Top Albums of 2015

NotThePars

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Adams' cover album of Taylor Swift's 1989 is the album of the year for me. Absolutely unreal how good it is.

Going to give it a shot. 1989 is a horrible, vacuous, obnoxious album with ghastly sentiments, but I really like Ryan Adams (about 50% of the time) so we shall see.

I think overall it's been a pretty great year for music so far, current pick of the crop-

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

Ezra Furman - Perpetual Motion People

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I sit and think, Sometimes I just sit

Albert Hammond Jr - Momentary Masters

IAMDYNAMITE - Wasa Tusa

FFS - FFS

JEFF the Brotherhood - Wasted on the Dream

Surfer Blood - 1000 Palms

Dead Sara - Pleasure To Meet You

Been quite a few good albums released this year so likely to change again.

Going to give it a shot. 1989 is a horrible, vacuous, obnoxious album with ghastly sentiments, but I really like Ryan Adams (about 50% of the time) so we shall see.

I think 1989 has got a couple of great pop songs on it, but Ryan has completely ripped it apart and made it his own. It's an interesting listen even if you don't end up liking it. I'd say if you liked his last self-titled record then chances are you'll like this since they're pretty similar.

Listened to a couple of the tracks on YouTube and it's okay-ish. It sounds like everything else Ryan Adams has been doing for the last ten years, but because he's singing bubblegum pop lyrics over this sombre Americana music, it comes across as insincere and like he's taking the piss out of it. I don't think he's been relevant since 2005 (and even then it was because he released three albums in one year) so fair play to him for getting back on the map.

Anyway, the new Carly Rae Jepsen album is a shout for the album of the year so far. Some solid-gold bangers on it, especially Run Away With Me and When I Needed You.

Listened to a couple of the tracks on YouTube and it's okay-ish. It sounds like everything else Ryan Adams has been doing for the last ten years, but because he's singing bubblegum pop lyrics over this sombre Americana music, it comes across as insincere and like he's taking the piss out of it. I don't think he's been relevant since 2005 (and even then it was because he released three albums in one year) so fair play to him for getting back on the map.

Anyway, the new Carly Rae Jepsen album is a shout for the album of the year so far. Some solid-gold bangers on it, especially Run Away With Me and When I Needed You.

I disagree about it sounding insincere. On Out Of The Woods in particular, it sounds like it was him who had written it with the way he comes across. Agree that it sounds like a combination of everything he's done for the last 10 years though, although for me that's a good thing as I loved his self-titled album and Ashes & Fire

I do definitely agree with you about the Carly Rae Jepsen album. Absolutely cracking pop record. How Run Away With Me isn't the biggest song in the world just now I do not know.

Listened to some of the Ryan Adams covers which are ok but he always uses the same vocal rhythm as TS which makes them a bit pointless in my opinion. Musically they are quite nice if you like that kind of thing. I hope he gets on with that follow up to 1984 now though...which is the most relevant thing he's done since 2005 (and nothing like anything else he's done in the last ten years) if you haven't heard it

I disagree about it sounding insincere. On Out Of The Woods in particular, it sounds like it was him who had written it with the way he comes across. Agree that it sounds like a combination of everything he's done for the last 10 years though, although for me that's a good thing as I loved his self-titled album and Ashes & Fire

I do definitely agree with you about the Carly Rae Jepsen album. Absolutely cracking pop record. How Run Away With Me isn't the biggest song in the world just now I do not know.

When I listened to it, I thought "I'd rather be listening to Taylor Swift's 1989 and Ryan Adams' Love is Hell" rather than a mash-up of the two. I appreciate the comments about sincerity and I'm sure his heart's in the right place but that's how it came across to me.

I agree with Christophe, 1984 was pretty handy. I enjoyed that (and forgot about it when I was thinking about his back catalogue).

I have a very hard time believing that Ryan Adams genuinely does admire Taylor Swift, nor was Adams "central" to forming Swift's "songwriting", but then again he was married to a vacuous bubblegum actress/singer for a while, so maybe it is sincere. Either way I'll give it another few whirls and try to ignore the lyrics.

I agree with Christophe, 1984 was pretty handy. I enjoyed that (and forgot about it when I was thinking about his back catalogue).

While I do like most of the stuff he's done in the last 10 years, 1984 is definitely up there with some of the best stuff he's ever done.

While I do like most of the stuff he's done in the last 10 years, 1984 is definitely up there with some of the best stuff he's ever done.

I've only liked 1984 in that spell. I still love Whiskeytown, Heartbreaker, Gold, Demolition, Cold Roses, (most of) Love is Hell. Then there are some lovely bits of Jacksonville City Nights and Easy Tiger. Even 29 and Rock n Roll have songs I like. But after Easy Tiger I have struggled to maintain interest until 1984. The songs don't grab me anymore, but I'm looking forward to hearing an album along the lines of Love is Hell, which is what he has compared his next one to.

Atreyu's comeback is the second metalcore type album this year that I've really enjoyed, with While She Sleeps being the other one. Atreyu is actually going to be way up there on my list when I finally get around to posting it on here again. Got a lot more to listen to before I do that though.

Archived