Orlando

scmwell

7 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Good luck - hope it works out ok!

Sure it will! BA have already confirmed in event of cancellation they are duty bound to get us to destination if a refund is refused, so even if we end up two days late, that will be worst case scenario.

I just want to sleep. Stressed out as f**k. Thomas Cook went bust the morning of us flying out last time we went in 2019 and I had to rearrange that with no notice and fly into Miami so I'm starting to reckon I'm a Jonah.

You’ll definitely get there dont worry, probably the next day IF your flight is cancelled. We have just got back yesterday. We flew virgin and my parents BA. Have a look at the tweets around the new terminal C that BA works out of, delays waiting for baggage, no food places open and to get a hire car you have to take all your luggage on the train to terminal A/B as the rental car desks havent opened. Was a bit of a shit show for my parents. 
In terms of pricing the shops were noticeably more expensive but we still got some decent bargains in North Face (20% off for giving an email address to sign up to their loyalty scheme, gave three different emails each time), Under armour etc (they were doing 40% off full price for blue light/nhs first responders and teachers and 20% off in the outlets). Sign up to mailing lists and if you booked with Andy at Discount florida car hire they send the eat shop play thing that gets you 20% off at Dennys (which fair mounted up for us eating breakfast there 8 days). Food more expensive yes, but not like prohibitively, even at parity with the usd you can make things work, even disney springs etc its just like eating at a marked up restaurant here tbh. In the parks we didnt really eat except from buying drinks and would grab food before, after. Really recommend Portillos hot dogs and burgers near Vineland, fantastic food and amazing chocolate cake. Always a big fan of flippers for a decent ‘sit in’ meal for pizza. 

Cheers. Yeah feeling a little more confident today. At time we're due to land, you're talking decent chance of being gusty but it will still be far enough south and orlando/east florida is apparently very well protected by hurricanes in the gulf by the Tampa shield.

They are evacuating Tampa today and folk are going to Orlando so shows that they are defintely not expecting it anything like as bad as on the Gulf Coast. 

I've got everything crossed we get out on time.

From what I can see from Eric Burris on Facebook (pretty good follow at the moment with it all) - MCO is closing except for emergencies from 1030am tomorrow and is due to reopen on Friday at 1030am as things stand. His general take on it all is that it's not so much the winds that will be the main issue for central florida but mainly the rainfall, latest prediction is the storm slowing right down and dumping up to 2feet of rain. 

What a last 4 hours that's been.

Airport closed, flights cancelled, BA customer service fucking hopeless.

Managed, finally to get booked on Monday 3rd to Monday 17th at no extra cost.

Car hire changed.

Need to get accommodation booked now for the last 5 days. I'll sort that out when this panic attack I am in the middle of has subsided. I always thought the Thomas Cook debacle that I went through would never be repeated.

On 27/09/2022 at 21:44, djchapsticks said:

What a last 4 hours that's been.

Airport closed, flights cancelled, BA customer service fucking hopeless.

Managed, finally to get booked on Monday 3rd to Monday 17th at no extra cost.

Car hire changed.

Need to get accommodation booked now for the last 5 days. I'll sort that out when this panic attack I am in the middle of has subsided. I always thought the Thomas Cook debacle that I went through would never be repeated.

Did you get sorted for accomodation? Recommend a plus vacation rentals quite highly, they’re decent to rent from. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Excellent, £120 a night is good going for october. Where abouts? Have done Windsor Palms condos before and they are good. 

The first house we got in Solara (that we're officially staying in right now :lol: )

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/44235794?source_impression_id=p3_1664717239_BrCU%2BYIc99J1zJv9

The second one - not sure of name of it but it's heading towards Old Town - seems like a relative new build.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/603584789996051951?source_impression_id=p3_1664717396_8l%2BndWrcaxokytgD

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The first house we got in Solara (that we're officially staying in right now :lol: )

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/44235794?source_impression_id=p3_1664717239_BrCU%2BYIc99J1zJv9

The second one - not sure of name of it but it's heading towards Old Town - seems like a relative new build.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/603584789996051951?source_impression_id=p3_1664717396_8l%2BndWrcaxokytgD

Yeh have seen solara ones before theyre really nice. I think we passed by that second one when we went to find a shop called Kohls that the mrs likes. That bit has had massive investment over the last few years and the new places like yours all look absolutely brilliant, the osceola parkway will get you to the parks pretty rapid without needing to do the 192 or i4 at peak times, gonna favourite that one for the future, really like the look of it! 

