Top Albums of 2015

NotThePars

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After listening to her first album, I'm very much looking forward to that too. Fantastic stuff.

I've been listening to The Fall, Nas and her a lot recently and miraculously this song is like a cross between all three. Hopefully this album's her big break, playing in Glasgow in April too apparently.

I've been listening to The Fall, Nas and her a lot recently and miraculously this song is like a cross between all three. Hopefully this album's her big break, playing in Glasgow in April too apparently.

Saw her live at a festival in the US last year.

She's left handed. That's really all I remember about her. Pretty generic stuff but it was only 40 minutes and she was on before Lykke Li, which was perhaps unfair.

Diagrams - Chromatics is the only one that has wowed me so far this year. Papa Roach's effort was pretty good though, which surprised me. They're usually reliable for a nothing more than decent effort. Belle and Sebastian was horribly disappointing for me. Still got a LOAD to get through. Gaz Coombes next.

I've got mates raving about the new Napalm Death album. I listened to the first couple of tracks and I can honestly say I despise it. Painful to listen to. Don't get me wrong, I love rock music and certain types of metal but that was too much, the vocalist didn't even sound like a human. Fair play to anyone that can put up with that kind of music.

Okay here we go! Not doing a massive list like I did last year, unless people are interested in what I've listened to. (unlikely)

1. Sleater-Kinner - No Cities to Love

2. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth

3. Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho

4. All We Are - All We Are

5. Mark Ronson - Uptown Special

6. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass

7. Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show

It's a good start but I don't think much of the list so far will last. Loved the Sleater-Kinney recommendation, keep them coming as I get a good bit of my music from here! Will be checking out Father John Misty soon.

Ya Bezzer's 2015 Albums

1. The Living Eyes - Living Large (7/10) Punky shenanigans from young Australian garage group. Quite a bit of The Saints, The Ramones and early The Damned in there as well as more modern influences like The Hives or Black Lips, and a smattering of psychedelia. Nothing earth shatteringly original but it has the winning formula of having more good musical ideas than most without really taking itself too seriously. A whole bunch of noisy, mostly fast paced, fun.

2. Belle & Sebastian - Girls In Wartime Want To Dance (6/10) Has won me round slightly after repeated listening but even so the albums peters out after the first 4 tracks, with diminishing quality in songwriting and longer track run times which make listening to the second half of the album something of an ordeal. Has been talked up as a dance album which is slightly misleading as the maligned second half of the album is a bit of a mish mash of styles. The first half though is semi interesting.

3. Wild Billy Childish & the CTMF - Acorn Man (not yet rated)

4. Viet Cong - Viet Cong (not yet rated).

I have something of a beginning of a list at the minute.

Imagine Dragons - Smoke and Mirrors
Above and Beyond - We Are All We Need
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
Diagrams - Chromatics
Papa Roach - F.E.A.R.
Peace - Happy People
Fall Out Boy - American Beauty//American Psycho

Imagine Dragons is a bit of a runaway at the start, while Fall Out Boy is merely there to make up the numbers as I didn't completely hate it.

1. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

2. Sleater-Kinner - No Cities to Love

3. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth

4. Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late

5. Charli XCX - Sucker

6. Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho

7. Imagine Dragons - Smoke + Mirrors

8. All We Are - All We Are

9. Mark Ronson - Uptown Special

10. Natalie Prass - Natalie Prass

• New entries in bold of course. Another one of the albums I've stolen from P&B has crept into the number one slot, brilliant stuff.
  • As for Drake.... His mixtape/album is pretty good, a couple of the songs are annoying but on the whole it's solid.
  • I know the Charli XCX album has been around since the end of 2014 but it's only just been released here so it'll be in my 2015 list (for now). It's simply a really solid pop album with several catchy tunes.
  • I wasn't sure at first with the new effort from Imagine Dragons but I've listened to the album 2 or 3 times now and it's starting to grow on me, it's certainly something different.

Albums not to make the cut in this update: The new Ne-Yo album and the Kodaline one too. Wasn't particularly impressed by either, pretty meh.

New Duke Garwood's pretty good. Kinda scorched-earth blues; any mark lanegan fans should find lots to like.

Been looking for new stuff to listen to, and have tried lots of the bands recommended on here. Finally found one I liked :thumsup2

Thanks.

SoKo's new album My Dreams Dictate my Reality is great. My favourite album of the year. Not as good as I Thought I Was an Alien but I don't think she'll ever top that.

Archived