Orlando

scmwell

Looking at going to Florida next June . 5 adults and 3 kids,

flights are working out at around £350 per person, viia Philadelphia out and Gatwick back,

Car Hire and accomodation wont be a problem as loads to choose from 

Park tickets is my sticking point. Kids arent really in to Disney so i think we could do multi park hopper which includes Universal, Wet n Wild etc for around £250 each,

are these parks okay?

• 1 month later...

My parents, Davenport, really worried about them as they dont keep very well. Hope you're ok!

We'll be fine, just stay indoors. The forecast has moved it slightly off the east coast and now saying 70mph winds tomorrow. We've been told to stay indoors until Saturday. Scary situation though, we were due to head east to new Smyrna beach on Sunday and they're forecasted to be hit with potential 8ft storm surges. Might be heading up to help out rather than enjoy the beach.

Just to reassure you, killbowie, the winds in the Orlando area have been nothing worse than winter in Scotland. 35mph sustained winds and guest of 45. None of the storm surge damage has come to fruition on the coast either.

Orlando currently on curfew until 7am but that's been complete overkill.

Hopefully the folks are okay but the weather really isn't anything to worry about in Orlando.

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Im not aware of any sites where you can buy single days, what parks are you planning on doing? You cant really make any savings on single days, however sometimes places like walmart stores will sell them in advance.

Hollywood Studios, most likely. Having seen day pass prices it works out about £80/£85 for the day whereas a 7 day pass is about £300 so think I'll wait until I'm over there as no point in paying for a 7 day pass when I'll only be there for two days max.

Already got a 7 day pass for Universal so I'll likely spend most of my time there.

Went last year and planning to go back in 2018.

We stayed at a Disney hotel and had the dinning plan, which is well worth it. All the transport withing Disney is free on the shuttle buses which are never more than a 10 minute wait for (and when its $20 for the car park its a huge saving). We had the 1 quick service and 1 table service meal plan, which also includes 2 snacks. So you could get cereal or muffin / pastry for breakfast (all soft drinks & tea & coffee are free in your hotel) for a snack, a quick service lunch and table service dinner. you basically have over a hundred restaurants to choose from, including most of the ones at Disney Springs (although some aren't included but will give you a discount), and some of the dinner show are worthy booking as well. If you look around before you go some of the restaurants guarantee seats for the evening fireworks etc or will overlook then so worth a bit of planning.

It all depends on what else you want to do but if you stay at disney you can get the 14 day pass which means you can go to any park at any time (ie multiple in one day if you wish), you get the 4 parks, plus the 2 water parks and also Disney quest.

Maybe the best part is the disney wrist band which you use for all the fast passes, shopping, theme park entrance, paying for dinner etc. It also includes all the park photo's as well. So instead of ignoring all the official photographers as you know your not paying $10 a picture, you actually look them out as much as possible as they are all free, and means you can get the whole family in the picture without looking for someone else to take it for you 

On 15/01/2017 at 14:57, The Naitch said:

Off to Orlando in 4 months time so trying to pre-book the big parks. Is there anywhere in the UK that I can sort out single day passes for Disney? All the usual sites only seem to quote 7 and 14 day passes.

Undercovertourist do single days. Base tickets and hoppers.  Base will save you a bit more but that's you stuck at the one park for the day.

They ship to UK or can give you vouchers to pick your tickets up.  Remember though that you'll want to get your fastpasses 30 days in advance.

Undercovertourist do single days. Base tickets and hoppers.  Base will save you a bit more but that's you stuck at the one park for the day.
They ship to UK or can give you vouchers to pick your tickets up.  Remember though that you'll want to get your fastpasses 30 days in advance.

Whatever happened to the good old days when you rocked up at the gate, paid your money and happily queued in the blazing sunshine for 2 hours to enjoy a 3 minute ride?

11 hours ago, Mr Sugden said:

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm after. They do e-tickets as well which is ideal.

• 1 year later...
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 18:19, DigOutYourSoul said:

Booked again for October. Keep coming back and saying 'not next year' and getting to this time of year and caving in.

I'm the same, heading out in May - can't wait. Only place I've been that I feel almost completely relaxed and in holiday 'mode' as soon as the plane touches down.

Been far too many times for it to be reasonable but is there really anything wrong with that if you just like the place? Mrs keeps saying she's not going back but we're trying to make the most of getting there before both kids are in school and the price rockets for us to go.

Got the usual 14 days for the price of 7 passes for Disney and might try to sneak to Universal on my own (boys are too young to really do anything there). No Space Centre this year either as we're trying to take it a bit easier - always end up coming back knackered :-)

Anybody else heading out soon? What's your favourite places to go? Personally love a half day at Typhoon Lagoon and also Holywood Studios for the Tower and the Rock and Roller Coaster and for eating I don't think you can better Bahama Breeze..