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving Orlando tonight 😭

Had a great time. Managed all the disney parks, some twice, gatorland, peppa pig world and the Old Town. Ate out a few times and spent a fortune. Wanting to book again, think it will be a few years before @Rugsterwill let us back. Need to financially recover first! 

On 19/10/2022 at 19:00, Honest Saints Fan said:

Had a great time. Managed all the disney parks, some twice, gatorland, peppa pig world and the Old Town. Ate out a few times and spent a fortune. Wanting to book again, think it will be a few years before @Rugsterwill let us back. Need to financially recover first! 

Hope you guys had a lovely time! 

On 19/10/2022 at 19:00, Honest Saints Fan said:

We were there the same time as you - Disney and Universal were *wild* in terms of the crowd levels the week of 10-17th, but the following week was back more like the usual October levels. Amazing weather for the most part, brilliant food, great time had by all. Glad you enjoyed it too!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/05/2022 at 09:40, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I wanted to go there in an ironic way as a committed Atheist and see how long it’d take before i got asked to leave. 

Flying to Orlando today from Glasgow to Melbourne with TUI, never flown this route before so interested to see what the smaller airport is like. 

Sorry for the late bump but how did you find getting into Orlando from Melbourne? We're flying TUI but didn't book it through them and are currently weighing up booking onto one of their coaches from the airport or just forking circa 90$ for an uber/lyft - the former would be a no brainer but if the bus is brutal we'd rather not after an 8 hour flight.

Have already decided against a car because the prices are fucking mental to rent & park at the themeparks and me and my girlfriend don't want to feel like we can't have a drink.

31 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Sorry for the late bump but how did you find getting into Orlando from Melbourne? We're flying TUI but didn't book it through them and are currently weighing up booking onto one of their coaches from the airport or just forking circa 90$ for an uber/lyft - the former would be a no brainer but if the bus is brutal we'd rather not after an 8 hour flight.

Have already decided against a car because the prices are fucking mental to rent & park at the themeparks and me and my girlfriend don't want to feel like we can't have a drink.

Im not a drinker and we generally stay self catering/villa/condo, so car is always the way for us, its a nice drive along the 192 pretty much the whole way. Melbourne is a doddle and its a decent airport. If its £90 for an uber id say thats probably actually not too bad. I dont like being on transfer coaches in europe so id probably enjoy it less in the states, did super shuttle a couple times and it was horrendous. 
If youre doing lyft on the way back itd be worth being there before the buses too so you dont get stuck in a check in queue too with the buses arriving. All in i really rate MLB, i dont really like mco and we tend to arrive elsewhere like tampa or mlb if we can avoid it.

Check the normal taxis as well as Uber mate - Orlando will likely be different but Chicago has slapped a load of fees and surcharges on rideshares at the airports that we usually get quoted $80ish to get home from ORD and it’s about $50 on a taxi just running on the meter 

Edited by carpetmonster

• 2 months later...
On 06/06/2023 at 16:26, MP_MFC said:

Booked up for late February / March next year with BA. They’ve got some cracking deals on. 

You might find more soon, with what DeSantis is doing to secure his “Conservative” credentials. There are some interesting signs that Florida tourist is starting to take a hit, but we won’t know for a couple of months.

On 22/03/2023 at 14:54, Louis Litt said:

Given recent events in Florida, not a bad decision. Anyone driving in Florida these days, hell, anywhere in the U.S., is reminded to turn around in commercial lots or at intersections and stay away from peoples driveways…don’t know what’s wrong, but some people have gone f**king nuts.