The Relegation

HibeeJibee

With a 'The Title' thread, I suppose we should have one for potential relegation too.

By no means certain to be on the cards, of course.

But with the likes of Civil Service, Newton Stewart and St Cuthbert in the chase in their respective leagues, a licensed champion could turn-up.

Actual table:

12 Edin Uni P18 17pts, -12

13 Preston P17 10pts, -20

==============================

14 Threave P18 9pts, -36

So - who might be going down? Has it already become a 2-way fight?

Even if we get one from the East or South leagues coming up I can't see anybody going down. We still need 16 licensed clubs next season and they are very thin on the ground.

My question is what is going to happen to the current Lowland League clubs who will not get their licence in time for next season? The three clubs at the bottom all have theirs so, in my opinion, they will be safe from relegation. Perhaps the bottom club will just need to go the process of reapplying.

And their schedules:

Edinburgh University

Sat 10 Jan - Dalbeattie (A)

Wed 14 Jan - Stirling (H)

Sat 17 Jan - Edin City (H)

Sat 24 Jan - Spartans (A)

Sat 28 Feb - Selkirk (H)

Sun 22 Mar - Threave (A)

Sat 11 Apr - Whitehill (H)

Sat 18 Apr - East Kilbride (A)

Preston Athletic

Wed 7 Jan - Edin City (A)

Sat 10 Jan - East Kilbride (A)

Sat 24 Jan - BSC Glasgow (H)

Sat 07 Feb - Stirling (H)

Sat 21 Feb - Spartans (H)

Sat 28 Feb - Whitehill (H)

Sat 21 Mar - Vale of Leithen (A)

Sat 11 Apr - Selkirk (H)

Sat 18 Apr - Dalbeattie (A)

Threave Rovers

Sun 11 Jan - Stirling (A)

Sat 17 Jan - East Kilbride (H)

Sat 07 Feb - Vale of Leithen (A)

Sat 28 Feb - Gala (A)

Sun 22 Mar - Edin Uni (H)

Sat 11 Apr - BSC Glasgow (H)

Sat 18 Apr - Spartans (A)

no date yet for Whitehill (A)

Even if we get one from the East or South leagues coming up I can't see anybody going down. We still need 16 licensed clubs next season and they are very thin on the ground.

My question is what is going to happen to the current Lowland League clubs who will not get their licence in time for next season? The three clubs at the bottom all have theirs so, in my opinion, they will be safe from relegation. Perhaps the bottom club will just need to go the process of reapplying.

Fair points. But then again as the Preston manager noted when he took-over, they can't rely on that.

And if HL champion went up, someone like Annan/East Stirlingshire came down, and EOS or SOS champions were ascending, that's 15 in LL.

It's a relegation race, IMO, but not (quite) as we know it...

Easy enough to read the LL constituition to see if there are any caveats where the bottom team entering a relegation playoff is concerned. If somebody cuts and pastes it here we will soon be able to work out if it could conceivably apply this season.

At tier 5 the LL should have a publicly available consititution, it shouldn't be that hard to have it loaded online.

To my knowledge I believe the most northerly team ie East Stirling or Stirling Uni would go into HL as HL / LL would move as it does in England.

When Workington Reds were in Conference North they travelled as far as Oxford

That's not what will happen: on HL website it explains there is a set line of latitude (equivalent to the River Tay).

If, for example, Elgin go down and Edinburgh City go up then HL grows from 18 to 19 - perhaps they'd take in Banks o'Dee, and go 20 or 10-10.

East Stirling down and Brora up means 1 fewer vacancy in LL.

That's not what will happen: on HL website it explains there is a set line of latitude (equivalent to the River Tay).

If, for example, Elgin go down and Edinburgh City go up then HL grows from 18 to 19 - perhaps they'd take in Banks o'Dee, and go 20 or 10-10.

East Stirling down and Brora up means 1 fewer vacancy in LL.

Totally agree however if over the next 5 years a HL team gains promotion at the expense of Annan, Clyde etc the border will have to be moved

Possibly, but the odds of 5 HL going up and 5 current south-of-the-Tay SPFL2 coming down must be remote.

Furthermore, LL has the ability to 'vent' clubs to EOSL/SOSL to keep at a steady 16, and of course it isn't even at 16 yet anyway.

But you're correct, nothing is set in stone forever.

Archived