Hard Drive Clean Up

Karpaty

Basically my C drive is pretty much full to the brim.

I think the reason for this is that there is files from previous installations that are taking up many Gigs. Is there an easy way to find the biggest files by size?

I am looking to zap pretty much all of the files that I no longer use - is there a free (and safe) programme that allows me to do this? Doing it manually or transffering loads of stuff from C to D drive would take ages.

Cheers.

Treesize is a great way of seeing how much space files and folders are taking up on your drive.

Ive never done it, but seems there are a couple of ways to delete files automatically, but only based on their date. Theres no way an auto process is going to know whether or not you want to keep the file.

Command line

Application

Ive used Treesize but not the auto delete stuff, so they come with no recommendation! Its probably worth going through the files and copying those you want to keep over manually before you run anything like that. To be honest, if you've done that, it might be just as easy to format the drive and install windows/programmes again

Try C Cleaner. It will get rid of all the unneeded cache files for a start which can often add up.

Also check your web browser downloads. If you don't clear it out they files just sit there and take up a lot of space and then go to control, programmes and uninstall any software you don't use anymore but be careful not to delete any essential software, you can usually tell as the install date will be the first date the computer was switched on, ie, the earliest date.

You can buy a portable hard drive pretty cheap these days. I have two hooked up to my laptop and I use one as my main hard drive and the other as back up.

The concern would be if the auto process would delete crucial files in terms of running the machine.

Treesize is indeed excellent, just what I wanted in terms of finding the file sizes. Thanks for that.

Try C Cleaner. It will get rid of all the unneeded cache files for a start which can often add up.

Also check your web browser downloads. If you don't clear it out they files just sit there and take up a lot of space and then go to control, programmes and uninstall any software you don't use anymore but be careful not to delete any essential software, you can usually tell as the install date will be the first date the computer was switched on, ie, the earliest date.

You can buy a portable hard drive pretty cheap these days. I have two hooked up to my laptop and I use one as my main hard drive and the other as back up.

I cleaned my brower downloads yesterday - I even discovered 5.5GB sitting in the Recycle Bin!

I've had a quick look and I am just switching the odd big folders (Steam in particular) to the D drive. Should let the computer breath a little bit easier.

I cleaned my brower downloads yesterday - I even discovered 5.5GB sitting in the Recycle Bin!

I've had a quick look and I am just switching the odd big folders (Steam in particular) to the D drive. Should let the computer breath a little bit easier.

Make sure you look up how to move a steam directory and dont just copy and paste it, otherwise steam wont find it

Treesize FTW.

There used to be a cracking add-on for Windows that would let you add extra columns in Explorer to show (among other things) the total size of data in directories. Unfortunately, Microsoft changed some code around when they released Vista and didn't bother providing documentation for developers, so the guy who created it had to give up after spending ages nagging them about it. Can't think of a single reason why this isn't part of Windows anyway; it was in DOS FFS.

You might want to track down one of the file comparison apps while you're at it. No doubt there are newer and sexier ones, but I still tend to break out my old copy of Space Hound for when I need to sort through my collection of...erm...gentlemen's special interest literature. I remember finding a really good one that would compare pictures and the sound in audio files for possible duplicates, but you'll have to look for it yourself :P

Archived