2014: Good or Bad?

2014 Good or Bad?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say its been a bad year but its been pretty dull in a lot of ways

Good things:

Bought my flat at the start of the year which was great

Achieved well at college

Had a decent summers job

God to know and love Edinburgh a bit more

Went to Alton towers

Went to few decent games

Bad things:

Put on weight for a while as was eating and drinking way too much

Didn't see many mates and became a bit reclusive

Didn't make many new mates

Spent too much time being a lay about when i should have been on here

Suffered financially being a student when I'm used to having money

Christmas time has also been a bit of a let down, not really felt the spirit and been a bit fed up and overshadowed by Glasgows tragedy so I'm not leaving 2014 with much of a bang

Next year i want to get into uni so need good college grades, get fit and be more sociable and prob spend less time on here

:2cool

Gid year, nae close deaths, grandbairn no3 here safe, negotiated a bumper wage rise, had some cracking holidays, large extension at the back of the house for another on suite bedroom, play room, larger dining room and kitchen in motion and not enough evidence, so their case was dropped, so girfu them !!!

Bad parts

Tons of inactivity, laziness and dread thinking how much time I waste just doing f**k all. Can't seem to write any music, finish reading a book, or even get in to a TV series.

Hours at work are winding down and yet to hear anything official from management what is going on. I'm guessing 2015 will involve job hunting again.

It seems silly putting the referendum in here, but watching the results come in on September the 18th was utterly horrendous. I had always expected a no, to sound like an erse I even predicted the 55-45, so kept telling myself on the 18th it'll be a no, but to hear/see that was pretty devastating. I can't imagine how anyone involved with Yes or the pro-indy parties must have been feeling that night and after 2-3 years volunteering.

Good parts

Getting on well overall with family/pals/girlfriend.

Passed all my distance learning courses.

Managed to save some cash up for hopefully a holiday in 2015.

Good year.

Two holidays, New York in February and Tenerife in September

Wage rise at work plus bonus

Passed my Cert CII exams which means I'm now qualified to talk shite about insurance

Ate at loads of good restaurants

Being able to plan our wedding exactly how I want it and saving up the money ourselves

Saints being magnificent. The weekend we won the Cup Final will be hard to beat. From the game, to the trophy parade the next day and Player of Year on the Sunday night. European nights too. Us St Johnstone fans have been completely spoiled the last few years.

Getting married in February so next year will be better!

Good

My third child, a wee boy, was born in February.

Moved into a new house in November.

Rovers won a cup.

It was a World Cup year and the World Cup was okay.

Bad

The Rovers were pretty fucking awful. Especially at home.

Summary

The year absolutely flew in. To be honest despite the major life milestones I wouldn't give it a high mark out of 10. Probably a 6 or 7, as it went too fast for my liking.

It has to go down as a good year, although it has really fizzled out in the last few months due to a seemingly never-ending series of illnesses. The New Year will undoubtedly begin with a doctor's check-up so I can finally find out everything that's wrong with me.

However, there have been a lot of positives: St. Johnstone winning the Scottish Cup, my band recording the cup final song for Saints and receiving a fair amount of media attention and graduating from university with a 2.1 in English & Creative Writing. My sister got married and we also had a great family holiday (Mediterranean cruise). I haven't really made a concentrated effort to find a course-related job yet, but I've been concentrating more on the musical stuff in the latter half of the year.

The ultimate aim for 2015 is to release an album and get my music noticed by more people (as well as getting at least a part-time job to earn money on the side of my gigs).

What my boi Forza said.

While bringing in the new year in the drake hotel, Toronto. I took a moment to appreciate my surroundings and company. At this point I thought, what a #dece way to start the year.

In April whilst boarding in the Zillertal valley ( Austria), with the sun beating down on my face, I began to ponder as to whether it gets any better. That evening I raved my tits off to the prodigy in an alpine forest #snowboming

In June I was sitting down the copacabana with a ciaparinha one minute, sitting amongst 80,000 in the maracana the next #worldcup

In July, I found myself standing in a torrential downpour, thunder and lightening, in the middle of a car park in rural Spain. Under most circumstances this wouldn't be fun, but as kasabian happened to be playing in this car park, not one f**k was given #Benicassim

I hear you all ask yourselves, this boys year surely couldn't get any better, could it?

Well, the closing parties in ibiza were next on the list. Standing on the terrace in DeCe10 in a state of euphoria, I almost stopped dancing in amazement, as Seth Troxler unleashing tune after tune #Ibiza

To relax after the hectic summer I'd had, I went to Dortmund for a few days for the Scotland game in September #Germany

2014 = #dece

I want to swap for your life. Do you get your hole too?

It hasn't been the year I thought it would be to be honest.

In July I graduated from uni with a 2:1 which was a very proud moment for myself and my family and I had a great day with all the folk I'd gotten to know so well over the four years. I was positive about the future and my job prospects but here I am at the end of 2014 still unemployed after a countless number of job rejections. It knocks the stuffing out of you but you need to try and find the motivation to keep applying. I'm hoping 2015 can be a lot more positive in that regard.

Other positives include two family weddings, one of which gave me the opportunity to go on my first stag weekend. We went to Prague, had a ball and I made a couple of friends out of it. I also went on a weekend up north with uni friends which was great fun.

Despite relegation in April, seeing Hearts surge to the top of the Championship has been fantastic and my dream of seeing Hearts win a league title remains very much alive.

The biggest negative for me was breaking up with my girlfriend. We weren't together for long, but things got very serious very quickly and we had made a lot of plans for the year ahead. A series of events triggered us getting together initially, and it perhaps happened too early but she broke my heart and I found it very, very difficult to come to terms with. It has had a big impact on my confidence levels and has made me think about a lot of things. We are still friends, but it just doesn't feel the same. I always wonder what could have been with her.

My friends have continued to be there for me when I need them, and I've met some new people who I get on very well with which is great. I've got a great bunch of pals which keeps me going a lot of the time.

Hopefully 2015 can be a better year for me and that I can start making my way up the career ladder, which is the first priority.

Largely good year, overall.

Another successful year at work with some promotion opportunities on the horizon. Things going well with the other half and had some cracking weekends away during the year - Manchester in August was the highlight.

Having the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow was just fucking tremendous. Went to four events and also got tickets to the Closing Ceremony which was incredible. Unforgettable stuff. Going to see Kylie last month was also pretty sweet.

Petty downside to the year was Morton's continued slide towards oblivion. The folks split up this year, which is not so petty. Could turn out to be a good thing as my Dad was fucking around with randoms via Bookface (again) so my Mum is well rid. Christmas has been tough for her, though, as it would be after 32 years of marriage.

But, aye, apart from that a pretty decent year.

Archived