Brechin vs Ian McCall's (hopefully soon to be) Super Ayr

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like there has been some sort of improvement, however with Hutton, McKinlay, McLaughlin, McGovern and Donnelly still on the park it's going to be hard.

Neill and McCracken were decent. Just need to sign some full backs, a midfield and a couple of strikers now.

Well that was cold!

We need a left back pronto to get Donald back at left mid. Crawford should be first choice centre mid, he's wasted on the right. McKinlay is clearly dreadful regardless where he's played, sadly when he was eventually replaced it was only for another waste of a shirt in Gilmour.

Centre halves were ok, thought the boy Neill was looking pretty good up until his cock up gave Brechin their second although it was a good finish to be fair. Felt sorry for Donnelly, no support at all and left to chase aimless punts for much of the game. Forrest was quiet but took his goal well.

In general thought we were dreadful first half, looked a wee bit better in the second without really creating anything but Brechin definitely deserved the win. Would like to see us getting a left back sharpish as well as someone to give us a wee bit of width on the right.

Wighton match review anyone? Our own forum tends to look here to see how he's been playing.

Very quiet game today. Couldn't really get into things. Had a few good touches in the second half but in all honesty didn't get enough service from midfield like last week.

One positive was that he commanded two markers for most of the match.

Stealing my thunder eh Harry?

Power grab is in place.....

Very quiet game today. Couldn't really get into things. Had a few good touches in the second half but in all honesty didn't get enough service from midfield like last week.

One positive was that he commanded two markers for most of the match.

Sounds decent, not a bad thing for him to be playing off scraps tbh.

Out of interest, who is Craig McCracken and how is he rated? Not noticed his name before so looked him up and found out he is only 18!

Centre half from our youth academy. Had been out on loan at Auchinleck and came in today(i think for his first start) and looked solid enough.

When we sacked Boyle last year, for the next couple of months we were actually no better under Bollan, the difference came when Bollan signed 4 or 5 of his own players and we were a (half) different team. Dunfermline have sacked Jefferies and are no better than they were either, and the fans are realising that they need new players. And sacking Roberts had no obvious impact in recent weeks for Ayr. It's the ability to spot a player that separates the good managers from the bad at this level, and that's where the 3 above failed.

McCall will probably improve slightly on Ayr's recent performances by getting them a bit more organised (although that wouldn't be hard) but I don't think there will be any major change in form until he can sign 4 or 5 players and ship out the dross. Infact a couple of defeats for Ayr under McCall might actually help them long term if it frightens the board into giving him more funds for players.

I thought today's game went exactly same as last weeks , we score early goal then dominate much of the half , then for first fifteen after break Ayr like Forfar upped their game ! But a cracking finish from Thomson seals it although to be fair an equally cracking goal from Forrest had me twitchy ! I thought Molloy came back in and was outstanding along with the tireless Jacko n a Bobby Barr ! Only wee cause for concern is amount of chances we re still passing up ?? But 12 games unbeaten am maybe bein harsh ha ha

Brechin created more in the first half but it was pretty even in the second. If we'd knicked a draw I don't think there would have been too many complaints. Ok, maybe a few.

Negatives:
• Hutton's insistence on kicking it long. I've no idea if this was what he was instructed to do but in the second half he looked to find a player so maybe the boss sorted that out.
Why do we play this way? Constantly kicking the ball long inevitably results in the opposition gaining possession, particularly with no real target man. Let's play it on the deck from the back. We may lose it occasionally but we do actually have a midfield that can pass the ball.
Even with Craig Beattie on we weren't able to hold the ball up. To be honest young Sean McKenzie did a better job last week, though I know Beattie will score given half a chance.
• McKinnon. He's not a left-sided midfield player and he spends the whole game blaming other players for his mistakes. Please punt as soon as possible.

Positives:
• Neil in defence looks a real presence. McCracken had a nervy first half but was generally more comfortable in the second.
• Robbie Crawford again looking back to the player we saw in his first season. He should be the focus of our midfield.
• Alan Forrest collecting the ball in the centre forward position, making a slight adjustment and slotting it into the bottom right hand corner from 18 yards.
Please play him here Ian McCall. He's not a winger. He should be given a free role.
• And good to see in general that McCall was adjusting things and making good substitutions.

Upwards and onwards!

Thought our defense was the strong element of the day. huffed and puffed a bit up front - not as slick as last week, expected this as when a new manager arrives at a struggling club the first thing he does is try and make them hard to beat.

Ayr had reasonable amount of possession but did little with it the goal aside.

Any one of our front 4 could have come off as (as stated earlier) never quite got going. Thomsons goal was well taken - lets hope he is not now going to be an impact player.

A win is clearly good particularly against a team with a new manager and set up in attempt not to lose goals.

Think we missed Masson and or a McAusland in midfield just to offer some creativity, Molloy and Fusco whilst doing a decent job are not in the creative mold.

I am now rambling!

Ayr never really looked like scoring the whole match until we did our old party trick of conceding late on. Must have been Ayr's only shot on target but a great finish. Looking forward to seeing super-sub Thomo's delightful top corner chip from the edge of the box again on the highlights.

Very pleasing to be in the playoff spot. Closed the gap on Forfar to only 2 points which will be key as you can only expect Dunfermline to get their act together in the latter part of the season.

Another point aside, I notice that we've scored and conceded exactly the same as Morton. They've lost eight and us only four, just the draws we've piled up making the difference. Looking promising for the rest of the season if we can keep playing like yesterday. Ayr were dreadful though it has to be said.

Archived