Ian McCall Ayr United Manager

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have much rather had McCall as manager last summer than Jim Duffy. I reckon that's going to be a good appointment for Ayr.

Not saying this as a criticism of McCall, but I'd rather have had cholera than have Jim Duffy as Morton manager so that's not saying much.

Your first signing will be John Henry. I wonder if he'll persist with 3-5-2 or if he has moved on from it. Wasn't the best of managers for us. At times the football was dire, but then, we had some dire players (some of the worst ones being the ones he brought in). I think he'll do a decent enough job at Ayr though and there is far worse out there. A p***k of a man, but a p***k I will always be thankful of. Firstly, keeping us in Division 1. I dread to think where we'd be today had we went down that year. Secondly, bringing the best player to have graced the pitch of Palmerston in decades; Stephen Dobbie. He must be a decent man manager I imagine. He completely transformed Dobbs and I can remember Willie Gibson screwing the nut as well; resulting in a move to a higher division as well.

Fantastic appointment who will still have good contacts. I wonder if he can convince Aaron Muirhead and John Baird to sign. Both released by their clubs this week!!!

Muirhead has signed for Falkirk as far as I am aware. Baird won't drop down unless he gets the same he was getting at QoS. He's rumoured to be going to Falkirk as well anyway.

I really wanted Lennon but certainly think this will turn out to be a good appointment for us. This group of players proved they can play a bit at the start of the season before utterly collapsing.

Fingers crossed we can start flying up the table.

If he was quite the Arrigo Sacchi figure made out on here then he wouldn't have spent years out of the game and only picked up by the country's worst full-time side.

Still probably an improvement on Roberts though.

None of the candidates thrilled me to be honest, but McCall hasn't failed at a lower level, Jeffries has (quite recently) Stark hasn't been great in his short spells at club management and Calderwood hasn't been at this level

Underwhelmed but not disappointed

The fact he's damaged goods is endearing to me. This is a far more exciting appointment than a turgid attempt at another potentially got potential guy. A few results go for him and I can see a wee swell of interest start to pulse through the apathy.

Archived