Hibs offer Ched Evans a contract

~~~

It does call into question the whole Crime, Punishment & Rehabilitation discussion.

I am aware that Evans had never apologised to his victim for his action (until his "round the houses" one today) but in leu of his appeal that shouldn't surprise anyone really.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he could have said what he said today a long time ago. Apologise for the distress caused, especially to the victim, without admitting any guilt.

Compassion and humility don't seem to be his strong points though.

It does call into question the whole Crime, Punishment & Rehabilitation discussion.

I am aware that Evans had never apologised to his victim for his action (until his "round the houses" one today) but in leu of his appeal that shouldn't surprise anyone really.

It certainly does and that's where my interest is, not particularly in Evans. I don't remember Luke McCormick or Lee Hughes being subject to the same scrutiny, certainly not to this degree. They killed people, albeit accidentally, but recklessly. Did any sponsors or prominent supporters bale. Marlon King even gets a game and he's in and out the jail on a regular basis for wife beating among other things.

Neither is he legally barred from playing football. I doubt the sponsorship has a clause saying don't sign rapists.

I've said before I couldn't care less, but the "anti" arguments don't stand up. It is all from a moral point of view, which is a perfectly permissable position to hold, but I'm not sure you can impose that belief on others as there is no legal basis to do so,

I'm pretty certain there'll be a clause about bringing the sponsor into disrepute. I don't think anyone would deny that being associated with a club who signs rapists brings the sponsor into disrepute.

Don't get me wrong - I think the sponsors are loving this. They're getting a huge amount of free publicity and looking like they're doing the honourable thing at the same time. And they're saving money on the withdrawn sponsorship.

The whole thing is a moral argument - and should remain that way. The idea that there should be legislation introduced is just a minefield. The clubs are free to sign a convicted criminal - but they will have to endure the pressure that comes along with that. Yes there is no consistency here - but each case has to be examined on its own merit. There are simply too many intricate details to have hard and fast rules (which some folk seem to be calling for - what about X, Y and Z - they did bad things and are getting to play).

I'm pretty certain there'll be a clause about bringing the sponsor into disrepute. I don't think anyone would deny that being associated with a club who signs rapists brings the sponsor into disrepute.

Don't get me wrong - I think the sponsors are loving this. They're getting a huge amount of free publicity and looking like they're doing the honourable thing at the same time. And they're saving money on the withdrawn sponsorship.

The whole thing is a moral argument - and should remain that way. The idea that there should be legislation introduced is just a minefield. The clubs are free to sign a convicted criminal - but they will have to endure the pressure that comes along with that. Yes there is no consistency here - but each case has to be examined on its own merit. There are simply too many intricate details to have hard and fast rules (which some folk seem to be calling for - what about X, Y and Z - they did bad things and are getting to play).

The hard and fast rules already exist ie Parole, employment law, disclosure, child protection etc etc.

It certainly does and that's where my interest is, not particularly in Evans. I don't remember Luke McCormick or Lee Hughes being subject to the same scrutiny, certainly not to this degree. They killed people, albeit accidentally, but recklessly. Did any sponsors or prominent supporters bale. Marlon King even gets a game and he's in and out the jail on a regular basis for wife beating among other things.

I wonder if Evans wins his appeal whether he'll be able to sue the Sponsors of Oldham for loss of earnings?

The hard and fast rules already exist ie Parole, employment law, disclosure, child protection etc etc.

Absolutely - there are some jobs that a convicted criminal and specifically a convicted sex offender should be barred from as part of their punishment.

Professional footballer isn't one of them. There are numerous convicted criminals, and some sex offenders, in football. Graham Rix was imprisoned for indecent assault and underage sex but walked straight back into his job and went on to work at several other clubs.

That's what I was getting at earlier. It might be an expensive process though and by then he'd be better getting his head down.

Thats what started off this thing in the first place......

Are you alluding to Jessica Ennis?

actually no, although her reaction (if evans is found innocent by appeal) might have seemed a bit over dramatic, she'd still have a point as even if innocent, what evans did was degrading, highly disgusting and extremely questionable

others though like the various sponsors etc that have threatened each and every club he's been linked with, you have to believe that a bit of their current outrage is based on the "free publicity" it is generating for them

The counter-argument to that, which has been made countless times, is that some (including myself) feel that he shouldn't have the privilege of being a football player, on a moral front. He is still serving for rape, and the life of a footballer in the UK is a privileged one, and one that he shouldn't have.

There are plenty of good arguments for not wanting him at your club, but for me this isn't one of them. Stuff about it being a "priveliged job" is complete nonsense - it's a high profile job, but footballers don't have any responsibility within society and are basically just ordinary guys who happen to have a skill which makes them highly sought after in a multi-million pound industry. They're employed for that ability, not for their character. The only reason footballers are role models is because people make them into role models - the vast majority of them don't ask to be.

As far as I am concerned, Evans has every right to be employed as a professional footballer and it's up to the individual employer to decide whether they wish to take him on. I wouldn't be pleased if Killie decided to sign him, and I would let them know that quite vociferously, but I don't see a reason to interfere if someone else does. It seems to be a moral crusade for a lot of people, and that would only make sense if these people also campaigned against Phil Taylor playing darts, Mike Tyson being involved in boxing etc, which doesn't really seem to have happened.

I wonder if Evans wins his appeal whether he'll be able to sue the Sponsors of Oldham for loss of earnings?

If he wins his appeal, and it's a big if, he'll surely be entitled to compensation? Criminal injuries board? As per those acquitted of offences having served time in prison from a crime they didn't commit.

A Question Time audience member asked a good question. After the panel were listing the jobs he couldn't do, like teacher, accountant, lawyer, social worker etc, and footballer for some reason, she asked why it would be ok for supermarket workers to work with a rapist but not "professionals". The panel got well flustered, especially the Labour rep.

Archived