Squad age

Was discussing this recently, given we seem to have a decent number of youngsters turning out every week. I did the sums based on yesterday's team (ie the ones who were on the park at some stage, not the unused subs), and came up with an average age of 24.5. (I didn't bother with months/days). I'm curious how this compares with other teams, but it took me long enough to work out Queens ages without going through the whole division or the rest of Scottish football.

I was suprised our youngest player yesterday was Kidd (19), I always imagined he was older. Carmichael is now 24, so that's not strictly 'young' any more.

Also, Iain Russell is 32, only Lyle is older, this pushes the average age up a bit.

Against Alloa, with Dowie and Higgins out (suspension and ill), our back 5 averaged 20.6! Though Fowler said afterwards it was lack of experience that counted against us that game.

I would guess that Hearts and Falkirk have 'young teams', but I suspect all the teams probably average in the mid 20s, combining youth and experience.

There's maybe a website out there devoted to useless statistics like this but I haven't come across it.

Our starting 11 and subs on Saturday

MacDonald (28) Sub: Bowman (22)

Duffie (22)

McCracken (33)

Grant (20)

Leahy (22)

Vaulks (21)

Sibbald (19)

Taiwo (24) Sub: Shepherd (18)

Alston (22)

Loy (26)

Biabi (18) Sub:Kerr (32)

Average: 23.36 years old

Given we didn't have Kerr until yesterday, our average for most games this season has been 22.64

Think your addition is out it is only just over 22 with the 14 players that were used yesterday.

Atkinson 19, Carmichael 24, Clark 22, Dowie 31, Durnan 22, Dzierzawski 23, Higgins 29, Holt 21, Kidd 19, Lyle 33, McShane 22, Paton 25, Reilly 21, Russell 32, total 343, divide by 14 = 24.5?

As two of of you have said I'm wrong, I may be mistaken but must confess I'm not sure where?

Atkinson 19, Carmichael 24, Clark 22, Dowie 31, Durnan 22, Dzierzawski 23, Higgins 29, Holt 21, Kidd 19, Lyle 33, McShane 22, Paton 25, Reilly 21, Russell 32, total 343, divide by 14 = 24.5?

As two of of you have said I'm wrong, I may be mistaken but must confess I'm not sure where?

I think you're correct.

I agree. Your calculation is correct. In fact Atkinson turns 20 on Tuesday and Kidd and Holt also have birthdays this month (and Lyle in February) so in reality the number is a little higher.

So Hibs' starting XI had an average age less than the great Hearts' youth machine. Interesting.

Edit: ours from Saturday was 24.18 before subs and 23:06 including every player who took the field. It will be much lower this weekend when 29 year old Iain Campbell is dropped - phew.

So Hibs' starting XI had an average age less than the great Hearts' youth machine. Interesting.

Edit: ours from Saturday was 24.18 before subs and 23:06 including every player who took the field. It will be much lower this weekend when 29 year old Iain Campbell is dropped - phew.

^^^ Idiot found.

It'd be more interesting if the boy hadn't got half the ages wrong.

Gray, Robertson, Malonga, Stevenson and Allan are all older than he said, at a minimum. . Stevenson is 24 in the same way I'm Brad Pitt.

^^^ idiot found.

Given we have a 36 year old keeper, did it not occur to you that it would maybe, you know, bump up our average?

Our outfield average is younger. Not that it actually matters though as the difference is akin to two bald men scrapping over a comb.

Unlucky, champ.

Given we have a 36 year old keeper, did it not occur to you that it would maybe, you know, bump up our average?

Our outfield average is younger. Not that it actually matters though as the difference is akin to two bald men scrapping over a comb.

Unlucky, champ.

:lol: why do you give a toss? Does having a younger team make you better? Strange man.

Archived