unfunny comedians

THE KING

On 02/03/2020 at 20:36, Busta Nut said:

I don't know any c**t who thinks Janey Godley is funny.

On 03/03/2020 at 08:21, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I do.

Janey Godley.

Just because she has one doesn't me she is one.

Just like the “difficult second album” there’s a recognised phenomenon in the comedy industry of people coming to prominence on the back of a set that they’ve been honing for years and then struggling to follow that up. You could call it “John Bishop Syndrome”

I saw Janey Godley’s first fringe show and it was entertaining enough. She was more of a raconteur than a comedian and having married into Glasgow organised crime she had some stories worth telling and worth listening to. She’s now told them but feels she has to somehow keep going and maintain a career

Similarly when Sloss “made it” at the age of 17. He was genuinely unique act by virtue of his youth . Now he’s just a 29 year old lower middle class, white man who’s never had a proper job and comedy isn’t short of those.

There’s a pretty thin line between comedians and satirists. All too often the latter try cross over into the former and usually die on their arse fairly quickly. Too many of them think getting laughs for a reply to a promoted subject on Mock The Week makes them comedians. It doesn’t.  

Satire is comedy but I think what you’re really getting at is the way that the panel show has become the dominant medium for broadcast comedy in the UK

If you’re working in that environment then you’re serving up 30 seconds at a time. If you were a chef you’d be preparing snacks as opposed to meals. Each bit is self contained.

Some comedians suit this Some don’t and the ones are good at snacks aren’t necessarily good at meals.

Milton Jones can move seamlessly between standing up on stage telling daft one liners for an hour to sitting down and telling one liners on telly every so often but Dave Gorman who built his career on hour long PowerPoint presentations full of call backs, in jokes and plot twists isn’t going to thrive in the same way.

But given that you need the panel work to get the exposure to get the profile to get the live work in the big rooms that does seem to determine the skills that a lot of up and coming comedians are focused on which ultimately sees people served up tubes of pringles, pepperami and smarties as dinner

• 4 weeks later...

I think the main problem with a lot of these "comedians " is that they get over exposed   , most of them are one trick ponies and become boring pretty quickly . Some are ok in small doses but in the main most are fairly limited talent wise and are perfect chair fillers on panel shows and the like usually because they're desperate to be on telly for some exposure and their pretty cheap to hire 

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Janey Godley

Janey Godley

Janey Godley

Janey Godley

Janey Godley

Football account. 

Edit, you could have added her daughter who's actually worse than her.

Edited by bennett

I was speaking to an ex gf of mine recently who informed me that we'd seen Jane Godley at the comedy store in Edinburgh one Sunday night (she was compère). The whole show was dogshit with Godley herself the troublesome turd stuck on the sole of your boot. Must have been around 2014.

As a non smoking, health conscious active adult male, suddenly my cancer diagnosis begins to make sense.....

On 02/03/2020 at 20:36, Busta Nut said:

She ended up on Have I Got News For You during the last series and I felt embarrassed to be Scottish (:lol:) listening to her pish. Her voice is excruciating. Thankfully I have swerved any of her stand up, has she been around for a while? 

Was coming on here to say about Janey Godley, she's being posted all over Facebook with clips of her doing a voice over nicola sturgeon and the cmo, friends are sharing this "hilarious" "so funny" clip. It's terrible and worse just a badly done, unoriginal rip off of Michael Spicer who has been doing the guy next door on twitter and is actually pretty good. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Janey Godley is terrible and I cannot understand how anyone can enjoy her. Usually I get why people with shite tastes like certain things but I still cannae figure this one out. No metaphor will ever accurately convey how terrible her "comedy" is. 

James Corden seems to have made a career off writing a horrendous sitcom and being very fat. How he's managed to move over to America and entertain the simpletons is beyond me. 

Andy Parsons is a baldy wee ginger goateed b*****d who just barks into a mic. 

Ricky Gervais is a strange one because I really like his scripted stuff but I can't go his stand up at all. Arrogant as f**k as well.

Michael McIntyre. 

Janey Godley is terrible and I cannot understand how anyone can enjoy her. Usually I get why people with shite tastes like certain things but I still cannae figure this one out. No metaphor will ever accurately convey how terrible her "comedy" is. 
James Corden seems to have made a career off writing a horrendous sitcom and being very fat. How he's managed to move over to America and entertain the simpletons is beyond me. 
Andy Parsons is a baldy wee ginger goateed b*****d who just barks into a mic. 
Ricky Gervais is a strange one because I really like his scripted stuff but I can't go his stand up at all. Arrogant as f**k as well.
Michael McIntyre. 
Gervais's "arrogance" is and always has been part of his act. Part of the reason I like him is because I know that part will piss off a lot of people who don't 'get it'. I think he's hilarious.