2016 as well instead of the now?

Its almost as if they were busy doing something else apart from their core jobs last year?

Only if you're naive enough to believe that it's really so simple.

It wasn't the SNP the underspent that 440 million, it was the councils. Which is a bit odd considering many of the Labour councils have been whinging non-stop about the council tax freeze and not having the funds available to them.

Yet, there they are, sending money back to the Scottish Government, knowing full well it'll be sent back to Westminster.

Why didn't the councils spend that money?

I thought you said it was a fund put in place by the SG ?

Pretty bizarre reason for supporting free meals, although I do support them myself.

Do you know how the free meals actually work? Basically, to buy a school meal you top up a swipe card (when I was there you used a machine, although I think it's all done online now) and then when you buy a meal the dinner lady swipes your card.

For people entitled to free meals the money would just be loaded on to the card for them, and no one would know.

Is this the case in primary schools? I know it's this for secondary.

half a billion worth?

Show me the last time this happened please. Thanks.

What about wee Jack McConnell who sent back £1.6b ?

What about the SNP who bray on about austerity from Westminster yet don't spend their budget? You seem remarkably untroubled about this considering you spent the best part of two years of your life whining like a little bitch about austerity only to see it imposed by your own favourites. The SNP THEMSELVES have imposed deliberate austerity on Scotland. But gimp features would prefer to talk about some Labour government from years ago as a deflection tactic. The Scottish government is absolutely awash with money it gets from westminster yet it has deliberately imposed austerity on Scots to play politics. Hasn't it? <_<

Asks question. Gets question answered. Immediately deflects by mashing fists into keyboard with "but but but SNP!!!".

Also - if you read this closely enough, you can actually *taste* the tears!

I never said the Scottish Government put that fund in place. I just find it quite stupendous that unionists are whinging about the SNP's lack of a fund, when they already know that anything the Scottish Government saves or raises, is then snatched away from them for the benefit of the UK Government.

The SNP have been campaigning for Scotlands right to be able to raise and keep funds for decades now. The unionist parties have a brass neck making an issue out of it now, considering they're the reason one doesn't currently exist.

You stated that the SG had managed to save this money?

No. They seem to be high fiving each other for NOT spending this wedge and being parsimonious. They've deliberately withheld this money that was there to be spent while whining about austerity cut being imposed from WM. What a shower of mendacious p***ks.

I wonder what poverty they could have alleviated by showering the poors with nearly half a billion sheets?

For people entitled to free meals the money would just be loaded on to the card for them, and no one would know.

Correct. I heard a few people pushing this "stigma" nonsense, without actually understanding the swipe card system.

It's possibly easier to just give to everyone instead of fannying about with the administrative issues surrounding picking who can and who can't get free food.

It's not "easier". It costs millions more.

Millions that could for example be spent on Learning for Support posts, which are being removed in schools due to lack of funding.

It's not "easier". It costs millions more.

Millions that could for example be spent on Learning for Support posts, which are being removed in schools due to lack of funding.

When schemes are means tested the cost of the overheads that are used to manage the system are often reported as being expensive. However, in this case all you're really looking for is a database (software and government, oh dear), someone to update the database (oh dear, civil/public servants are involved) and pass the information on to the contractor (oh no, one of these large unaccountable private contractors) and for the contractor to act on this information.

When schemes are means tested the cost of the overheads that are used to manage the system are often reported as being expensive.

Well, yes. But it's not a zero effect.

It is costing us around £100 million to ensure middle class families get more cash.

Meanwhile, for example, LfS posts are being axed due to lack of funding.

Well, yes. But it's not a zero effect.

It is costing us around £100 million to ensure middle class families get more cash.

Meanwhile, for example, LfS posts are being axed due to lack of funding.

As I have three small children, I obviously don't agree with cutting posts? Who wants to cut the posts and why? Is it down to local government or Scottish government?

Being one of these middle class families, I'm all for it. I never pass up a freebee. Anyway, we always have money slushing around, as noted by this thread topic. I might as well get some back.

As I have three small children, I obviously don't agree with cutting posts? Who wants to cut the posts and why? Is it down to local government or Scottish government?

Being one of these middle class families, I'm all for it. I never pass up a freebee. Anyway, we always have money slushing around, as noted by this thread topic. I might as well get some back.

Well, there are cuts across the nation, due to the squeeze, party due to the SNP's other gift to the middle classes - the Council Tax freeze.

It's why their promises on class sizes have been absolutely laughable, and why the number of teachers are actually much lower than they were in 2007. The SNP has a horrible record on Education.

I can understand why you are happy with the freebie. It's why the SNP have been popular across the board, due to their many right wing policies. It's a shame that these policies mean the most vulnerable in society are disadvantaged, but that's an acceptable cost to the SNP. As long as Mr and Mrs Suburbia get a few extra quid for the holiday in the Maldives - doesn't really matter if a local Mental Health programme gets a funding cut.

No. They seem to be high fiving each other for NOT spending this wedge and being parsimonious. They've deliberately withheld this money that was there to be spent while whining about austerity cut being imposed from WM. What a shower of mendacious p***ks.

I wonder what poverty they could have alleviated by showering the poors with nearly half a billion sheets?

I really don't see how the SNP can make all these(mostly Labour) councils spend all their money. South Ayrshire council is sitting on 40 million whilst Ayr turns to shit.

South Ayrshire council is sitting on 40 million whilst Ayr turns to shit.

Mmmm.. given your previous comments, you will be very impressed at their budget management, won't you?

Mmmm.. given your previous comments, you will be very impressed at their budget management, won't you?

Eh no. South Ayrshire council is a joke and always has been.

It's funny watching all the unionists desperate to wet their knickers at any story involving the SNP though.

Oh no. There was under-spend. Who gives a shit ?

It's been all over the news and the news,like you, conveniently forget the fact that

A: under-spends happen all the time.

And

B: the SNP have a much better record on this front than the previous administration.

It's a bit of a kick in the baws that Westminster won't allow us to keep OUR money though.

Archived