Do you make your own music?

RawB93

Are there any P&Bers that make their own music? I remember reading about a guy (possibly a St. Johnstone fan?) who does and had a track played at McDiarmid. I'm more into electronic music myself and make it on my PC. Actually just finished a track if anyone fancies a listen. Would be good if there were a few others :)

Soundcloud

Edited by RawB93

Are there any P&Bers that make their own music? I remember reading about a guy (possibly a St. Johnstone fan?) who does and had a track played at McDiarmid. I'm more into electronic music myself and make it on my PC. Actually just finished a track if anyone fancies a listen. Would be good if there were a few others :)

https://soundcloud.com/guestsounds/tyrone

I originally thought that was Jill Scott but changed my mind to Erykah Badu? If I was still a heavy toker I would love that.

I used to make tunes on Music 3000 on the PS2. Used to sample stuff off CDs, loop it, make my own tunes and burn off CDs. I used to play them to friends and family who kindly lied to me that it was good stuff.

I've been writing songs for a couple of years now. They're sort of progressed through various degrees of pishness so far - and still are - but I'm learning all the time which is pretty rewarding in itself.

The idea now is to write roughly an album's worth of songs which are at a good standard and then hopefully starting a band to record/play them live (obviously, music being "good" or "bad" is subjective, but I'm getting better at knowing why I like certain aspects of music now as opposed to before, when if I liked something I didn't really know what the artist was doing in terms of chord progressions, dynamics, mixing etc. This means I can take aspects of songs I like and re-imagine/build upon them).

Will likely take a couple of years or might never get finished, but it's something to work towards for the moment anyway.

I've been writing songs for a couple of years now. They're sort of progressed through various degrees of pishness so far - and still are - but I'm learning all the time which is pretty rewarding in itself.

If you changed "a couple of" to a "decade" then that would apply to me.

I mostly use Reason & have made lot of tunes most of which are really pish. But I'm getting better all the time & I'd say I probably have about 6 or 7 tunes that I think are good but there are always things I want to make better on them. Don't know if they will ever be finished.

Edited by Ziggy

If you changed "a couple of" to a "decade" then that would apply to me.

I mostly use Reason & have made lot of tunes most of which are really pish. But I'm getting better all the time & I'd say I probably have about 6 or 7 tunes that I think are good but there are always things I want to make better on them. Don't know if they will ever be finished.

I watched an interview with Paul Banks from Interpol recently where he talks about finding the balance between perfectionism and just getting stuff out there, sounds like he tends to lean towards the latter (from 2:20, the whole thing is interesting though, even if you don't listen to that type of music):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndw4UHYvuqs

When you're just starting out though, I think aiming for perfection (whatever that may mean to you) is the way to go when it comes to creating as, although it can be maddening, the results will always be better than if you set your standards low.

I've been in loads of bands and used to do my own singer/songwriter stuff, but haven't bothered my arse for years now. Don't think I've held an instrument (stop giggling at the back) for about two years now. Recently had to move a bunch of equipment from storage into my cellar, I've got umpteen guitars of various types, drum kit, bass, piano, keyboard, several amps, mixing deck, dj decks and equipment, faders, pedals, mic and various other stuff, even a cassette based multi track recorder, as obsolete a thing as one could possibly find nowadays. I really should sell it off and free up some space / cash.