Ian McCall Ayr United Manager

That tactic got us to within 7 mins of a penalty shoot out in the semi of the league cup under Reid to be fair.

As for McCall, I'm very happy with this appointment, more so than any other appointment in the last few years anyway. As folk have said, all that matters this season is that we stay up, and take it from there.

Unlikely as it looks at the moment, it would be ideal if Morton and Dunfermline could both go up this season as well, meaning 2 of the 'big' clubs were out of the picture when it comes to looking at next season

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, 'unlikely' was a wee understatement. Can't help but worry that a Morton that stays down this season, bins Duffy and replaces him with someone half decent would be a good ahout for the title next year!

Your first signing will be John Henry. I wonder if he'll persist with 3-5-2 or if he has moved on from it. Wasn't the best of managers for us. At times the football was dire, but then, we had some dire players (some of the worst ones being the ones he brought in). I think he'll do a decent enough job at Ayr though and there is far worse out there. A p***k of a man, but a p***k I will always be thankful of. Firstly, keeping us in Division 1. I dread to think where we'd be today had we went down that year. Secondly, bringing the best player to have graced the pitch of Palmerston in decades; Stephen Dobbie. He must be a decent man manager I imagine. He completely transformed Dobbs and I can remember Willie Gibson screwing the nut as well; resulting in a move to a higher division as well.

Good guess or this man has contacts... has now been confirmed on the official site that we have appointed John Henry as assistant manager.

I wasn't overly enamoured by the appointment of our new manager when it was announced last night but the more I read the more excited I get!!

Anyone know what's happening with Millen and White?

Millen is gone, not sure about White, he has a job with the academy (i think) so probably kicking about there still

Good luck to Ian McCall and John Henry in taking over at Ayr. Heard there's a lot of rumblings going on in the Academy and there could be changes there as well. Believe there are a couple of ex-pros recently joined the Academy as well as a few highly rated coaches put in place. Be interesting to see how that develops.

John Henry revealed as assistant on club website. Worked alongside McCall at Partick and Owen Coyle at Bolton.

An excellent addition.

That's a strong foundation built with these two in place. Indications better times are ahead for Ayr are increased further.

He's on Radio Scotland Sports Sound between now and 7. They're talking about Rangers so they'll stick the interview on at about 6.55pm ;)

I was going to put some snidey comments alluding to some of his issues that led him to leaving Firhill but it seems he's got his life back on track and I hope and believe he'll do a good job at Somerset Park.

If he can bring in a few decent players I can see Ayr getting clear of the relegation zone for a mid-table spot over the coming months.

Still like's a 'punt' and a jobby from time to time also still owns and wears a Partick Thistle training top with his initials on it !!

Ayrdelighted - The Academy is very very close to putting the final piece of the jigsaw in place to secure Elite " 4 star " status for next season which will mean the young lads in Ayr's system playing Rangers , Celtic , Dundee Utd , Aberdeen , Hearts , Hibs , Killie , St Mirren , Fife Elite Academy , Forth Valley Elite Academy , Hamilton etc week in week out .

This is a fantastic achievement by all at the Academy , ably led by Davie White as HOYD.

I have experience of a few Head of Youth Developments over the years and Ayr's system benefits greatly from a HOYD who is actually approachable and will speak openly and honestly to parents. This does not happen at all Clubs.

You are correct about some really good appointments to the coaching team recently , Rab Reilly & Tommy Tait certainly helping Head Coach Stevie McCreadie out at 17s Level with a squad of boys that is showing great promise.

Archived