Orlando

scmwell

I am going to Orlando next year.  Has anybody ever went to an NHL game while there. I am assuming Tampa bay is the easiest to get to?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Yeah, about an hour to the Lightning. Panthers on the way in Sunrise if you're planning on heading down to Miami. TB will be the better night, Panthers average attendance is about 14 people.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked flights with Icelandair in January for £261 return. Definitely no frills. Just travelling with hand luggage and no meals, but I couldn't care less about that. I usually just go with hand luggage anyway. Only works if you work in a 1 night stopover in Reykjavik. Just in case any of you guys are looking for flights. 

image.png.ab0af2fc6f2a4e413bd51bf51456b902.png

I booked flights with Icelandair in January for £261 return. Definitely no frills. Just travelling with hand luggage and no meals, but I couldn't care less about that. I usually just go with hand luggage anyway. Only works if you work in a 1 night stopover in Reykjavik. Just in case any of you guys are looking for flights. 
image.png.ab0af2fc6f2a4e413bd51bf51456b902.png

Fair enough hand luggage on the way out but I do too much shopping over there for no hold luggage.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Heading here for a week at the end of September. Any ideas for eating out and activities outside the parks ? 

BB Kings is just off Int Drive (across from the upside down building -  you'll notice it) does great ribs and fantastic live music - would recommend going on a friday/saturday night when the All Star Band is on. Book a table tho, as if you don't there's no guarantee of a table for food.

• 11 months later...

Bump. Has anyone been to Busch Gardens and if so would you recommend going?

I've been before but it was on holiday with my parents and about 15 years ago.  We're only in Orlando for a week before heading to the Bahamas so it's not a massive timeframe. We're still going to do universal and probably one of the disney parks.

I've been before but it was on holiday with my parents and about 15 years ago.  We're only in Orlando for a week before heading to the Bahamas so it's not a massive timeframe. We're still going to do universal and probably one of the disney parks.
I was there in October 2018 and it was great for roller coasters, it was so quiet we practically had the park to ourselves, never waited any longer than the next carriage to arrive at the station for any of the rides. Probably not much to do with younger kids though. Plus it is a fairly long drive from the Kissimmee area, but it's not a difficult drive, mostly on the freeway. From memory it was about an hour and a half from our villa.

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If you like rollercoasters its pretty good. I wouldnt really recommend for young kids though. What month you going? Its pretty quiet in the parks midweek til june time.

No young kids thankfully, we're both mid twenties and looking at it for the big rides which it looks pretty decent for. First week in June! 

We’ve a day booked at the magic kingdom on the 9th April. Still getting over the shock of the price. But it is also my kids 9th birthday so she’s never going to forget it.

Toying with idea going to a water park on the 10th.

We have two nights in Orlando while spending time with friends in Coral Springs.

On 09/03/2020 at 11:12, RH33 said:

We’ve a day booked at the magic kingdom on the 9th April. Still getting over the shock of the price. But it is also my kids 9th birthday so she’s never going to forget it.

Toying with idea going to a water park on the 10th.

We have two nights in Orlando while spending time with friends in Coral Springs.

Another idea instead of the water park - if they're strong enough swimmers - is snorkeling at John Pennekamp State Park on Key Largo. I know you said you'd ditched the Keys, which is fair play - Key West is OK, but it's a trek and accommodation is ferociously expensive - but Key Largo used to take us about 80 minutes from Miami. Shouldn't be a whole lot more from Coral Springs because you're straight onto the freeway and don't have to deal with Miami surface road traffic. 

I looked at that option too but wee one is only 7 and middle one is a tiny dot of a 9yr old so just think they are a bit little.

Contemplating doing the glass bottom boat there on the Sunday or Monday as a day trip. Waiting until I’m there now to make any plans. Hopefully coronavirus won’t cancel our flights or worse shut magic kingdom!

50 minutes ago, RH33 said:

I looked at that option too but wee one is only 7 and middle one is a tiny dot of a 9yr old so just think they are a bit little.

Contemplating doing the glass bottom boat there on the Sunday or Monday as a day trip. Waiting until I’m there now to make any plans. Hopefully coronavirus won’t cancel our flights or worse shut magic kingdom!

Glass bottom boat is pretty cool too. Do buy the motion sickness pill from the store before you go in and don't eat at the Cuban place across the street from the park entrance, it's shite. There is a little beach at Pennekamp, but it's pretty rocky, so have them take sandals or water shoes if you've got time before/after the boat. Do also stop at Robert Is Here in Homestead just before you hit US1 goint to the Keys - it's a giant fruit stand with the best milkshakes known to humanity and a petting zoo out back. 

On 08/03/2020 at 17:55, Louis Litt said:

I'd say Busch Gardens is def worth it if you've not got kids/like rollercoasters. Nowhere near as expensive as Disney or Universal either. By far the most fun thing to do at Universal is get one of the water guns at Bilge Rat Barges and use it to soak randomers, paying 180 dollars in and then spending most of your time paying even more money to soak people you don't even know may sound idiotic but it is worth it for sure. 

Loved the waterpark (Blizzard Beach) when I went aswell. Midweek and "cold" (according to locals, even though it was over 20c) so it was really quiet, did shite it from the big f**k off 120 foot drop slide though.