Top Albums of 2015

NotThePars

Quite enjoying Colleen Green's album. Fairly straightforward stuff, like a slightly grungier version of Best Coast.

Her previous album 'Sock It To Me' is better. I'm not keen on the fact she's got a full band on this one, preferred when it was her + guitar + drum machine.

The new Sonny & the Sunsets album is very good.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

1. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

2. Sleater-Kinner - No Cities to Love

3. Red - Of Beauty and Rage

4. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth

5. Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late

6. Charli XCX - Sucker

7. Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho

8. Imagine Dragons - Smoke + Mirrors

9. All We Are - All We Are

10. Big Sean - Dark Sky Paradise

Two new entries into the list. Only listened to four albums since my last update. The two not to make it were the new effort from NGHFB, thought it was quite bland tbh. The other was the joint album from Chris Brown & Tyga, rotten stuff!

Not heard 3 tracks (No Shadow In The Shade Of the Cross, Carrie & Lowell, Should've Known Better) of Sufjan's new album and they are all magic. I've not been this excited for an album for years. The songs aren't exactly difficult, experimental chords, but mostly 3-4 basic chords with magic melodies over the top of them. The Age of Adz was exellent, but if you prefer the more folk/traditional stuf then I reckon this album will appeal to those.

That sounds not bad.

Yeah, that sounds pretty decent. Wasn't sure after the first 4-5 secs of the stodgy rock, but great pop-rock.

Never heard of them. They have 279 fans on Facebook. They deserve more and I'm away to purchase this record.

Yeah, that sounds pretty decent. Wasn't sure after the first 4-5 secs of the stodgy rock, but great pop-rock.

Never heard of them. They have 279 fans on Facebook. They deserve more and I'm away to purchase this record.

I don't think you'll regret your purchase, it's a quality album. I'm surprised they don't have more Facebook likes. I first heard them on the Seattle radio station KEXP and they also did a in studio performance recently -

1. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

2. Little Comets - Hope Is Just A Sate Of Mind

3. Benjamin Clenemtine - At Least For Now

4. Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat - The Most Important Place In The World

5. Justin Townes Earle - Absent Fathers

6. Franz Nicolay - To Us, The Beautiful

7. Gaz Coombes - Matador

Think these are the only albums I've listened to released this year but the Father John Misty record is incredible.

My first post on this thread just goes to show the complete 180 I've done on repeat listens of Imagine Dragons' new stuff, and my list has benefitted from a number of repeat listens on a number of albums.

Imagine Dragons - Smoke and Mirrors
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterdays
Above and Beyond - We Are All We Need
Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep
Charli XCX - Sucker
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
Diagrams - Chromatics
Papa Roach - F.E.A.R.
Peace - Happy People
Marilyn Manson - The Pale Emperor

Still a LOT of stuff to get through.

There hasn't been much to really grab me yet this year -

The Decemberists - What a Terrible World, What a Beautiful World Couldn't disagree more with the "couple of great songs, the rest filler" assessment earlier in the thread, it might even be their most consistent album imo. The Singer Addresses His Audience is the perfect gig opener too!!

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell Not listened to this as much as I'd like to but what I've heard pleases me.

JEFF The Brotherhood - Wasted On The Dream Just got this recently and have been enjoying it, given it a good few plays already.

That's about the only albums I've enjoyed enough to put on a favourites list(Noel Gallaghers album is 'alright'), expecting it to change pretty soon though with new albums from Death Cab For Cutie, Dead Sara and IAMDYNAMITE imminent.

Got the new Decemberists and Modest Mouse records on the go. Loving them both, they're both splendid, if occasionally overblown. Still got Courtney Barnett and Inventions (which reminds me of Age of Adz period Sufjan) to get through as well. Those four will keep me going for a bit.

Not sure yet where I'd place it, but it's a wonderful album. Trying to decide if it goes above Imagine Dragons. It probably won't, since that is a genuine album of the decade shout. But it's f**king good.

Imagine Dragons' latest one is an 'album of the decade' shout and Kendrick's isn't? I must give it a listen then. To Pimp A Butterfly is absolutely outstanding and, in my opinion, it will be looked back upon in 20 years' time as a really important moment in the history of hip-hop.

Archived