Sundown on Spartans

No, of course not. My point is that winning the lowland league is not, in my opinion, what we are all about. The journey in getting there is what I, as a fan of the club, enjoy. I hope it won't take five years to achieve, but if it does then so be it. I don't believe that's a reason to be taking about sacking managers or crisis, or worse team in 15 years. None of which I believe are the case.

But football is all about opinions. You are welcome to yours.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, of course not. My point is that winning the lowland league is not, in my opinion, what we are all about. The journey in getting there is what I, as a fan of the club, enjoy. I hope it won't take five years to achieve, but if it does then so be it. I don't believe that's a reason to be taking about sacking managers or crisis, or worse team in 15 years. None of which I believe are the case.

But football is all about opinions. You are welcome to yours.

I didn't see anyone talk about sacking anyone. It can't be denied this is our worst league campaign on a long long time. However we were lead to believe by the committee and I have spoken to two of them at the beginning of the season and they told me that the main aim was winning the league and having a crack at going into the senior ranks

Personally I would never rule Spartans out of anything, similarly Whitehill Welfare- it wasn't so long ago Spartans beat us in the League Cup at Ainslie Park. While Scottish Cup games are perhaps one-off affairs the Spartans can't be that bad as beating Kilby away and Clyde and Morton at home isn't too shabby. Today's result against BSC was not the best but I thought Spartans had more chances in the first half and the BSC keeper pulled off a couple of good saves. Football's a funny game and who knows? We might have lost to Ed Uni today, a team that almost held us to a draw earlier in the season.

A few bad results and Spartans are suddenly a bad team? One winnable match away from the Scottish Cup quarter finals and winning the "group of death" league cup section says differently.

For the record, I personally am not claiming spartans to be a bad team ( although some on here are). I'm merely stating that thy are going through the poorest spell of any spartans team this millennium and as such can be judged as the weakest team from the club in that era. But as you say cic they are still a good side it's just that they are being judged against some high quality sides over the last few years- Much in the way that people moan about how 'poor' the current barca team is because it isn't Peps vintage side.

My tuppence worth for what it matters eh?

For those here that have come to gloat over us not winning the League for the 2nd season on the trot enjoy your gloat but don't expect us to join in. Course we would have loved to have followed up from last season by winning it again.

Sammy's team selections like every other manager are dependent on player availability, the fact we have such a large squad, seems to be a crime by the sounds of some posters but in fact it means that we have more players injured, suspended, working, holiday, stag weekend, man flu etc.

From last seasons league winning side we've lost Whatly, Muhsin & O'Donnell. We've brought in quality replacements but they need time to bed in. Herdy was just starting to find form when he got injured, so he actually is a big loss despite what someone claimed on here. Oh & yes I know Sean & Danny went earlier this season. So no need to remind me of it, it still does not change the fact they have gone.

The fact is that in the League so far Ed City are undefeated & we aren't the Table does not lie or make excuses. The Big Cup does not lie either & we are still in it, the League Cup still as us sitting unbeaten in our section, that includes Ed City, WW & BSC Glasgow, teams we've beaten in the Cup but lost in the League, some say it's a funny old game but it's more than that it's the beautiful game. If I wanted to be a glory hunter I'd be a Celtic or Chelsea fan. I'm not a glory hunter I'm a Spartans fan & I'm glad that we are not infallible, cos then we would be truly a pain in the arse bunch of gloaters.

I hope Ed City or whoever wins the League does make the step up in to SPFL 2 because they've earned it & they'll stand a better chance of keeping their best players.

I know it's a forum & youse will carry on with the debate of Our "demise" but it is a blip that is beyond being unblipped, to be able to win the league, we are dealing with it why can't or won't youse lot? Oh yeah it's all about the gloat. I'd probably do the same if it was WW in the same boat, oh hang on it is, sorry silly me. It's just that they've got less players to be injured, suspended etc. ;)

Finally, when next seasons fixtures come out it'll still be the WW ones I'll be looking for 1st, because I'm a football fan & love these battles, oh and that we will both still be in the LL next season.

Grimbo

I honestly don't think many people on this thread were gloating I think it is one of the better debates on here. My point to clarify is that for the squad we have assembled it has been a disastrous league campaign. Regardless how well City have done we are out of contention half way through the season, I can't remember this happening ever. The cup run is amazing however the main objective was to win the league and try and get into the SPFL. Yourself and Simplistic are just making excuses not looking for why it has happened.

every team has injuries etc. however not every team has a pool of players they can pull on like ours.....why did George Hunter never get a run in the first team when we needed goals, the lad Stewart has scored nearly 20 goals for the EOS team from left mid and when he gets his chance he is played in the number 10 role?

Great point about Hunter!!

Spartans need to start using players coming through the youth system or the young players will go elsewhere.

To many average players in the LL squad and to many ex Uni connections!!

Sammy needs to deliver next season and that's coming from a few regulars who pay good money to watch the team most Saturdays..

Worst Spartans team in 10 years.....what's going wrong? on paper a very strong squad but looking like mid table finish, which for Spartans is a disgrace !!!

I have to agree pep players like cloudy thommo are well past there sell by date, I dont think it helps the team when samuel changes ths team every week to accommodate certain players

I'm getting outed by certain City fans for being a secret fan of the Spartans.

Well, admittedly I have been seen at their home games at the past and I do own a hat of theirs which I bought on a visit when it was freezing.

So oui, je suis un Blyth Spartan. I don't know if there's any other kind....

post-12982-0-15585200-1421626264.jpg

gratuitous photo of fruity bird in a Blyth strip...

I honestly don't think many people on this thread were gloating I think it is one of the better debates on here. My point to clarify is that for the squad we have assembled it has been a disastrous league campaign. Regardless how well City have done we are out of contention half way through the season, I can't remember this happening ever. The cup run is amazing however the main objective was to win the league and try and get into the SPFL. Yourself and Simplistic are just making excuses not looking for why it has happened.

every team has injuries etc. however not every team has a pool of players they can pull on like ours.....why did George Hunter never get a run in the first team when we needed goals, the lad Stewart has scored nearly 20 goals for the EOS team from left mid and when he gets his chance he is played in the number 10 role?

Simps & me are Spartans supporters, you claim not to be a gloater then call us to be excusers.

If you bother to read what our "excuses" are they are the same as you have posted. We aren't shying away we are telling everyone yes we want to win the league. Also it's not going to happen this season so be happy we agree with you. Were we differ is we accept the league is gone so we now have to accentuate the positives.

You can all play at keyboard managers but none of you ken what's going on, you make up your own scenarios about us & gloat that this is wrong that is wrong, change this, sack Sammy get rid of our most experienced players. Bring in the U20's and the EoS players. Oh and our squad is too big to keep everyone happy.

Ffs listen to yourselves apparently this is the best debate? My arse.

Grimbo

Archived