Top Albums of 2015

NotThePars

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not updated in a while and I've listened to a fair bit since. New inclusions in bold.

1. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

2. FFS (Franz Ferdinand & Sparks) - FFS - Wasn't expecting this to be any good, but its an absolute cracker

3. The Lone Bellow - Then Came The Morning - Unexpectedly saw this band on Jools Holland and they blew me away. Album is phenomenal

4. Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon

5. Tallest Man On Earth - Dark Bird Is Home - By far and away his best record yet

6. Benjamin Clementine - At Least For Now

7. Little Comets - Hope Is Just A State Of Mind

8. Slaves - Are You Satisfied - Great live, transfers well on record as well

9. Brandon Flowers - The Desired Effect - Wasn't expecting this to be anywhere near as good as it actually is. Very surprised.

10. Madisen Ward & The Mama Bear - Skeleton Crew - Mother/son duo who caused a lot of buzz at SXSW this year so I checked them out. Silent Movies is an absolute tune. Well worth checking out.

I expect Tame Impala will go in there very high when that comes out. Looking forward to Sinderins' (formerly Anderson, McGinty, Webster, Ward & Fisher) album as well.

So far;

1. Florence + The Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful

2. Skinny Lister - Down On Deptford Broadway

3. The Darkness - Last Of Our Kind

4. Circa Waves - Young Chasers

Jamie XX's album is an absolute belter.

Agreed.

Just finished listening to it for the first time and it really is a peach. Up there with God Speed! You Black Emperor effort for album of the year so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie XX's album is an absolute belter.

Agreed.

Just finished listening to it for the first time and it really is a peach. Up there with God Speed! You Black Emperor effort for album of the year so far.

Just bought this today. My word is it good. One of those that you know is getting serious replay even on first run through.

Listened to the Death Cab For Cutie album which is brilliant and, surprisingly, Carly Rae Jepsen which is an absolute masterpiece in pop music. Both will probably be up there for my album of the year. Can't wait for Tame Impala in a couple of weeks.

Vince Staples' album that came out this week is quality. Easily in my top couple for the year so far.

I've also been listening to 'Before the World Was Big' by Girlpool quite a lot. I really disliked it at first as it's really sparse and whiny but it's grown on me thanks to its catchiness.

Reading all the comments im pretty sure I don't have the same music taste as you guys, had Ed Sheeran (multiply) on for about a year now and it's still my favourite album! Went to see him live in U.S. aswell and he was awesome

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

2. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

3. Sleater-Kinner - No Cities to Love

4. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit

5. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

6. Tremonti - Cauterize

7. Vince Staples - Summertime '06

8. Miguel - Wildheart

9. Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool

10. Everything Everything - Get to Heaven

Long overdue an update here! I've listened to so many new albums, most of which I actually really like. It's difficult to give away my 8-10 slots as a lot of the albums are so close in quality. My new entries are in bold as usual. I feel the quality of music in 2015 has been terrific, I'm going to struggle if even better stuff comes out later in the year.

Like I said, listened to a lot since my last update and didn't dislike any of it, a couple of albums were average but that's about it. The rest were pretty bloody good. Time to fire off a list of artists that didn't manage to get into the top 10, some of which are in other people's top 10: Snoop Dogg, Murs, Brandon Flowers, Whitesnake, Dizzy Wright, A$AP Rocky, Alesso, Florence + the Machine, Jason Derulo, Will Young, The Darkness, The Dead Daisies, Muse, FFS, Young Guns, Of Monsters and Men, Adam Lambert, Nate Ruess, Walk Off The Earth, Breaking Benjamin & Meek Mill.

Perpetual Motion People by Ezra Furman has just trumped anything I've heard so far this year. Amazing!!

Just back from seeing him and he's even better live, get your tickets for the art school in november. The guy is a brilliant performer, he was cutting about broadcast in his dress after the gig, top bloke too! :-)

Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe's collab album is excellent. 8/10. It sounds a lot like her début album but with the genius of Newcombe behind the more musical side of things. Really looking forward to the gig tomorrow.

Four Tet's Morning/Evening is fantastic too.

Archived