I'm the same, heading out in May - can't wait. Only place I've been that I feel almost completely relaxed and in holiday 'mode' as soon as the plane touches down.
Been far too many times for it to be reasonable but is there really anything wrong with that if you just like the place? Mrs keeps saying she's not going back but we're trying to make the most of getting there before both kids are in school and the price rockets for us to go.
Got the usual 14 days for the price of 7 passes for Disney and might try to sneak to Universal on my own (boys are too young to really do anything there). No Space Centre this year either as we're trying to take it a bit easier - always end up coming back knackered :-)
Anybody else heading out soon? What's your favourite places to go? Personally love a half day at Typhoon Lagoon and also Holywood Studios for the Tower and the Rock and Roller Coaster and for eating I don't think you can better Bahama Breeze..

Heading out again in September, can’t stop going back and got it at a bargain. This time because I’m getting bored of the parks I’m getting a mustang for two weeks and plan to just drive to different parts of Florida. We’re also going to Volcano Bay as I’m sure it’s the only thing that’s changed from the last time we were there. Thoroughly looking forward to and it’s also my girlfriends first time going, she keeps asking what it’s like but if I’m honest words will never do it justice.

42 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Heading out again in September, can’t stop going back and got it at a bargain. This time because I’m getting bored of the parks I’m getting a mustang for two weeks and plan to just drive to different parts of Florida. We’re also going to Volcano Bay as I’m sure it’s the only thing that’s changed from the last time we were there. Thoroughly looking forward to and it’s also my girlfriends first time going, she keeps asking what it’s like but if I’m honest words will never do it justice.

On one trip not long after I got married we flew into Orlando International and took our hire car down the East Coast of Florida (Space Coast down to Miami). Stayed there for a few days and then drove down to Key West - if you get a chance I'd highly recommend doing that as the drive from Miami to Key West was absolutely amazing, the drive over the overseas highway was spectacular (the Dolphin sanctuary en-route was good as well) and Key West was brilliant.

When we left Key West we drove back up past Miami, cut across the everglades stopping for an airboat ride and drove back up the West Coast - Naples, St Pete's, Tampa before staying back in Orlando for a few days at the end.

Amazing holiday....

I was there for the first time last October.  As much as I loved it, it was pretty frustrating at times, as I was there with people who had been there many times before.

I wanted to try Epcot. No point, it's crap I was told. Fair enough, but we managed to go to about 5 supermarkets when we were there. It's an experience, but after the third time I was getting a bit annoyed. That's even before we talk about the Walgreen stops.

The big plus for me. The night at the Hard Rock Hotel. It gave us fast passes for two days at Universal which was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, we spent a great time at Saratoga Springs, it was a 10 minute walk from Disney Springs, but there is nowhere else to go for an early morning walk before the lazy b*****ds all surface.

Going back next year I think. I'll try to be less grumpy then.

8 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I was there for the first time last October.  As much as I loved it, it was pretty frustrating at times, as I was there with people who had been there many times before.

I wanted to try Epcot. No point, it's crap I was told. Fair enough, but we managed to go to about 5 supermarkets when we were there. It's an experience, but after the third time I was getting a bit annoyed. That's even before we talk about the Walgreen stops.

The big plus for me. The night at the Hard Rock Hotel. It gave us fast passes for two days at Universal which was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, we spent a great time at Saratoga Springs, it was a 10 minute walk from Disney Springs, but there is nowhere else to go for an early morning walk before the lazy b*****ds all surface.

Going back next year I think. I'll try to be less grumpy then.

Don't be. You should be grumpy at those you travelled with. Epcot is fucking fantastic. Yeah there are a few slower rides and it feels different to the other parks but it's a great day. 

Don't see the point of a paying a fortune for park tickets and not at least trying all parks. Especially if you are bringing along someone new who might get a totally different experience to yourself. Who's to say you won't have loved every aspect of Epcot? 

Edited by djchapsticks

We're off in 12 weeks. 

Doing the first week where we land in Orlando, stay a night and then going to do Ft Lauderdale for a night, 3 nights in Key West, then onto Naples and Sarasota for a night each.  A lot of road miles to rack up but I've already hired the Mustang to do so. Really look forward to doing this as we've spoken about it many times. Gulf coast, seven mile bridge, everglades. All stuff I've wanted to see so it will be an experience. Also looking forward to the laid back island feel on the keys. 

Second week, we're in Universal Blvd, an apartment we've rented a few times before but ha entirely been to in 6 years. We'll do Universal, Volcano Bay (1st time) and perhaps squeeze in Sea World at some point. 

Edited by djchapsticks

So, I'm going back this year after all. Only for a week in September and for a chill out. Staying at the Hard Rock Hotel so getting fast passes for Universal with the extra hour, not hiring a car and only getting an Uber to the Orlando Mall once. 

The food is going to be expensive at the Hotel or in City Walk, with no dining plan, but I don't care.

Hopefully the Horror Nights will have started by the time we get there, I was far too tired to enjoy it last year.