Half man half biscuit

moses1924

• 2 weeks later...

When/where/how much? Been listening to the new stuff the other day, enjoyed it.

Bit more than normal... £21. 7pm on 31st January at the Liquid Rooms... there is a support act called JD Meatyard, but he's a bit shite (he supported them in Blackburn as well).

Edit:

Deleted everything I wrote.

Aye, it's not cheap, but tbh, they don't really tour and last time I saw them at the Liquid Rooms, it was mobbed.

Saw an interview with Nigel Blackwell where he was pressed about his lack of advertising and touring. His answer was that he preferred sleeping in his own kip every night hence the lack of travel.

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

Edit:

Deleted everything I wrote.

Aye, it's not cheap, but tbh, they don't really tour and last time I saw them at the Liquid Rooms, it was mobbed.

Saw an interview with Nigel Blackwell where he was pressed about his lack of advertising and touring. His answer was that he preferred sleeping in his own kip every night hence the lack of travel.

May as well fill you in with what I was told by a friend that was at a Liquid Room HMHB gig many years back.

They spoke to Geoff (who was running the stall) & the real truth is that Nigel is terrified of flying & sailing. Hence no gigs outside the UK & turning down the opportunity to play on The Tube all those years back when offered the Tyne Tees helicopter to ferry them there & back home again (which meant Jools Holland sulking ever since & refusing to invite them onto his regular BBC2 shows).

This puts them in turn with a big problem dealing with promoters and venues. Nowadays if you're not willing to tour outside of the UK, you will be treated as a "hobby band" that promoters will find very difficult to pitch to decent venues (who may demand a ridiculously large "guarantee" - essentially a hire charge on the hire charge). In short, HMHB get the gigs they get because it's all they CAN get. But from what my friend was told, a "hobby band" is just about all they want it to be.

My friend said Geoff confessed he found Nigel exasperating at times. They wasted a pile of money (& people's time) shooting a high quality live gig with bonus promotional videos for several songs for a DVD a few years ago - the promos would have paid for themselves by getting them MTV and other such slots. But at the last minute came a Nigel diktat that he didn't like them & it was all scrapped (except the promos, which were put online by the very pissed off people that shot them, in a bid to both get new clients & get their own back).

May as well fill you in with what I was told by a friend that was at a Liquid Room HMHB gig many years back.

They spoke to Geoff (who was running the stall) & the real truth is that Nigel is terrified of flying & sailing. Hence no gigs outside the UK & turning down the opportunity to play on The Tube all those years back when offered the Tyne Tees helicopter to ferry them there & back home again (which meant Jools Holland sulking ever since & refusing to invite them onto his regular BBC2 shows).

This puts them in turn with a big problem dealing with promoters and venues. Nowadays if you're not willing to tour outside of the UK, you will be treated as a "hobby band" that promoters will find very difficult to pitch to decent venues (who may demand a ridiculously large "guarantee" - essentially a hire charge on the hire charge). In short, HMHB get the gigs they get because it's all they CAN get. But from what my friend was told, a "hobby band" is just about all they want it to be.

My friend said Geoff confessed he found Nigel exasperating at times. They wasted a pile of money (& people's time) shooting a high quality live gig with bonus promotional videos for several songs for a DVD a few years ago - the promos would have paid for themselves by getting them MTV and other such slots. But at the last minute came a Nigel diktat that he didn't like them & it was all scrapped (except the promos, which were put online by the very pissed off people that shot them, in a bid to both get new clients & get their own back).

Jeezo. Didn't know all that. Kudos.

In other news, I've been seeing a Czech burd for the last few months. I made her listen to "All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit". She looked nonplussed. She's actually coming to the gig although understandably, she doesn't really understand HMHB.

Having said that, she's just presented me with this :)

post-4857-0-53973500-1421611078_thumb.jp

Bit more than normal... £21. 7pm on 31st January at the Liquid Rooms... there is a support act called JD Meatyard, but he's a bit shite (he supported them in Blackburn as well).

Cheers Cardinal. Afraid I'll be working that night - couple that with a few expensive gigs over February and March means I should most probably save my money for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best HMHB gig I've been to. Probably cos I couldn't understand any of his banter from where we standing. And far too many chaps wearing Dukla Prague Away Kits for my liking. I thought I would be unique :(

Agreed, not the best that I have seen them but still a rare treat indeed, they seem to have their trips north down to once every two years, so presumably they won't be back until 2017!!!

Thought the sound was very patchy, no problems during any of the songs apart from "The Unfortunate Gwatkin", which the system seemed to struggle with but I was really only catching half of what he was saying during his bants, although did catch and laugh at his "Tiger Feet" jape. Were you standing near the bar, under the balcony Cardinal?, thats where I was and thats where most of the bemused expressions were during Nigel's chat, everywhere else seemed to hear it ok. Think you can add "doesn't like the music played too loud" to Nigel's list of foible's, saw him indicating to the sound guy to turn it down on more than one occasion, but also saw Neil the bass player telling the same guy to turn it up more than once as well!!!

Five songs played from the new album and they seemed to blend in well with the classics, of which there was plenty, I've never heard them play "I Love You Because (You Look Like Jim Reeves)" before and "99% of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd" was a rare treat as well. The token cover version (Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now) was brilliant, I only regret was that I wished that I paid more attention to the stuff that Nigel was singing and strumming during the delay at the start while Neil was fannying around with his broken bass as aparantly it was new stuff that he is currently working on!!!

All in all another enjoyable HMHB gig, they always are, definitely not the best one I've been to but still always good to see them, probablly won't stand as close to the bar next time I'm in the Liquid Rooms as I've never experienced problems with the sound there before, but I've usually always been "up front" and don't think I'll bother getting a Dukla Prague away kit now, everybody and their dog seemed to have one last night!!!

Edited by King Kebab

The best HMHB gig I went to was in Blackburn last year. Great acoustics, not too busy and I was standing literally about 3 feet from the man himself.

I was standing to the side of the stage for most of the gig KK, with a confused looking Czech lassie. She obviously didn't understand 99% of the references (and how the hell do you even start explaining who Kendo Nagasaki or Fred Titmus are?)

• 4 weeks later...

I got into HMHB about 5 or 6 years ago when I lived in London, when my mate played me Achtung Baby. He'd been into them for nearly 20 years, but has/had no interest in football. So...we went through most of the back catalogue, him playing me the songs, and me explaining all the football references to him. Quality night for us both :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I got into HMHB about 5 or 6 years ago when I lived in London, when my mate played me Achtung Baby. He'd been into them for nearly 20 years, but has/had no interest in football. So...we went through most of the back catalogue, him playing me the songs, and me explaining all the football references to him. Quality night for us both :-)

Hope you listened to the Referee's Alphabet!

HMHB playing at the O2 in September. I reckon they might be more popular in Scotland than they are in England, going by the crowds I've seen at Scottish vs English gigs.