The queen is dead

Richey Edwards

The singles version of Hand in Glove is so much better than the album version and the single version of This Charming Man is so much better than the version on Hatful of Hollow.

I'd say you could make an argument for any Smiths album being their best without being labeled a loony but for me I'd probably go for Meat is Murder.

Depending on whether you include 'How Soon As Now' (which wasn't originally on the album) it either has 3 or 4 of the best tracks they ever did out of 9 or 10 tracks on the album (Headmaster Ritual, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, Barbarism Begins At Home + How Soon Is Now). Most of the rest of the tracks are really good, under rated tracks in their canon - I Want The One I Can't Have, Nowhere Fast, Well I Wonder etc.

Hatful of Hollow is really good all the way through but it only really has one of their best songs on it (William). The Queen Is Dead is a little uneven, it has some great songs on it but the Frankly Mr Shankly, I Know Its Over (Rank version is better than the studio version) and Never Had No One Ever is not really essential Smiths.

Should Hatful be comparable with TQID lp though? Hatful is a best of (so far) whilst TQID is a stand alone studio lp.

What I love about 99% of the songs in their canon is that they all come in & out my favorite tracks list. Agree that certain tracks are better on different lp's & some of the bootleg stuff is brilliant too.

Grimbo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite is Louder than Bombs. But if we're going for studio albums then it has to be the self titled. First album I heard from them and it blew me sideways. Favourite band <3

The singles version of Hand in Glove is so much better than the album version and the single version of This Charming Man is so much better than the version on Hatful of Hollow.

I'd say you could make an argument for any Smiths album being their best without being labeled a loony but for me I'd probably go for Meat is Murder.

Depending on whether you include 'How Soon As Now' (which wasn't originally on the album) it either has 3 or 4 of the best tracks they ever did out of 9 or 10 tracks on the album (Headmaster Ritual, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, Barbarism Begins At Home + How Soon Is Now). Most of the rest of the tracks are really good, under rated tracks in their canon - I Want The One I Can't Have, Nowhere Fast, Well I Wonder etc.

Hatful of Hollow is really good all the way through but it only really has one of their best songs on it (William). The Queen Is Dead is a little uneven, it has some great songs on it but the Frankly Mr Shankly, I Know Its Over (Rank version is better than the studio version) and Never Had No One Ever is not really essential Smiths.

I love "I know it's over".

I remember going out with a girl in 1987 who put a record on one night in her house. It was Louder Than Bombs and totally blew me away. I'd never heard anything like it and no record or artist has ever managed this since.

To me The Smiths are the best band ever - morrissey and marr were fuckin geniuses with songs that never get boring and lyrics that mean so much.

They also inspired so many bands and all from an era mostly dominated by shite electro synthesised pop music.

I'll forever be thankful to wee Elaine for introducing me to them (never introduced me to anything else right enough :( )

Oh and for me The Queen Is Dead is their best album just for There Is A Light....

I remember going out with a girl in 1987 who put a record on one night in her house. It was Louder Than Bombs and totally blew me away. I'd never heard anything like it and no record or artist has ever managed this since.

To me The Smiths are the best band ever - morrissey and marr were fuckin geniuses with songs that never get boring and lyrics that mean so much.

They also inspired so many bands and all from an era mostly dominated by shite electro synthesised pop music.

I'll forever be thankful to wee Elaine for introducing me to them (never introduced me to anything else right enough :( )

Oh and for me The Queen Is Dead is their best album just for There Is A Light....

A cheap comparison however, I've listened to a lot more New Order from 1995 onwards.

Is this the best Smiths album? Am I alone in thinking Strangeways is better?

I'm more of a Strangeways fan as well. FWIW, both Morrissey and Marr think it's the best Smiths record, as does Stephen Street.

All four albums are magnificent though.

My favourite studio albums are in the following order of most enjoyed to least enjoyed (but still enjoyed nonetheless):

1 Meat Is Murder

2 = The Queen Is Dead

2 = The Smiths

4 Strangeways Here We Come

Picked up The World Won't Listen on vinyl in late November from LoveMusic in Dundas Street, took it round to my pal's in Partick and had dinner listening to it.

I absolutely lost my shít when I got to see Johnny play last November, what a man. My absolute favourite guitarist.

My favourite studio albums are in the following order of most enjoyed to least enjoyed (but still enjoyed nonetheless):

1 Meat Is Murder

2 = The Queen Is Dead

2 = The Smiths

4 Strangeways Here We Come

Picked up The World Won't Listen on vinyl in late November from LoveMusic in Dundas Street, took it round to my pal's in Partick and had dinner listening to it.

I absolutely lost my shít when I got to see Johnny play last November, what a man. My absolute favourite guitarist.

Johnny Marr's great, even if his solo stuff is a bit meh. Look at the difference between a Modest Mouse gig with him and without him. Totally different beast.

Johnny Marr's great, even if his solo stuff is a bit meh. Look at the difference between a Modest Mouse gig with him and without him. Totally different beast.

I've never listened to the stuff he did with MM, I probably should though. I'll get round to it eventually. Now, if only I had a spare grand or so to splurge on Johnny's red signature Fender Jag that'd be smashing...

I've never listened to the stuff he did with MM, I probably should though. I'll get round to it eventually. Now, if only I had a spare grand or so to splurge on Johnny's red signature Fender Jag that'd be smashing...

In all honesty it's more the live impact than the studio one, I feel.

We could go halfers - I'd like that guitar too.

Meat Is Murder for me its just a shame about the abomination that is the title track from it

Lol wut. Despite being a massive carnivore I still love that song. It's a fantastic piece of work.

Or a Rickenbacker 330 :wub:

Jetglo or Fireglo?

I used to know a guy with an old 60's Rickenbacker and everyone would gather round the case like it was some kind of religious artifact.

They are beautiful objects - especially when Susanna Hoffs played one!

Archived