Hibernian v Falkirk

The referee conferred with his assistant in order to arrive at what you accept to be a correct decision, yet you somehow cry foul.Are you serious?

If you had heard the Falkirk fan on sport sound last night you would understand you are fighting a losing battle.

He originally argued that Baird 100% did not touch the ball which I think anyone with eyes can see he did. He then argued for a good minute with Tom English that Hibs had restarted the game when about 10 different people had emailed in to say the game was not restarted but he knew the score. All this in the middle of a rant saying Falkirk had been blatantly cheated blah blah mumble trying to string a proper sentence before I think trying to tell Tam if he wasn't there he couldn't comment.

Total heid gone.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The decision was correct but the length of time it took the two officials to make it is a bit of a joke.

I can understand that feeling.

Having a goal disallowed is a scunner at the best of times. Having it disallowed after it appeared to be standing (after you've done that initial glance at the ref thing. Btw, does everyone else instinctively do that for every goal, regardless of whether it looks contentious or not?) is much worse.

Given the circumstances though, I can understand why some time was needed. As you say, the right decision was reached, which is surely the important bit, in terms of the officials doing their jobs.

The objections just sound like the moans of disappointed children who need to find an outlet for their impotent annoyance.

It was about the same standard as Falkirk TV. Would you pay for that?

Just watched the interviews post match. You would think it was Ibrox, no lights on. The interviewees are just outlines in the dark! Bizarre

Having it disallowed after it appeared to be standing (after you've done that initial glance at the ref thing. Btw, does everyone else instinctively do that for every goal, regardless of whether it looks contentious or not?)

Yes. Have done ever since celebrating the "goal" at the 1997 Cup Final. I'm now the guy pointing at the linesman when everyone else is celebrating.

If you had heard the Falkirk fan on sport sound last night you would understand you are fighting a losing battle.

That's quite an interesting take on things, the topic has been discussed on here fairly reasonably but let's ignore that and generalise based on the sort of dafty that not only listens to, but also phones into, Sportsound.

Yes. Have done ever since celebrating the "goal" at the 1997 Cup Final. I'm now the guy pointing at the linesman when everyone else is celebrating.

I assume most folk do it 'cause we'll all have been caught out at sometime. That particular one took quite some time to sink in ... by the time I realised I was about three rows further back and about 10 seats further along :(

Let's spare a moment to reflect on how the Dunfermline fans would have felt after celebrating a 'goal' at Brockville only for it to be disallowed and then for Nealle Cooper to be sent-off ... they must've been absolutely gutted ^_^

Just watched the interviews post match. You would think it was Ibrox, no lights on. The interviewees are just outlines in the dark! Bizarre

Away games we have to go where we are told. At Easter Road we are not allowed pitch side so had to make do with the only space in the corridor outside the press room that wasn't noisy or blocking a doorway.

Could be very wrong here but would the protocol not be for the lines woman to raise the flag if she had doubts then consult with the referee?

That's what usually happens, but I'd be surprised if there's a set routine for such things which must be observed. I think the ref is at liberty to instigate discussion with an assistant whenever he likes.

Stop trying to claim the officials were somehow wrong, in getting it right.

It makes you sound bonkers.

Also worth noting Baird's interview after the match. He said Collum came up to him after the goal and asked if it was him who got the touch. Realising he might have been offside he said no, smart move. Collum then tricks him, saying that it was just so he could record the goalscorer in his match book. Baird then says it was him who scored, Collum runs over to Lorraine and offside is given. Pure bants from willie

It sounds a lot like what happened in a televised cup tie between Dundee and Killie a couple of years ago. Then, a Dundee goal initially stood, as an official had failed to notice a flick on, or had thought the touch was off a defender. After conferring, the ref and assistant sorted out what had happened and reached the appropriate verdict. This prompted Craig Paterson in commentary to go daft in a bout of cringey, chronic misunderstanding.

As in this case, the delay in deciding creates an impression of bumbling incompetence, but it's really not the case.

I was at that game and it was definitely a very similar incident. It was fucking fantastic to watch the Derry being interrupted mid-twirly.

Nope watch it again. Baird always try to play right on the shoulder of the last man, his problem is he's not blessed with pace and probably a brain based on some of his interviews so he tends to drift into offside positions. You'll have to get used to it.
Also worth noting Baird's interview after the match. He said Collum came up to him after the goal and asked if it was him who got the touch. Realising he might have been offside he said no, smart move. Collum then tricks him, saying that it was just so he could record the goalscorer in his match book. Baird then says it was him who scored, Collum runs over to Lorraine and offside is given. Pure bants from willie
Well I did say about Baird and interviews.

Based on the highlights, it seems fairly clear to me what has happened with the officials. The assistant didn't see the flick on through the pack of bodies, so she didn't raise her flag because Baird was onside from the original free-kick. The referee can clearly see the flick on, and was probably expecting a flag to go up, so at some point he has asked the assistant (possibly via their headset) whether she was aware of the flick on. After he goes across to communicate with her, they've discussed the incident and come to the correct decision. An example of very good refereeing.

Agreed. As you'd expect from one of UEFA's top refs.

No, just Collum being Collum. He makes stuff up as he goes along, and always has. As mentioned above, if she didn't see the flick, then she could not possibly say if Baird was offside or not at the time of the flick (that she didn't see). Equally, Collum couldn't say either, and was therefore engineering an outcome that he thought to be the right one without having the evidence to back it up.

Ultimately, it was indeed offside, but Collum engineered that decision.

Last season at Alloa, he gave a foul to Alloa. The Alloa player left the field for treatment, but Collum faffed around and held the game up until the Alloa player returned to the pitch. Very worthy stuff, but not permitted in the laws of the game, and it was just another typical examples of Collum's (well meaning) but ultimately baffling reinterpretation of the rules to suit whatever outcome he is looking for at any given moment. He ain't a bad guy, he is just a bad referee.

Pea-brain found.

The referee conferred with his assistant in order to arrive at what you accept to be a correct decision, yet you somehow cry foul. Are you serious?

I think he is. He's a beneficiary of of P&B's diversity policy.

Nope watch it again. Baird always try to play right on the shoulder of the last man, his problem is he's not blessed with pace and probably a brain based on some of his interviews so he tends to drift into offside positions. You'll have to get used to it.

I think he will score next week...

Lineslass should've raised flag if in any doubt to discuss matter with ref, this wouldn't have caused the ridicule that went on after. I've seen similar scenario so many times and once they discussed info, the ref can make the correct decision.

The aftermath even sounds white stick material. One thing though, it was £22 well spent....not very often you can say that

I think he will score next week...

Lineslass should've raised flag if in any doubt to discuss matter with ref, this wouldn't have caused the ridicule that went on after. I've seen similar scenario so many times and once they discussed info, the ref can make the correct decision.

The aftermath even sounds white stick material. One thing though, it was £22 well spent....not very often you can say that

You may well be right about him scoring and it wouldn't surprise me but will it be enough to win the game?

I also expect him to put on a really good performance which will just go to show how unprofessional he was while at Queens as he generally didn't look as though he could be bothered, Livi away being a prime example.

Archived